How A Bird Stopped A Sonic Boom.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it’s a pop like a cork out of a bottle. A really big bottle.
"Sonic boom" sounds cool and is better click bait.
To be fair, they didn't say "supersonic" boom.

(And I guess "subconic" boom would make for a "subpar" title. Subman, Sub Duper, Subnova, Submassize black hole, Subcallafragallisticespealodocius ... you can't even use an exclamation mark ! with any of these 😆 ).

Last edited:
Just because a vehicle isn't traveling supersonically doesn't mean the airflow over it isn't supersonic in places. But I kind of doubt that's possible even with the bullet train.

I'd watch the video, but as soon as I told Safari that I didn't want to let Facebook track me, it stopped.

Just because a vehicle isn't traveling supersonically doesn't mean the airflow over it isn't supersonic in places. But I kind of doubt that's possible even with the bullet train.

I'd watch the video, but as soon as I told Safari that I didn't want to let Facebook track me, it stopped.
I think you're exactly right. I thought, but obviously could be wrong) that localized disturbances, resonances etc., could cause much higher local velocity than overall velocity. Having said that, I would hope that good engineering and manufacturing reduced those disturbances, which might be what the video is about. I too did not watch it, as the whole facebook video stuff is weird for me. I might look it up on youtube, just to throw the algorithm a curve ball.

Back