GUNS & ROCKETS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Talking about .45 Springers and 22 target pistols, here are my favorites. The Pro is really a great shooter and with that 20lpi checkering and those 10-8 grips no matter how sweaty my hands get in this crazy Texas heat I never worry about losing my grip.

I do agree that for target shooting a .22LR can't be beat, especially now that ammo is becoming readily available again. Like rharshberger, I also shoot a Model 41 and a High Standard Supermatic (Trophy model) as well as a Colt Woodsman Match Target. But lately my favorite .22LR target pistol is a Nelson Custom 22LR conversion on a Dan Wesson Valor frame with a red dot sight. While I still really like iron sights, my eyes aren't what they used to be. But I did just win my family's annual shooting contest against nephews half my age using iron sights on a Model 41 so I felt pretty good about that.

The problem with target shooting is that if you get hooked it can make rocketry seem like an inexpensive hobby.

Tony

View attachment 296839View attachment 296840View attachment 296841View attachment 296842

That Nelson is beautiful, and +1 competitive shooting can be very expensive...

What you all need is my favorite plinker. A Springfield Custom Shop V16. It is a 6", ported, 1911 45 acp. Lovely pistol. I had a few accuracy issues which boiled down to the single stack being to slim for my hands. Bought a set of Hogue over molded grips and tightened groups right up. This is not my pistol, but is exactly what it looks like except for the grips.

View attachment 296735

Very nice! I have a SS V16 long slide, but the accuracy isn't what I was hoping for.

Was that one from the factory that way or sent to the custom shop for work? I'm considering the latter, but was wondering what the cost might be. Also what would be considered a good group with that at 50'? :)

Here's a cool and interesting gun video about a 30's era pistol with a horseshoe shaped 35 rd. magazine.
It's obviously one of the Colt/Browning clones, but the video is about the cool magazine, and the markets it was intended to reach back in the day.

[video=youtube;-8dc7vZjx8E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8dc7vZjx8E[/video]

Here's a cool and interesting gun video about a 30's era pistol with a horseshoe shaped 35 rd. magazine.
It's obviously one of the Colt/Browning clones, but the video is about the cool magazine, and the markets it was intended to reach back in the day.

[video=youtube;-8dc7vZjx8E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8dc7vZjx8E[/video]

And another oddity from France, and widely known as the "worst machine gun ever" ,

the Chauchat
Chauchat.jpg

Wow! at least the mods didn't close the thread entirely, they just deleted the offensive posts, which is good because this has been an enjoyable and relaxing thread that until today had no real politics or menace involved.

Hope I didn't step on any toes in here. I thought I was fairly midroad, but then doesn't everyone always?

Cheers,
-dh.

PS: Gyrojet

Last edited:
Very nice! I have a SS V16 long slide, but the accuracy isn't what I was hoping for.

Was that one from the factory that way or sent to the custom shop for work? I'm considering the latter, but was wondering what the cost might be. Also what would be considered a good group with that at 50'? :)

All V16 were actually made in the custom shop. They are no longer made to the best of my knowledge.

I think 3" or so with any 45 would be a nice group at 50. The accuracy of pistols in general and the 45 in particular is not that awesome. It is a short, stubby, heavy bullet moving kind of slow.

Also the design of this with a coned barrel versus a bushing might be part of the issue too.

The picture is not mine. Mine was identical until I swapped the stock grips for the Hogue molded grips. That helped me a bunch. Frankly, I shoot infrequently these days so it is more accurate than I am.

I'm attempting to make a bolt action receiver... I start with a 4140 pre hardened (40RC) and the stuff is hard to machine...

I'm going to try and machine the raceway in pieces... first using a combination of drilling small holes, then end mill, then smaller end mill, then file. Then the section with the ejection port will be machined directly, and then the same thing on the other end. It's very ambitious, but I do have a blank with the raceway broached in case it doesn't work out.

Wow! at least the mods didn't close the thread entirely, they just deleted the offensive posts, which is good because this has been an enjoyable and relaxing thread that until today had no real politics or menace involved.

Hope I didn't step on any toes in here. I thought I was fairly midroad, but then doesn't everyone always?

Cheers,
-dh.

PS: Gyrojet

No worries here guys, I reported a post from the group of posts that was removed and asked that the mods clean up the "Troll" postings from the subject poster before the thread went down a dark path.

To that end, a big thank you to the mods for the discrete pruning of this thread, it is very much appreciated that we can still enjoy this topic here on the Rocketry Forum.

Hey guy's
may I ask you all a question ??
I know you're all up on pricing..
And I know 22LR ammo has been up and down like a roller coaster,, mostly up though...
Is this a good price for 22LR ammo ??

