I am looking for a big rocket.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
uggh you should see my build pile. trying now to solve a problem with my high powered superroc "a really terrible idea" gotta get the new switches to work then test them. if you're interested in really big superrocs come to LDRS where I'll be flying my 4" diameter 43 foot long superroc. Maybe it will survive....

Again, not to be a major contributor to drifting this thread, LDRS is a definite possibility being as close as it is and seeing that at least 4 guys from our club are already going (and my wife would really enjoy the Finger Lakes region as part of the trip)…

cbrarik: You have a 43' rocket? I would love to see that thing fly! Are you from CT? I am from CO so I wouldn't be able to make it there.
Yea, it's the next generation of my "bad idea" line.

The first HP one was 3" diameter and 27' 9" it flew on a J480 and was successful "A really bad idea"
Now I have a 4" diameter 43 foot one to fly at LDRS this coming year. "A terrible idea"

I don't know if there will be another one but at least there's truth in advertising.....

What would I have to do to be able to fly the 5.5" rockets
If you look at the various kits on the Apogee site they will tell what motors are appropriate for them.
In general you can build and launch rockets using a single G motor without certification, for motors bigger than that you would have to go through the steps to get L1 or higher certification. Where you live there are various clubs around that have launches you could attend. There are likely places you could go farther east to launch if you could make friends with the right landowner. It takes a pretty big piece of land to launch G size motors and above.

Would the Richter Recker be a good rocket for a E9-6? I could start out on a smaller engine possibly? I have made about 10 rockets but never flown one with an engine bigger than a C. Do you think I can handle making this rocket? Would this rocket perform poorly if its a windy day? I don't know how an E engine rocket flies so was wondering about the wind factor.
https://www.fliskits.com/WPRESS/product/richter-recker/
Read the description, it says clearly what motors it recommends, though anytime you see "E9," mentally replace it with "E12" as E9's have not been made for a long time due to reliability issues, and was replaced by the E12.

The Richter Recker is also a cluster rocket, calling for three motors per flight. Again, read the description.

If you want a tall rocket that uses 29mm motors, take a look at the Aerotech Mirage.

https://aerotech-rocketry.com/products/product_161cb510-cf09-efbf-d29f-04c2f081786e
As others have pointed out, unless you are wealthy enough to buy and clear your own land for a private launch site, your only hope for flying whenever you want is to find a public park that is large enough and get permission to use it, or befriend a farmer and ask him to let you use his land. Joining NAR or Tripoli and pointing out that you have liability insurance for any damage you cause may help. If you can't or don't want to do that, find a club near you. Colorado has a few of them.

Hi there.

I get the impression that you are in a hurry / looking for folks to give you all the answers here. (And this is, without a doubt, indeed a great place for answers!)

However, the fact - at least in my opinion, and I have been flying a longgg time - is that like anything, learning takes time. I have noted that a lot of folks have already suggested that you go talk to other folks (i.e. go find a club launch somewhere) and this will help you better understand what it is you want in your flying. Reading the High Power Rocketry book is also good. Heed their wise words!

Don't just run out and 'buy a big rocket'. This is not like model rockets on a A, B, C motor, where you can just find any old baseball field or soccer pitch and go fly. Seriously, do yourslef a favor and go find a local launch and hang out for a day or so. (Yes it may be a bit of a road trip, and this time of year, depending on what part of the country youre in, there might be nothing going on. But its worth it on some many levels. You see a lot of stuff, and meet a lot of helpful, and smart folks. Some of the bigger ones even have vendors in attendance, so you can buy locally if you decide on something!

And by the way, LOC/Precision is AWESOME. Many of us got our start in MP/HPR on LOC rockets... (Aerotech has good MPR stuff also.)

All the best, and be patient! :)

Tomorrow is my day off. I was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction for videos and reads that will get me more educated with the hobby. I want to soak up as much knowledge as possible so please shoot me some stuff guys! Thank you for your time!

Tomorrow is my day off. I was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction for videos and reads that will get me more educated with the hobby. I want to soak up as much knowledge as possible so please shoot me some stuff guys! Thank you for your time!
You are obviously in too much of a hurry to actually read/watch some of the links and videos you have already been provided. Please do yourself the favor and READ/WATCH the content in these posts before coming back with more questions.
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/i-am-looking-for-a-big-rocket.184201/#post-2534962https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/i-am-looking-for-a-big-rocket.184201/page-2#post-2535322

I would like to purchase a large rocket thats Mid Power. Preferably 5 or 6 feet tall but I don't know where to buy the rockets of these size on the internet. Is there a website to purchase large rockets? Any help would be great!
Locprecision.com the best in the business

So, given the extreme hurry you seem to be in, I have a handful of recommendations.

First: Slow down. We’re trying to help and providing you with all kinds of relevant information. Read through what’s been provided and make sure you understand. Ask questions if the links present something you don’t understand, but do take a careful look at them all.

Second: You are likely better off starting with something that flies in the A-D motor range. Such rockets will usually be a few inches to two feet tall and weigh a few ounces. Everything you learn there can be put to use when you fly the big one.

