HyperTEK hybrid motor mounting

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benLuo

Reaction score
I have been looking everywhere for information on mounting HyperTEK hybrid motors, particularly the HyperTEK M1000 4630/98-R-G-M. Can anyone here point me towards some mounting instructions? A diagram with the parts needed would be much appreciated!

I don't have the motor any more (but I do have the adapter plate)

So the issue with the large M motors was the tank is 98mm but the grain is only 75mm in diameter. The 98mm mount differently than the 54 mm motors!!!

There is an aluminum adapter, 75mm ID and 98mm OD that slips over the top of the grain BEFORE you screw it into the motor, it is trapped by the ring on the end of the grain. this kept the motor from going into the rocket but doesn't retain it. The adapter has (4) threaded holes in it to screw on the retainer plate. You may be able to fit this directly into a Aeropack style retainer without the retainer plate but im not sure. I still have the adapter, I modified it use a 75mm contrail in the mount I had for the 98. Kind of a pain to pull it for a picture....

The retainer plate is attached from below in over the nozzle. The (4) screws attach the retainer plate to the adapter, trapping the grain.

Retainer plate and hypertek M. The (4) screws you see are the ones holding the adapter to the retainer, the 4 holes WITHOUT screws in them, are for screws to hold the retainer plate TO the rocket. I didn't have those screws in for this picture.
1644020763268.png

Different Rocket from the first picture, the metal plate on the base has the (4) holes that the retainer screws into. I added riv-nuts to the holes later in the build.
1644022626837.png

Picture of a M 1010/1040 grain. The grain is 75 mm diameter NOT 98mm like the tank. The adapter slips in from the left over the grain and around the step on the right. It is 98mm OD. The retainer plate then sandwiches the step. So there is one problem you may have with the Aeropack, the slot on the end of the motor is how it is held on the fill stem using a cable tie. The cable tie burns through from the GOX/High Voltage starting the grain burning. The timing of this burning through is very critical anything the gets in the way is bad. How bad? Ask me why I don't have any new pictures of the first rocket... It didn't land so much as it created a debris field, shall we say closed casket funeral.....

1644022665283.png

Mike (really easy with a Contrail, sure you want to do this?) K.

Attachments

• 1644022579044.png
    1644022579044.png
    430 KB · Views: 7
benluo,

Before you spend too much time on this, have you talked to Contrail, I think he ahas motors that you could use? And if you are planning to use Hypertek, have you found someone who has ALL of the hardware, GSE and grains that have been 'well maintained' might be better to find that stuff IF you want to do Hypertek...

Mike K

I don't have the motor any more (but I do have the adapter plate)

So the issue with the large M motors was the tank is 98mm but the grain is only 75mm in diameter. The 98mm mount differently than the 54 mm motors!!!

There is an aluminum adapter, 75mm ID and 98mm OD that slips over the top of the grain BEFORE you screw it into the motor, it is trapped by the ring on the end of the grain. this kept the motor from going into the rocket but doesn't retain it. The adapter has (4) threaded holes in it to screw on the retainer plate. You may be able to fit this directly into a Aeropack style retainer without the retainer plate but im not sure. I still have the adapter, I modified it use a 75mm contrail in the mount I had for the 98. Kind of a pain to pull it for a picture....

The retainer plate is attached from below in over the nozzle. The (4) screws attach the retainer plate to the adapter, trapping the grain.

Retainer plate and hypertek M. The (4) screws you see are the ones holding the adapter to the retainer, the 4 holes WITHOUT screws in them, are for screws to hold the retainer plate TO the rocket. I didn't have those screws in for this picture.
View attachment 503127

Different Rocket from the first picture, the metal plate on the base has the (4) holes that the retainer screws into. I added riv-nuts to the holes later in the build.
View attachment 503133

Picture of a M 1010/1040 grain. The grain is 75 mm diameter NOT 98mm like the tank. The adapter slips in from the left over the grain and around the step on the right. It is 98mm OD. The retainer plate then sandwiches the step. So there is one problem you may have with the Aeropack, the slot on the end of the motor is how it is held on the fill stem using a cable tie. The cable tie burns through from the GOX/High Voltage starting the grain burning. The timing of this burning through is very critical anything the gets in the way is bad. How bad? Ask me why I don't have any new pictures of the first rocket... It didn't land so much as it created a debris field, shall we say closed casket funeral.....

