how many rocketeers are L1, L2, or L3 certified in the US?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave S.

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am NAR level 1, and I was wondering how many folks are actually certified L1, L2, or L3 in the US? [NAR and Tripoli combined]

Saw something that the numbers for NAR are a lot lower than I would have thought. I can't seem to locate that now. I am not sure about Tripoli.

If anyone has the info, please post it. Curious minds just have to know. I suspect this is a real niche hobby.

Thanks!

I don't think anyone has the combined numbers, because you'd have to have the membership lists for both.

They're somewhere between min(NAR, Tripoli) and (NAR + Tripoli) for each level.

I'm having a hard time reading the NAR toals because of my eyes so what are the totals between the two organizations for the three levels? and total number of members?

I'm having a hard time reading the NAR toals because of my eyes so what are the totals between the two organizations for the three levels? and total number of members?
Click on the picture and pinch out.
There’s no easy way to answer the total spread across the two organizations because of overlap.

As I understand it, with Tripoli, your HP qualifications expire if you don't keep flying.

But with NAR, your qualifications are good forever.

I'm confused as to why everybody doesn't certify with NAR?

As I understand it, with Tripoli, your HP qualifications expire if you don't keep flying.

But with NAR, your qualifications are good forever.

I'm confused as to why everybody doesn't certify with NAR?
Some of the Tripoli members do EX, which NAR doesn't support. It doesn't matter which affiliation a club has, because they have cross-membership flying agreements other than EX.

I personally have both memberships because it's good to support the hobby in any way that I can.

If you don't stay a member. And full details on the expiration policies can be found here.

For Tripoli, but for NAR "NAR HPR certifications, once earned, are valid whenever NAR membership is current, and are reinstated upon request after membership lapses." So there is no requalification if your HP certification is via NAR

Some of the Tripoli members do EX, which NAR doesn't support. It doesn't matter which affiliation a club has, because they have cross-membership flying agreements other than EX.

I personally have both memberships because it's good to support the hobby in any way that I can.

I'm with you 100%.

Mike

I joined Tripoli initially, in early 2000. I joined NAR a few years after, and have been a member of each pretty much since then.

I do volunteer work for both, and think it's of value to the hobby that both exist.

-Kevin

From the July Email.

NAR Membership
Junior: 645
Leader: 1,614
Senior: 7,003
Life: 134
High Power Certified
Jr. Level 1: 144
Level 1: 2,171
Level 2: 1,643
Level 3: 673

Interesting, I've always thought it was easier to get an L3 with NAR. That's why I went the NAR way. From what I understood with tripoli was everything had to stick to your flight plan. While NAR had a little more flexibility. For example. My L3 main chute for some reason didn't inflate property so it came down faster than planned. However it landed safely, without damage, and if I had another motor I could of flown it again immediately. So I passed.

Interesting, I've always thought it was easier to get an L3 with NAR. That's why I went the NAR way. From what I understood with tripoli was everything had to stick to your flight plan. While NAR had a little more flexibility. For example. My L3 main chute for some reason didn't inflate property so it came down faster than planned. However it landed safely, without damage, and if I had another motor I could of flown it again immediately. So I passed.

I think the write-up was more challenging for NAR in the past, or at least my review of the rule made it look that way.

Personally the write up wasn't to bad for me. My L3 Guy allowed me to use my TRF post about the build as my write up with the addition to all the other sims, diagrams, checklists... which are a good idea to have anyway.

Latest posts

Back