Hobby Lobby Reducing Wall Space for Rockets?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here in south-central PA, it looks the same. They also rearranged the entire hobby/toys area.

The same thing just happened here at the Castle Rock store. Exact same layout.
It appears this is happening everywhere with HL.
I'm rather surprised that the product selection hasn't changed in quite some time.

I could say something bitter, such as HL has aisle after aisle of silly, brown and orange “seasonal decor” items but they can’t dedicate more than 20 square feet to true “hobby” items, such as model rockets? Oh, dang I said it. Many communities have no “hobby shop” other than the local HL. They need to put the “H” back into the “HL”. I am writing a letter.

I could say something bitter, such as HL has aisle after aisle of silly, brown and orange “seasonal decor” items but they can’t dedicate more than 20 square feet to true “hobby” items, such as model rockets? Oh, dang I said it. Many communities have no “hobby shop” other than the local HL. They need to put the “H” back into the “HL”. I am writing a letter.

While I agree with you, perhaps its because they aren't seeing much in the way of sales? It certainly is a challenge to get kids interested in rocketry.

Corporate bean counters analyze the sales and give the valuable space to the products that sell more, it's all about the MONEY. the Executives NEED MORE MONEY
Are you suggesting they should devote more shelf space to items that don't sell as well? That'd be an interesting business strategy, for sure.

Are you suggesting they should devote more shelf space to items that don't sell as well? That'd be an interesting business strategy, for sure.
It would be an interesting discussion, but it certainly would devolve into personal politics, so nope, not going there.

I'm guessing Hobie doesn't run a retail business.

Space is a premium in retail, more than likely the PNL showed it wasn't producing.

HL's biggest issue with its rocket section is that its been the same 10-15 kits offered since they got the deal for the exclusives with Estes. I have no need to purchase further models from them and only occasionally motors. The schools dont typically purchase there, and most of the Scout troops order online from what I have seen. There are no new offerings to keep things interesting.

The Hobby Lobby in Longmont, Colorado, USA, has cut back on wall space for rockets. I hope this is a seasonal change and not permanent.

View attachment 604004
This is what @samb and my local Hobby Lobby looked like in recent years. Unfortunately in the past month or so they've shrunk the rocket section further.
HL's biggest issue with its rocket section is that its been the same 10-15 kits offered since they got the deal for the exclusives with Estes. I have no need to purchase further models from them and only occasionally motors. The schools dont typically purchase there, and most of the Scout troops order online from what I have seen. There are no new offerings to keep things interesting.
Very good point. The only kits I've bought at Hobby Lobby have been for parts, but I do always look to see if there's anything interesting I've not seen before, and there nearly never is.

I tend to buy motors there when I can just to give them some rocket sales for the bean counters to see, but if what I saw there recently is going to be the selection going forward, I'll just deal more with AC Supply.

Yeah, I've been through the kit selection there. It doesn't take long. They only have a handful of motor SKUs I buy. I mostly go to HL for the non-rocket-specific supplies that help me build rockets.

Yeah, I've been through the kit selection there. It doesn't take long. They only have a handful of motor SKUs I buy. I mostly go to HL for the non-rocket-specific supplies that help me build rockets.
I went there looking for C5-3’s. No luck. Large hazmat fees keep me from buying rocket engines online.

Also, I looked over the kits to see if any interesting kits were on the rack. Saw a couple but that’s all. It seems that I have all of the HL exclusive kits from Estes that I am interested in. Yes, I think Estes should release a new batch Hobby Lobby exclusive kits and send them to HL. Some of the late 90’s and early 2000’s kits from Estes were fun. Just change the name, paint scheme, and decals and release some “new” HL exclusives. Kind of like a “stealth bring back” of an old kit. Or just release some SPEV’s to HL as exclusives. Those can be fun.