Here’s a few suggested options to get you started:

Estes Luna Bug, a “fire and forget” rocket that runs on mini-sized motors.

https://estesrockets.com/products/luna-bug
Estes Hi-Flier, a minimum-diameter altitude demon

https://estesrockets.com/products/hi-flier
Estes Boosted Bertha, a heavy two-stager

https://estesrockets.com/products/boosted-bertha
Estes Space Corps - Lunar Scout, a draggy small-field rocket powered by mini-sized motors

https://estesrockets.com/products/space-corps-lunar-scout-rocket
Estes Tazz, spin recovery

https://estesrockets.com/products/tazz
Estes Comanche-3, a three-stager that is well-known for being tricky to recover when loaded up with big motors.

https://estesrockets.com/products/comanche-3
Only when you’re confident and skilled flying smaller models will you be ready for E power and up. Big rockets can bite.

My recommendation for the Mean Machine still stands, however. It’s a neat design that also does well on D12 motors.

Loc Precision, MadCow, Erockets.Biz to name a few. Balsa Machining Service sells the 3" School rocket, which is the CHEAPEST 5-foot rocket I've found that's "mid-power" (29mm E/F/G) -- just check all the options (longer body tube, payload bay etc etc), and it works out to just shy of 5ft. Make sure you do the rail buttons too, because launch lugs are a no-no at that size. Builds nice, and it's impressive when completed. Mine (Moondog) flies great, I so overbuilt it I may do my L1 with this sucker, as it doesn't even go that high (like 600ft) on a G.

The difference between E12-4 and E12-6 is that E12-6 takes longer to deploy the parachute?
Ok, you're clearly not even versed with Model Rockets to be asking this sort of question.

If you don't understand these sorts of basics on LPR, you run a serious risk of injury to yourself or others. And if you jump into MPR with no experience, it can be worse. Even LPR can go sideways with this lack of knowledge/experience.

Trust the wisdom here: PLEASE, SLOW DOWN!

Dude, seriously! Read up on basic model rockets first. Build them. Go fly a bunch of them... understand them...
Take your time! Have some fun!

But above all, BE SAFE!
(and being in a hurry is not generally complimentary to safety!)
It doesn't have to take years to get to where you want to be.

EVERYONE HERE IS TRYING TO HELP YOU! So do yourself a favor, LISTEN.

The difference between E12-4 and E12-6 is that E12-6 takes longer to deploy the parachute?
I think you need to watch a few John Coker youtube videos before you attempt to fly anything larger than a 1/2A motor. Leapers are cheap and they'll get you started. Like everyone else in this hobby, you should start with a few Estes rockets, learn how to build 'em, what works and what doesn't.

For example, we had someone jump in here trying to make an L1 rocket as his first rocket -- we got questions like how tight the nose cone needs to be. This is something you only get from experience. I can describe it, but it'll never *really* answer the question until you've experienced it for yourself.

Just to note, OP said he has built about 10 rockets but has not used a motor bigger than a C.

I'm surprised no one has brought it up yet, but another good idea would be for you to download OpenRocket and try it out. Experience with simulation software is vital if you intend to get serious about the hobby. At the very least, OpenRocket or RockSim will help you match rockets to motors they can fly on safely.

Just to note, OP said he has built about 10 rockets but has not used a motor bigger than a C.

I'm surprised no one has brought it up yet, but another good idea would be for you to download OpenRocket and try it out. Experience with simulation software is vital if you intend to get serious about the hobby. At the very least, OpenRocket or RockSim will help you match rockets to motors they can fly on safely.
Good catch.

Probably best to stay in the C range and experiment with, at the very least, delay time and how it affects the flight profile.

OP also said they wanted a bigger rocket, then they bought a mean machine at 79 inches. We should have caught on he was trying to say he wanted a "taller" rocket. When he said bigger, we all went to level 1 an some even went to 38mm. So we all kind of need to slow down.

The questions the OP is asking don't indicate even that level of experience.
Built "about 10"? Perhaps.
Flown 'about 10?'... the OP's questions definitely don't imply that.

for example, i't's probably safe to say that most of us knew at least the basics behind motor eject-delay time within the first few flights ever.... (back in our "rocketry-infancies!") (I was 10)

OpenRocket/RS is a good idea, but they still don't replace basic, ground level experience. OR is great, I use it a lot. But one has to have enough experience to look at the output and say: "...Hmmmm, that doesn't look right," or "nope, tolerance to x is to close/far-out"

Kinda of like current California primary school Math these days... they teach with calculators... some of these kids punch in some number, and get an answer, not thinking that it doesn't make sense. (3 x 3+(1-2)= 432..... (uh... NO)

Gotta LEARN the basics: SLOW DOWN, Read, and then go fly *different* C motors, and A, and B, and then a Ds... Then he will have a better understanding of, and answers to the questions has asking, not to mention the data from OpenRocket / RockSim.

(And the OP is asking about E motors, so, we did not in fact jump to fast!... )

OP also said they wanted a bigger rocket, then they bought a mean machine at 79 inches. We should have caught on he was trying to say he wanted a "taller" rocket. When he said bigger, we all went to level 1 an some even went to 38mm.
Actually I believe OP asked specifically about mid-power rockets and asked for a 5 foot tall rocket that was mid-power. Now, the "Mean Machine" does sorta come into that category, being a 24mm D and E powered rocket, but it's really a stretch to call it a Mid-power rocket, but perhaps "mid power" isn't as well defined as we would like it to be? I consider that to be E-G, but perhaps that's my fault.

Perhaps it's my curious/inquisitive/sometimes-suspicious nature, but to me something doesn't seem right regarding the original post. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Kinda of like current California primary school Math these days... they teach with calculators...
how do you know that? did you take one of those classes? really? I call BS. Source: GF is 5th grade teacher.

Back