Hello From Utah!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

22lrmarksmen

Reaction score
I just got my Level 1 Cert at the UROC season opener with my SBR Thor54. Flew on a H200 perfectly with a Jolly Logic altimeter II. It recorded 409mph, and 2950ft! I learned that tracking saves you LOTS of time looking for a rocket you thought went left. (It went right). I have already built a Thor 4" and plan to fly that soon. My dad already got me the Thor 5.5" for Christmas for my someday level III cert. I just bought a Wildman Blackhawk 29 and 38 minimum diameter to play with. They look so simple yet complex. Should be fun.

Thanks for including me on this forum!

2022-03-19 11.50.39.jpg2022-03-19 11.50.50.jpg2022-03-19 11.50.56.jpg2022-03-19 13.12.46.jpg

Welcome to the forum and I see that you are very proficient at building quality, exquisitely looking rockets. Almost too nice to fly. I think it's great that you found your favorite rocket in the Thor series. I'm building a SBR Diablo currently.

Welcome to UROC! I got my L2 cert on a 4" Thor at Frank Hunt Field with UROC a year ago in April. I wasn't able to make the launch this month but am planning on being there in April. Looking forward to seeing you there and at many future launches.

Welcome to UROC! I got my L2 cert on a 4" Thor at Frank Hunt Field with UROC a year ago in April. I wasn't able to make the launch this month but am planning on being there in April. Looking forward to seeing you there and at many future launches.
Do you have any photos or details of your 4" launch?

Great flight. It was fun to see all the Thors out there at the launch. Congrats on the level up. See you in April.
Were you there this month? My dad flew his 3" Thor on pad #3. I was on #1 right before him. There was another Thor54 that had a bad motor and failed to launch 3x. I've seen a lot of Thors fail and I've started to think there is a Thor curse or something. Luckily our two Thors were flawless.

Were you there this month? My dad flew his 3" Thor on pad #3. I was on #1 right before him. There was another Thor54 that had a bad motor and failed to launch 3x. I've seen a lot of Thors fail and I've started to think there is a Thor curse or something. Luckily our two Thors were flawless.
I was there yes. Jason’s was that didn’t want to go. The Thor is a cool rocket. Really cool when you put them up up on a fast burning motor that way the coast for a while and you can here the split fin whistle. I launched my first scratch built rocket. It was a Level 1 certification flight with Tripoli even though I am L2 with NAR. Hope to be there next month as well b

I bet Utah is a great place to fly - I'll have to time my next visit (daughter lives there) with a launch.

I bet Utah is a great place to fly - I'll have to time my next visit (daughter lives there) with a launch.
Check the website for launch dates. UROC.org. We have a launch scheduled in April at our west desert site (Frank Hunt Field in Google Maps), one in May at our new launch site between Green River and Moab (check the website for the altitude waiver—it‘s pretty impressive), a couple in the fall at Frank Hunt again (fire restrictions permitting), and our annual trip to BlackRock the weekend after Balls. Please come and join us. You won’t meet a better group of people.

Do you have any photos or details of your 4" launch?
I flew it 5 times last year:
On a J350 for the L2 cert flight in April
On a J500 in May
On a K540 at LDRS 39 on the Salt Flats
On a J420 at the Black Rock Launch
and on a K550 in November

To make it strong enough to handle the bigger motors I fiberglassed the body tubes and did tip to tip fiberglass on the fins. Overkill most likely, but it has flown great so far and when I spoke with Scott Binder about it at LDRS last year and told him the motor I was flying it on he seemed a bit nervous about it staying together until I mentioned I had glassed the whole thing. Once he knew about the fiberglass he was confident it would hold up fine and it has.

Attachments

• IMG_20210417_115105.jpg
    IMG_20210417_115105.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 10
I flew it 5 times last year:
On a J350 for the L2 cert flight in April
On a J500 in May
On a K540 at LDRS 39 on the Salt Flats
On a J420 at the Black Rock Launch
and on a K550 in November

To make it strong enough to handle the bigger motors I fiberglassed the body tubes and did tip to tip fiberglass on the fins. Overkill most likely, but it has flown great so far and when I spoke with Scott Binder about it at LDRS last year and told him the motor I was flying it on he seemed a bit nervous about it staying together until I mentioned I had glassed the whole thing. Once he knew about the fiberglass he was confident it would hold up fine and it has.

Wow! That's amazing. Since I did not fiberglass mine, what would you suggest my limit is (motor wise)?

Wow! That's amazing. Since I did not fiberglass mine, what would you suggest my limit is (motor wise)?
As long as you followed the build instructions and used good build techniques I would say you should be completely safe using any of the recommend motors per the kit instructions: H123W, I154J, I161W, I200W, I211W, J350W, J275W, J180T, J415W, J135W, and K185W. These should all produce a great flight or any other similar motors to these from the various motor makers out there.

Do you know any of the altitudes with those motors? Do you know the weight at which you launched?
I only flew with altimeters for the J420R and K550W flights. The others I used motor ejection with no onboard electronics. The J420R went to 2170' and the K550W flew to an altitude to 5881'. The rocket without a motor weighs about 8 lbs. and about 9 lbs. with electronics.

Back