Help with painting char/soot details

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hermanjc

Reaction score
Hello all. I recently finished building a new Falcon Heavy model. I want to add charring and soot on the boosters since that's how they typically look these days once they get recovered and reflown. I don't have an airbrush setup, so looking for any help on how to hand paint.

I plan to paint the landing legs and conduits solid black too.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_8051-1.jpg

I was told that Andy W. used a burning acetylene torch with the oxygen off (fuel rich) to put the burn marks on his massive X-wing rocket. That would probably be too coarse for something small like what you have. you may try eye shadow on a q-tip.

Honestly, F9 boosters end up so sooty that they essentially appear painted black. Off the top of my head, I would try these methods (on scrap first to test, of course):
1. Paint the boosters~90% full coverage with black spray paint. Stop when you can still see patches of white. This will simulate a very re-flown rocket.
2. Mist black spray paint from further than usual distance you would use if painting it for full coverage. This should achieve a more "spackled" look.
3. Spray black paint into a paper towel, cloth, etc and carefully wipe on the areas you want "flight-proven".
4. Combine 2 and 3: light spray black on the rocket, and then use a towel/cloth to blend/smooth it more.

Good luck, and show us your results!

FWIW: I've used a pencil to add such details. Write on the body tube, smudge that with your finger to get the desired look, then spray clear over it.

Pastel pencils. You can just draw it on or you can grind it into a powder and rub on. I like the latter myself. Can be cleared after.
+1 on pastel powder. You can get a set of grey pastel chalks from Hobby Lobby inexpensively. Grind those up with sandpaper, apply to the model with a soft, wide brush, and lock it all in place with a clear spray when you're satisfied. Be sure to practice on scrap material first!

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Art-Supp.../Pastels-Chalk/Gray-Tone-Chalk-Pastels/p/5552
I used this approach on my NCR X-Wing Fighter a quarter-century ago.

IMG_4706.jpeg

Load it up with smoky motors and fix it to the launch rod/rail above the blast plate? The clear coat.

That's based on how sooty my booster stages get from a sustainer smoky sam if I don't get good separation before ignition.

Thank you for all the suggestions! I'll be sure to post the results of my attempt.
Adam Savage on the Tested youtube channel uses lots of techniques. I think you might enjoy watching some of those videos. As I recall, he even used coffee for antiquing a case for something. Pretty creative.

Latest posts

Back