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2..._-hotbuy-_-troy_landry_cci_minimag-_-20161209

Thank you always guy's,,

Teddy

I just paid $7.47 per 100rd. box of .22lr CCI MiniMags at the local Walmart. They only let me buy 3 boxes. Said it was the law. I never heard of that law before. Although it may be a Walmart policy. :surprised:

I just paid $7.47 per 100rd. box of .22lr CCI MiniMags at the local Walmart. They only let me buy 3 boxes. Said it was the law. I never heard of that law before. Although it may be a Walmart policy. :surprised:
That's the same price for that ammo around the DFW area (at Walmart anyway). And 3 boxes is just store policy unless there is some crazy local ordinance or law.

That price from Midway is very good for an online seller. Just look around at other sellers that are charging far more than that. I just checked a place I've purchased other ammo from and they showed: List Price:$49.99 Sale Price:$34.95 for the exact same stuff. So the MidwayUSA price is pretty reasonable. I've ordered from them dozens of times and have gotten great service over the years.

Tony

ps: that AimSurplus has very good prices and a test shopping cart showed pretty reasonable shipping prices.

Last edited:
it's not bad but I found Winchester 333 for 17 dollars at Walmart... if they are in stock (they do not for long)

it's not bad but I found Winchester 333 for 17 dollars at Walmart... if they are in stock (they do not for long)
In my experience the CCI Mini-mags are far superior to the Winchester or Federal bulk ammo. I have a number of 22 conversion kits for large caliber firearms that will run 100% with mini-mags but are less reliable with typical bulk ammo. For example I have a Sig 220, a couple of 1911's, and an AR-15 with 22 conversions (Sig kit for the 220, Kimbers for the 1911's, and a Spikes Tactical for the AR) that will run great with mini-mags but occasionally short cycle with most bulk ammo.

But for a typical 22LR firearm the bulk stuff will be fine. So it really depends on your individual needs. My Browning Buckmark will eat pretty much anything. I shoot lots of the bulk stuff - 333 and Federal 550 - but only in firearms that I know aren't sensitive to ammo.

Tony

I been using a 80% 10/22 and it eats anything with perfect reliability. I don't know about 22 caliber conversion kits but I always thought conversion kits are iffy since they're attempting to make firearms not designed to shoot .22lr shoot them...

I tested Browning (reputed to be the worst) and mini magg side by side and it makes no difference at all.

I will buy mini magg if they are in stock at Walmart but they typically are not, and for some reason they do not order much of them either (even though they are almost always sold out within a few days). They are about 8 dollars for a box of 100 while everyone else sells it for a lot more.

snipped
I been using a 80% 10/22 and it eats anything with perfect reliability. I don't know about 22 caliber conversion kits but I always thought conversion kits are iffy since they're attempting to make firearms not designed to shoot .22lr shoot them...

I tested Browning (reputed to be the worst) and mini magg side by side and it makes no difference at all.
Maybe I wasn't clear in my prior post. Bulk ammo will run fine in a typical 22LR like your 10/22 so the Winchester 333 is a great buy. But for other firearms the bulk stuff my not work as well where CCI Mini-mags will almost always work with 100% reliability.

Just so you know, conversion kits are designed to allow larger caliber firearms to use 22LR ammo for training purposes. For example SIG makes 22LR kits for many of their larger caliber pistols. One of the earliest conversion kits was the Colt Ace for their 1911. The conversion kits often do require a 'full power' 22LR load to cycle properly. They are not iffy if you use the right ammo. Using a 22LR kit on my Sig 220 or a 1911 allows me to practice with it for $8/100 rounds instead of about $35/100 rounds. That makes a big difference when shooting several hundred rounds at metal plates.

My point is that if someone wants a 22LR cartridge that will probably work in all the 22LR firearms you own, the best all around bet are CCI Mini-mags. If you can use other less expensive ammo and it works well then certainly that may make more sense.

I have done extensive testing with a variety of ammo types and Mini-mags are nearly always the most accurate affordable round in many of my pistols. Looking at prices of Browning hollow points vs. Mini-mag hollow points the Browning looks more expensive so I'm not sure why you would compare the two.

I burn through a lot of Federal 550 and Winchester 333 with no issues. But if I could only have one brand on hand, it would be the Mini-mags. But if you can't buy them then of course you buy what is available.

Tony

Hey guy's
may I ask you all a question ??
I know you're all up on pricing..
And I know 22LR ammo has been up and down like a roller coaster,, mostly up though...
Is this a good price for 22LR ammo ??

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2..._-hotbuy-_-troy_landry_cci_minimag-_-20161209

Thank you always guy's,,

Teddy

I'd expect to pay closer to 5c / round w. free shipping ; that's 8c / round w. separate shipping & handling charges.

I could be wrong, but it seems 22lr has been more widely available and on the downward price trend for a bit now.

