Hybrids - What do I need to get started.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Right Wing Wacko

Reaction score
It's time to try something new. What do I need to get started with hybrids.

I thought about starting with the RATTWORKS H70 29mm kit as a first step, but I realize I will need more than just the motor and reload kit to get things running. What do I need in the way of ground support equipment. Remember I'm starting from scratch here.

That is a good question. What you need is your own Hybrid GSE. I built my own but there is GSE available from Pratt Hobbies. I am actually working on my second generation GSE right now. Here are the basics: 1) a 20 pound nitrous oxide tank 2) The plumbing to include a CGA adapter to your tank, a tee, a fill solenoid and a dump solenoid and the necessary adapters and hoses to connect to your motor's fill tube. 3) An electrical control system to control fill, dump, and launch. Finally you need a way to sense a filled nitous flight tank. You can visually see a plume but sometimes this is very small. My son and I are working on an electronic vent sensor that uses a thermistor to sense the liquid venting.

Back