I am looking for a big rocket.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clodbuster

Reaction score
I would like to purchase a large rocket thats Mid Power. Preferably 5 or 6 feet tall but I don't know where to buy the rockets of these size on the internet. Is there a website to purchase large rockets? Any help would be great!

Binderdesign.com has large rockets that can be flown on 38mm motors (the original Velociraptor was a 38mm powered rocket). And after you've flown them as MPR you can use them to go to HPR.

Buyrocketmotors.com has kits, and obviously, motors. Balsa Machining Service Balsamachining.com has their 24mm powered 3” School Rocket that had options for 29mm motors, plywood fins/rings and an extended body tube but those options are gone from the site - try contacting them and see if the parts are still available. eRockets.biz has more rocket parts and kits than just about anyone.

I’m going to make an assumption that the OP is relatively new to rocketry and could use some good references - the already mentioned Apogee site has reams of info on every aspect of LPR/MPR/HPR rocketry, John Coker’s site is another, JCRocket.com, Mountain Man Rocketry Mountainmanrockets.com is another good reference, and, naturally the NAR site - Chris Michielssen’s step by step build techniques linked on the Model Rocketry tab are a great place to start.

The simplest solution for a rocket the OP asked about would be an Estes #9719 Super Big Bertha, an extra length of body tube, P/N 46009 for the 23.5” tube, and a coupler #3178. I extended my SBB by 8” for a payload bay but considered using the whole tube length for a 5’ rocket just for the look.

Last edited:
Buyrocketmotors.com has kits, and obviously, motors. Balsa Machining Service Balsamachining.com has their 24mm powered 3” School Rocket that had options for 29mm motors, plywood fins/rings and an extended body tube but those options are gone from the site - try contacting them and see if the parts are still available.
29mm MMT here with 34" tube and 11" payload options.
This is a great deal (price, quality) and a nice flying rocket. I have this one and its about 5 feet tall. Flies great on an F52 and other motors.

I purchased the Mean Machine. What about this Mammoth? It seems a bit pricey!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3259530678...Savxa5/r+JYFcgAo2IUCA6DqzZ|tkp:Bk9SR7jAtZ6fYw

The E2X PSII kits were/are ok for what they are - I bought mine during the Hobbico pre-bankruptcy sell down for not much more than half price - but unless you find the looks or ease of building (no finishing required but you need to use epoxy to build them) really appealing there are much better choices out there for similar money.

EDIT now that I clicked on the Ebay link there is no way I’d pay anything close to the seller’s price! Unless you’re a completist collector paying $100+ for an Estes Mammoth is not a good value!

The Mean Machine is a good choice for a bigger rocket - one quirk they have is if you paint one a dark color they can temporarily warp if left in the sun on a warm day!

Last edited:
Check out the Aerotech line of rockets, there big, easy to build, an if you stick with 29mm you don"t have to be certified to buy the engines an avoid paying hazmat fees for shipping motors. 29mm motors are still in the reasonable price range also. Just pick whatever rocket you like, an do a google search for who has the best sale on it.

Would these rockets be bad if launched in the wind?
https://locprecision.com/collections/rockets-5-54-diameter
Find a local NAR or Tripoli club near you that has a high power field, go to a high power launch, meet people and pose these questions there please. Not implying that these questions are not appropriate, they are but you will learn more in a day or a weekend collaborating with folks face to face.

If that's not doable, buy this and read it please: https://www.amazon.com/Modern-High-...MIs_qntO_fgwMVj11HAR2dVgNpEAQYASABEgIzofD_BwE

So do any of these rockets use E, F, or G motors. What size are the 29mm motors? Please excuse my ignorance. Here are some 5.5" rockets I am wondering about:

https://locprecision.com/collections/rockets-5-54-diameterWhat would I have to do to be able to fly the 5.5" rockets

Those rockets do not fly on E, F, or G motors. Those are all heavy enough that they all require at least H or I motors, and some would fly on J motors or even larger motors.

What would you have to do to fly them? To purchase and fly H or I motors, you would need to earn your Level 1 High Power Certification (AKA your L1 cert to fly L1 motors). To fly J, K, or L motors, you need an L2 cert.

By the kinds of questions you are asking, I’d say you have a little bit of work to do to be ready for L1, but it’s not that hard. The most practical way to get there is to join a rocketry club and watch, ask questions, and learn. The club will have the right people to sign off your certification and will handle the legal logistics of conducting a high-power launch, such as getting the FAA waiver. If you spend about a year working your way up and flying E, F, and G motors, you will probably be ready.

I like flying large sized rockets too. Fly some big E and F powered rockets, and when you are ready to fly your first G, I can definitely recommend the Aerotech G-Force. It’s 5’ tall, 4” diameter, and at around 2 pounds, it is relatively lightweight for that size, so that’s about as big as you can go on G motors. That’s a big, fun rocket, for sure!

Can you guys let me know where I can find a dirt or grass launch site that I can go to anytime I want? I would really like to shoot off my rockets anytime I want too.

Back in stock now on the Fliskits site.

I really hadn’t looked very closely at the RR - dang it, just what I don’t need, yet another kit on the shelf in the rocket shop! 😆

uggh you should see my build pile. trying now to solve a problem with my high powered superroc "a really terrible idea" gotta get the new switches to work then test them. if you're interested in really big superrocs come to LDRS where I'll be flying my 4" diameter 43 foot long superroc. Maybe it will survive....

Can you guys let me know where I can find a dirt or grass launch site that I can go to anytime I want? I would really like to shoot off my rockets anytime I want too.

Few people have that luxury. Finding launch sites is one of the biggest hurdles we have.

Search the forum for “finding launch sites” or similar strings and you’ll see what many are going through.

If you’re near a rural area, find a farmer or someone who owns good land to befriend.

Would the Richter Recker be a good rocket for a E9-6? I could start out on a smaller engine possibly? I have made about 10 rockets but never flown one with an engine bigger than a C. Do you think I can handle making this rocket? Would this rocket perform poorly if its a windy day? I don't know how an E engine rocket flies so was wondering about the wind factor.
https://www.fliskits.com/WPRESS/product/richter-recker/

cbrarik: You have a 43' rocket? I would love to see that thing fly! Are you from CT? I am from CO so I wouldn't be able to make it there.

Strongly recommend you fly with a club. They do all the paperwork. You have a lot to learn from the other folks in the club.

Back