Sadly, I think we've seen the last of cheap 22LR rounds. It doesn't seem that long ago that I was complaining about paying $8 for a box of 50 premium competition rounds. Today, that box is $25. I can't justify that. I do have plenty of bulk ammo on hand, but it's good for plinking, blasting pests, and that sort of thing. But it's all but useless in competition.

In rimfire silhouette, I shoot a 50% Ruger 10-22. Fajen thumbhole stock, Shilen match barrel, Volquartsen trigger and sear, milled bolt, topped with a Weaver V24. With bulk ammo, it shoots like any other 10-22. But with the good stuff, it shoots one hole at 50 yards.

I guess my days of competition are gone, cuz I'm not about to pay $25 for a box of 50 22LR rounds. But the ground grizzlies on my buddy's farm north of town... They're in trouble. Cuz I've still got CCI Mini Mags by the pound...

I'd expect to pay closer to 5c / round w. free shipping ; that's 8c / round w. separate shipping & handling charges.

I could be wrong, but it seems 22lr has been more widely available and on the downward price trend for a bit now.
The OP is asking about Mini-Mags, I haven't seen MMs at 5c a round for many, many years. MMs typically sell for about $7.50/100 when the retailer is not price gouging.

On the other hand I can buy CCI Standard Velocity (great in my bolt action rifles and *some* of my target pistols) at WM for $3.47, with tax that's well under 4c a round.

And you are right, availability and prices are easing in many areas of the country at the retail level. But if you ever see Mini-Mags for 5c a round let me know and I'll make it worth your while.

Tony

The OP is asking about Mini-Mags, I haven't seen MMs at 5c a round for many, many years. MMs typically sell for about $7.50/100 when the retailer is not price gouging.

On the other hand I can buy CCI Standard Velocity (great in my bolt action rifles and *some* of my target pistols) at WM for $3.47, with tax that's well under 4c a round.

And you are right, availability and prices are easing in many areas of the country at the retail level. But if you ever see Mini-Mags for 5c a round let me know and I'll make it worth your while.

Tony

Ahh, mea culpa. Amidst all the cheesy branding, I completely missed the HV.

Hey those are some great links Tim,,
Thanks man..
Ya know,, you guy's brought up a good point,,
I remember the CCI Mini Mags fed through any gun better then some cheapo other ammo..
One of Tim's links was to some Federal ammo that looked pretty cool..
I tink I'm going to try a box of that and see how I like it..
But I think the Midway deal isn't that bad and I wanna buy some of these targets they have on sale right now--
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/5...f-adhesive-bullseye-pack-of-25-factory-second
So I guess I'll place an order with Midway this week...

I just got a Red Dot sight for the gun from Midway anyway..
I'd like to take the Mrs and the gun down to the range next week and poke some paper with it...

Teddy

Hey guy's,,
I have been banging my head against the wall for months over picking a red dot site..
How can you pick on online ?? When you look at them there is a huge difference in the images you see,, some are not too good to say the least...
On the way out to MWP I stopped at Cabela's in Hamburg Pennsylvania...
A couple of hours and I thought I had it picked...
The next day I stopped at the Cabela's in Illinois,, far greater selection,, now I'm confused again...
Last week I did some homework and reading online and picked one from Midway and ordered it...
Yesterday I recieved it,, I opened the box at the dining room table,, my wife Sandy is sitting and wrapping gifts...
I took the site out of the box, turned it on, and was shocked at what a poor image I was seeing,,
I was holding it at arms length, or a tiny bit less,, the image was terribly blurry,, when I turned the retical switch to a simple dot,
the dot was so blurry it was huge, gigantic,, this was the worst red dot site I've ever seen by far,, the images were just unbelievable how bad they were..
I was so disappointed,, how could this have happened.........

I had my reading glasses on

Teddy

Teddy, you probably just got a defective unit. For my first Red Dot (and my only one) I went with the cheap Tasco ($40 4 years ago). Its all I needed, sharp, bright and a sharp dot. When I miss its not because of my choice of Red Dot hardware. It gets me trophies in my Bullseye league.

Teddy - which red dot did you get & what gun is it going on? Some are real cheap so you get what you pay for. I put a Burris Fast Fire 2 on my MKIII & it's dead on with a real clear/clean dot.

Now that's REALLY funny...
I tink you guy's should put your reading glasses on and reread my post...
Hint,, read the bottom line in small print...lol...

Teddy

The gun is a Browning Buckmark 22 semi auto target pistol...
That's funny with the site,,
I almost bought a Burris Fast Fire,, great site,, good image,, very cool site...
The one I finally went with is a "Ultra Dot Pan-A-V"
I have no idea what the "Pan-A-V" stands for,,, but I really like it so far,,
the image looks great ( without my reading glasses on ) but it isn't on the gun yet...

Teddy

P.S.
John, I hope you realize I'm going to torture you over this,, lol...

Teddy, I DIDN'T have my reading glasses on when I read your post....

Back