View attachment 503134

Mike (really easy with a Contrail, sure you want to do this?) K.

Hi Mike, thanks for all the info! Really appreciate it.

With reference to the first image you sent, I suppose that is the motor tube and the aluminum adapter and retainer plate sandwich an after centering ring in the motor tube? Also, does the said aluminum adapter come with the motor kit from HyperTEK?

benluo,

Before you spend too much time on this, have you talked to Contrail, I think he ahas motors that you could use? And if you are planning to use Hypertek, have you found someone who has ALL of the hardware, GSE and grains that have been 'well maintained' might be better to find that stuff IF you want to do Hypertek...

Mike K

No, we are getting the motor kit, fuel grains, and some GSE components from Sunward Hobbies, but we would still need to make the electrical components of the GSE ourselves. I emailed Tom from Contrail but I have yet to hear from him.

Nonetheless, I didn't see a hybrid motor that could fit our requirements (98mm or less in diameter and around 9k Ns) from Contrail in NAR's list of COTS motors:

http://www.nar.org/SandT/pdf/CombinedMotorsByImpulse.pdf

Yup, the first one shows it installed.

Make sure you understand how the whole drop tube / cable tie thing works for retention. Plus DO you understand how the high voltage GOX thing works?

Mike Kramer

No, we are getting the motor kit, fuel grains, and some GSE components from Sunward Hobbies, but we would still need to make the electrical components of the GSE ourselves. I emailed Tom from Contrail but I have yet to hear from him.

Nonetheless, I didn't see a hybrid motor that could fit our requirements (98mm or less in diameter and around 9k Ns) from Contrail in NAR's list of COTS motors:

http://www.nar.org/SandT/pdf/CombinedMotorsByImpulse.pdf

I am impressed that Sunward is still showing availability of HyperTEK components... and yes, you are correct, Contrail does not make a 98mm reload in the 9,000NS range, looks like 6034ns and 6060ns respectfully for the M2700 and the M2800.

Yup, the first one shows it installed.

Make sure you understand how the whole drop tube / cable tie thing works for retention. Plus DO you understand how the high voltage GOX thing works?

Mike Kramer

To my knowledge, the ignition system fills the combustion chamber with oxygen and relies on voltage breakdown between two wires in the combustion chamber to ignite the oxygen and the fuel. Then, the flame melts the cable ties holding the launch stem to the nox tank and the rocket lifts off, releasing nox into the combustion chamber for the full thrust of the motor.

Are you referring to the launch stem when you say drop tube?

Yes, the motor is filled with nitrous with a stainless tube that is inserted through the bell. When the cable ties burn through, the tube drops out of the rocket from the pressure in the tank, opening the nos tank. The cable ties dont hold the rocket, they hold the drop tube into the motor.

Yes, the motor is filled with nitrous with a stainless tube that is inserted through the bell. When the cable ties burn through, the tube drops out of the rocket from the pressure in the tank, opening the nos tank. The cable ties dont hold the rocket, they hold the drop tube into the motor.

This is a newer adaption of the old system that did not slide . The old system caused heavier rockets to simply sit on the pad after the cable ties burned thru simply because there was not enough tank pressure / force to lift the rocket off the stem. I watched a earlier M1000 burn the fill stem clean off the pad due to the owner just burning the O2 trying to get it to launch . Once the tube melted enough to fall out of the bell , then the rocket took off .

Everything I have on Hypertek

Attachments

• HyperTEK Weight.xls
    62 KB · Views: 7
  • Hypertek_Manual.pdf
    273.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Hypertek_motor_line_2001.pdf
    20.4 KB · Views: 10
  • M_with_Plate.pdf
    18.8 KB · Views: 11
  • M_without_Plate.pdf
    18.3 KB · Views: 10