Hobby Lobby- No Big Bertha?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArthurAstroCam

Reaction score
Was a little surprised to see that Hobby Lobby doesn't carry the Estes classic Big Bertha. Historically, I have seen this rocket everywhere that sold the Estes product line.

They don't. Though they do have the Baby Bertha, which is another excellent stepping stone kit.
Oh, this is good to know. I have considered building this, or the Super. But because the classic BB was what I built with my late father, that is the one I will probably go with. I have yet to make it into a Hobby Lobby, and have one right down the road from my office.

Instead of the Super, build two regular Bertha's and put a D mount in one of them.

Usually I only put 3 fins on them, and no motor hook.

Instead of the Super, build two regular Bertha's and put a D mount in one of them.

Usually I only put 3 fins on them, and no motor hook.
Graduating from an AstroCam running B's. A D motored craft would stretch my limits!

The 'D' motor by itself isn't the problem, but putting that in a regular Big Bertha could easily stretch your launch field beyond its reasonable limits. If I remember correctly, you mentioned having a fairly small launch area?

The 'D' motor by itself isn't the problem, but putting that in a regular Big Bertha could easily stretch your launch field beyond its reasonable limits. If I remember correctly, you mentioned having a fairly small launch area?
I have a few launch areas, that are larger overall in scope. One in particular. But with a D, in BB, I am likely looking at, what, 1200 feet, maybe? Have yet to fly that high.

The SBB is an awesome kit and, if built light and flown off a long rail/rod in still conditions, works well with an adapted Estes 24mm E12-4 - gets up around 430 feet. An adapted Aerotech E26-6 is a fun motor for the SBB too - better launch speed but only goes up to 550 feet. Great thing about the SBB is it’s flexibility - soccer field launch on an E motor or put a big ol’ H and really send it or use an Estes nifty long burn BP 29mm E or F for something in between 😉

Apogee has reloadable 24mm motors.

Yeah it costs more, it's worth it. BT60 rockets are fun. Huge streamers, or small chutes, depending on weather.

The SBB is an awesome kit and, if built light and flown off a long rail/rod in still conditions, works well with an adapted Estes 24mm E12-4 - gets up around 430 feet. An adapted Aerotech E26-6 is a fun motor for the SBB too - better launch speed but only goes up to 550 feet. Great thing about the SBB is it’s flexibility - soccer field launch on an E motor or put a big ol’ H and really send it or use an Estes nifty long burn BP 29mm E or F for something in between 😉
It even flies well on a D12-3. Slow takeoff, just enough altitude for full chute opening and a gentle landing right next to the launch pad.

A Super Big Bertha is a great rocket, but it's quite a bit more complicated to build than a Baby Bertha or standard Big Bertha. Thru wall fins that don't come pre-slotted, and each fin is multiple pieces. Not a great next step from the Astrocam.

I think the Booster Bertha is an awesome deal -- only a couple of dollars more than the Big Bertha and gives you a few worthwhile upgrades like the screw on retainers, booster w/ oversized fins, etc... The main sustainer section of the Boosted Bertha is the same as the Big Bertha (but w/ upgraded retainer).

https://www.acsupplyco.com/estes-1946-boosted-bertha-model-rocket-kit

I think Big Bertha in the classic style is right in my wheelhouse. And should have enough room to accommodate an Estes Altimeter, too.
Plenty of room. The Boosted Bertha is a good value. There are other Big Bertha like kits out there - the Quest Big Betty and the Discount Rocketry Big Bullet come to mind…

Of course just as soon as I think of this, I can no longer find an actual link to the picture of it, but someone had posted a picture of a really impressive upscale that was decorated in the style of Marge Simpson from the cartoon show, with her towering head of hair going up along the rocket. It was called the Large Marge. Maybe it was in the NAR magazine from an article about a club launch, I don’t remember where I saw it, but the paint job was equally impressive as the massive size of the upscale.

Of course just as soon as I think of this, I can no longer find an actual link to the picture of it, but someone had posted a picture of a really impressive upscale that was decorated in the style of Marge Simpson from the cartoon show, with her towering head of hair going up along the rocket. It was called the Large Marge. Maybe it was in the NAR magazine from an article about a club launch, I don’t remember where I saw it, but the paint job was equally impressive as the massive size of the upscale.
I might have seen a launch of this one on YouTube. But there are so many I have watched. The guy that really got me back is Hackaweek TV on YouTube. He built and flew a Big Bertha as a Born Again Rocketeer, which made me say to myself, "I remember doing that with Dad, that would be quite fun to get back into."

The payload version of big Bertha will get up to 1400' on a d12 & a four ounce payload.

They don't. Though they do have the Baby Bertha, which is another excellent stepping stone kit.
I went to hobby lobby here in las vegas today and bought a baby birtha. I got some Q-Jet D20-6W 18 mm motors Ive been wanting to tryout.

I pulled the trigger and ordered "classic" Big Bertha last night. It will be too cold to launch for the unforeseeable future, so this should be a fun Winter build.

I have a few launch areas, that are larger overall in scope. One in particular. But with a D, in BB, I am likely looking at, what, 1200 feet, maybe? Have yet to fly that high.

I've built and flown a BB on D, E and Composite F motors. With a D12-5 I've recorded 851 ft and 837 ft on my altimeter. Keep in mine that you can always adapt down to the 18mm motors or run the 24mm C11 motors which I personally feel are the perfect motor for a nice 500ft flight.

I've built and flown a BB on D, E and Composite F motors. With a D12-5 I've recorded 851 ft and 837 ft on my altimeter. Keep in mine that you can always adapt down to the 18mm motors or run the 24mm C11 motors which I personally feel are the perfect motor for a nice 500ft flight.
Thinking I may run some composites after getting the feel of the rocket with Estes C motors.

check out AC Supply. best prices on Estes kits anywhere. Order $100 of kits, engins and stuff and shipping is free. this way you could stock up on your winter build pile and get some D engines :) Big Bertha $20, D engine 2 pack $9. Love those guys

No love for the mini Bertha I guess,(probably why Estes doesn't sell them anymore). The mini brute version flew on 13mm motors.

No love for the mini Bertha I guess,(probably why Estes doesn't sell them anymore). The mini brute version flew on 13mm motors.
I thought there is still at least one Little Bertha offering in the catalog?

Back