High-Power vs High Power

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi TRF colleagues,

The determination of this excellent question depends upon whether or not the words high power serve as a noun in and of themselves or as an adjective.

Thus we have the following:

Example 1, where the words are a noun: This rocket is designed for high power. [no hyphen]

Example 2, where the words are an adjective: This is a high-power rocket. [hyphen]

But this leads to an even more challenging question. When used as an adjective, should the word power stand like that or should it be framed as a past participle? Here is the issue:

Possibility 1: This is a high-power rocket.

Possibility 2: This is a high-powered rocket.

Stanley

Hi TRF colleagues,

The determination of this excellent question depends upon whether or not the words high power serve as a noun in and of themselves or as an adjective.

Thus we have the following:

Example 1, where the words are a noun: This rocket is designed for high power. [no hyphen]

Example 2, where the words are an adjective: This is a high-power rocket. [hyphen]

But this leads to an even more challenging question. When used as an adjective, should the word power stand like that or should it be framed as a past participle? Here is the issue:

Possibility 1: This is a high-power rocket.

Possibility 2: This is a high-powered rocket.

Stanley
It's all Greek to me.

Hi @tsmith1315,

Yes, you have won me over. When used as an adjective, the word power should stand as it is and not be put into the form of a past participle. And now that I have checked what NAR says, that also seems to be its usage. See for example the following URL:

https://www.nar.org/high-power-rocketry-info/
Good work on your part.

Stanley

Back