Holding out?

Discussion in 'Canadian Rocketry' started by Dipstick, Mar 22, 2020.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Mar 22, 2020 #1

Dipstick

Dipstick

Dipstick

Well my fellow Canadians, interesting times these are. How is everyone holding out?

I feel fortunate, as a teacher I get to keep working and don't have to worry about employment right now on top of the rest. To say the job description has changed and took some adjustment would be an understatement, but thankful for a lot right now.

I finished my 3D printed Mars Lander 2.0-Canadiana. The first version I printed I used the Estes/USA decals similar to the original Estes kit. My students were convinced that's the reason it went unstable, smacked into a tree trunk under the power of an E18, and shattered into tiny plastic shards lol.

Version 2.0 is reprinted now. I heeded my students advice and printed Canadian decals for it :) Looks ok at the moment, hopefully the better sim job will be accurate enough this time.

Look for flight photos in a future Earthrise.

What are people up to these days, how're you keeping busy?

Mars Lander.jpg

neil_w, Steve Shannon and dhbarr like this.
  2. Mar 22, 2020 #2

SavPrato

SavPrato

SavPrato

Spending time in isolation building models for the upcoming season, whenever it can start.

3. Mar 23, 2020 #3

Tyler P

Tyler P

Tyler P

Nom-nom-nom... TRF Supporter

Great Hobbies is still open, so I'm still working. I manage the Ottawa store and we actually have been moderately busy throughout this pandemic. People are hoarding stuff to work on like it's toilet paper. So far we've all managed to keep healthy by just being smart about how we go about our business. Washing our hands frequently and just giving everyone the space that's recommended. I don't know how much longer we'll be able to keep operating, but we're doing it for now.

Speaknoevil likes this.
  4. Mar 23, 2020 #4

Dipstick

Dipstick

Dipstick

Good to hear! In my student letter home with their work instructions I actually recommended as many as possible order a plastic model to work on. It's actually a great skill builder in reading, following directions and parts lists, visualization and the old hand-eye...curious to see how many do it.

Greg Furtman likes this.
  5. Mar 24, 2020 at 3:59 PM #5

Tyler P

Tyler P

Tyler P

Nom-nom-nom... TRF Supporter

Lol, and now today is our last day.

Yes, model building is a great skill to get early on. My son just took an interest in it and he's really enjoying it. Really starting to work on his attention to small details, which is a great thing!

Greg Furtman likes this.