I agree with why does HL have row after row after row of seasonal items, that I can tell aren't really moving that well. I mean, 200 of a given scare crow? And then comes a massive sale where they may or may not break even on these near give-aways. I know that Radio Shack many years ago went more from hobby to commercial and it cost them. Businesses, no mater how large, or how long they have been in business, sometimes do the dumbest things. Only HL truly knows, but I think they would do well to concentrate on "hobby".

I went there looking for C5-3’s. No luck. Large hazmat fees keep me from buying rocket engines online.

Also, I looked over the kits to see if any interesting kits were on the rack. Saw a couple but that’s all. It seems that I have all of the HL exclusive kits from Estes that I am interested in. Yes, I think Estes should release a new batch Hobby Lobby exclusive kits and send them to HL. Some of the late 90’s and early 2000’s kits from Estes were fun. Just change the name, paint scheme, and decals and release some “new” HL exclusives. Kind of like a “stealth bring back” of an old kit. Or just release some SPEV’s to HL as exclusives. Those can be fun.
I hadn't thought of that aspect much as I buy mostly motors at HL. With the current pricing their "your price" is within pennies of the same thing at AC Supply for things that they both carry.

The only "exclusive" left in the picture above is the Epic II, which is the Sterling Silver in different livery and is otherwise identical. Nice flying little MD two-stager, by the way, but don't fly it C to C unless you have a HUGE field and some good eyes to track the sustainer....

Even if they'd just rotate in some other regular Estes kits to keep up the variety (while maybe hanging on to Baby Bertha and the Generic E2X) would help some.

Scout groups and such can't really do HL unless they are very small, since there are seldom more than two or three of any one kit in stock at any one time.

Large hazmat fees keep me from buying rocket engines online.
The only Estes motors to which Hazmat applies are the Es and Fs. AC Supply has 30% off Estes and Quest motors with free shipping for orders over $100. On a few motors, HL is cheaper, and on anything where the price is comparable or only slightly more, I tend to give business to HL, but it's not hard to build up a $100 order from AC Supply on motors HL doesn't carry, especially when I do a group buy with friends.

Yes, I agree with the reasoning and the practice you laid out.

With the addition of Quest to AC Supply's line of products its easier than ever to get a $100 motor order together. (That reminds me, I need to drop Karl a note....)

With the addition of Quest to AC Supply's line of products its easier than ever to get a $100 motor order together. (That reminds me, I need to drop Karl a note....)
Once I burn through my vast stock of E28 reloads, I'll be buying a steady supply of E35s from AC Supply. That is just a brilliant motor at an already good MSRP, and AC Supply cuts the price by 30%.

This discussion just reminded me I forgot to put the Quest B motors I need into a recent AC Supply order. Time to round up another $100 order. 😐

The only Estes motors to which Hazmat applies are the Es and Fs. AC Supply has 30% off Estes and Quest motors with free shipping for orders over $100. On a few motors, HL is cheaper, and on anything where the price is comparable or only slightly more, I tend to give business to HL, but it's not hard to build up a $100 order from AC Supply on motors HL doesn't carry, especially when I do a group buy with friends.
So, if I order from AC, but only A through C engines are in the order, no HAZMAT fee? No matter how many engines I order?

So, if I order from AC, but only A through C engines are in the order, no HAZMAT fee? No matter how many engines I order?

A through D is good to go without HAZ for Estes BP.

For Quest, there is no HAZ on any of the motors, including the E35.

Order total over $100 gets you free shipping, no matter how much stuff you order.

A through D is good to go without HAZ for Estes BP.

For Quest, there is no HAZ on any of the motors, including the E35.

Order total over $100 gets you free shipping, no matter how much stuff you order.
i have been meaning to try the Quest 18mm composite motors and see how they perform. Maybe now is a good time to try them out!

I was just in my closest HL. The rocket stuff has been moved over a couple of aisles from where I’m used to seeing it, and the section looks very much like the picture in the top of this thread except that to the right of the Crossfire ISX are ESAM-58s and Olympuses and all the motor hooks were occupied — no blank spaces.

I forgot that the ESAM-58 and the Cherokee E are HL exclusives when I made my prior post (#20).

Back