How to Achieve this Paint Effect?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brockrwood

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
A nice lady gave me this used model rocket at a community meeting today. I think it is an old Quest rocket.

I like the paint scheme. It looks like it is just a base coat with a second, complementary color artistically sprayed over it.

Can anyone tell me how to achieve this paint effect?

IMG_5492.jpeg

IMG_5493.jpeg

Looks to me like it's soap sprayed.

Basically, the first color is sprayed and allowed to cure/dry. Then, a layer of thick liquid dish soap is sprayed on (practice on cardboard first to get the desired effect). After the soap sorta drys out a little, the top color is sprayed and allowed to cure/dry. Then the soap is simply washed off, taking the skin of paint that is over it with it, revealing the underlying pattern.

Resources here: https://www.google.com/search?q=soap+spray+painting

I think it was pretty simple. The light blue was sprayed on first, then the dark blue. To get the "blended" effect, the spray can was held at a greater distance so that only big blobs of spray got onto the rocket body.
I agree with this, it seems like the dark blue was simply sprayed on after the light blue and the transition is just from the spray itself. I don't see any evidence of mesh or soap being used...

I agree with this, it seems like the dark blue was simply sprayed on after the light blue and the transition is just from the spray itself. I don't see any evidence of mesh or soap being used...
Something like this. OK, this was the first attempt, and a bit heavy-handed, but I think it shows the effect. I think the top coat spray can has to be moved past *fast*. With a bit of experimentation, you could do more than two colors.

paint.jpg

Almost looks like a foam brush. Is it smooth like airbrushed paint or is there more of a texture?

I think it was pretty simple. The light blue was sprayed on first, then the dark blue. To get the "blended" effect, the spray can was held at a greater distance so that only big blobs of spray got onto the rocket body.
If you are real light and quick on the spray can button, you can get fades with a spray can. Or you can try a "soft mask". Basically a piece of card stock held an inch or so away from the rocket. Spray paint around the edges of the cardstock, and it will shield most of the background, while the edges get the fuzzy effect.

Something like this. OK, this was the first attempt, and a bit heavy-handed, but I think it shows the effect. I think the top coat spray can has to be moved past *fast*. With a bit of experimentation, you could do more than two colors.

View attachment 580168
I've had different spray cans that would do this to varying degrees, in fact before a spray can completely craps out it seems to spit out larger and larger droplets.

Back