Hobby Lobby- No Big Bertha?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Baby also has slightly smaller fins. If you don't see them side by side you would never know the difference. I've also know more than one person that has bought the Baby and just extended the body tube and called it a Big Bertha. The fins are more than large enough to be stable and you would never know the difference if a Big Bertha wasn't there to compare.
I bought one a few months ago just because it is so cheap. Now I'm trying to come up with some ideas for mods that would allow it to fly reasonably on a C6-3. My main idea would involve increasing the diameter with some transitions, sort of fattening it up.

Has anyone made a Boosted Baby Bertha or a Boosted Mini Bertha?

I am planning a scratch built Super Big Bertha and Super Baby Bertha (got nose cones and tubes but have been somewhat reticent to use that many sheets of my 2mm plywood.

Hmmmmmmm... Boosted Baby Bertha....that's an interesting idea. If one had a set of parts for the booster portion a stock Baby Bertha could probably work with no mods at all for the sustainer.

These two don't fit together as they should mainly because of the paint and exhaust residue from a number of flights are on the inside of the aft end of the Baby's body. But it would look like this without the 1/4 inch space between the stages as the coupler on the booster would fit into the aft end of the Baby.

Very interesting idea indeed.
'IMG_5384.jpg

A boosted Mini Bertha would be quite the performer, I would think.

I was pretty worried that would not be stable but looks like it would be... It is a little slow off the rod so looks like it benefits from a longer launch rod (the only difference in my 2 simulations is a 100cm vs. 200cm launch rod).

1642220940743.png

A standard Boosted Bertha, C6 to C6, is very slow off the rod, but fortunately has lots of margin. But it's not a combination for a breezy day. I have better luck with a B6 in the booster. It's another case where we could really use a C5-0, if it existed, even based on the relatively low total-impulse current C5-3s.

I built a Big Bertha a little while back and painted it like a barber shop pole. Added some small fins to the top part too. Turned out great but haven't flown it yet due to winter weather.

Attachments

• DSC_3859.JPG
    DSC_3859.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 25
Is that a Mean Machine or a Big Bertha?
Well, given that it seems to share absolutely nothing in common with a Big Bertha, other than maybe being BT60... I'm gonna go with Mean Machine. :)

Cool paint job. The forward finlets just in front of the barber pole give it a really interesting look.

The SBB is an awesome kit and, if built light and flown off a long rail/rod in still conditions, works well with an adapted Estes 24mm E12-4 - gets up around 430 feet. An adapted Aerotech E26-6 is a fun motor for the SBB too - better launch speed but only goes up to 550 feet. Great thing about the SBB is it’s flexibility - soccer field launch on an E motor or put a big ol’ H and really send it or use an Estes nifty long burn BP 29mm E or F for something in between 😉
It flies really nice on a G77 RMS, but I really shouldn't have put in a full ejection charge with a baffle. :oops:

Back