Hello World

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaddyB

Reaction score
Had a five year hiatus from rocketry that just ended. I teach at a tribal college where, when we have enough interest, we take part in the First Nations Launch. Our last foray was about five years ago, but we've entered with four students this year, and will be launching in a couple weeks. I certified at Level 2 years ago and have kept it up to date, but there have been some new products in the electronics and 3D printing arenas that I've been trying to keep up with recently.

:welcome: Welcome to the forum and use the search function for those two items, and they will come up with lots of information.

Welcome @DaddyB ! I'd like to hear more about the First Nations Launch.
It's a competition that originally began as a means of attracting Native American students into NASA fields. It has expanded quite a bit over the years (15 years? 16? I don't remember offhand) but is still aimed at Tribal colleges and AISES chapters at larger universities. Students compete at various difficulty levels, from basic kit building to more advanced full design with payload additions, but the premise is the same: follow NASA-based timelines, reporting and schedules for a successful launch and recovery. We have done well in the past, and hope to do well this year!

It's a competition that originally began as a means of attracting Native American students into NASA fields. It has expanded quite a bit over the years (15 years? 16? I don't remember offhand) but is still aimed at Tribal colleges and AISES chapters at larger universities. Students compete at various difficulty levels, from basic kit building to more advanced full design with payload additions, but the premise is the same: follow NASA-based timelines, reporting and schedules for a successful launch and recovery. We have done well in the past, and hope to do well this year!
I've spent quite a bit of time, including a full month in 2020, at Yellowtail Dam in Southeastern Montana, and was able to get to know some of the Crow workers there - good men and true! And I have a lot of sympathy with them, with Native Americans in general. I don't know why, there's plenty of groups that have received a raw deal, but I just really feel for them. It was a terrible collision of cultures that lead to the current mess, and I often wonder how it might have been handled better - maybe, among other issues, "little" things like honoring your word?

So I'm glad for what you are doing there, good on you, and welcome!

Back