WOW! Large and Dangerous Rocket Ships by Mark Canepa

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wonderboy

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I was craving some deeper insight into our hobby and heard about Mark Canepa's book: Large and Dangerous Rocket Ships from a few other club members. I decided to buy it, and WOW, I have to say I was not disappointed.

I'll admit that I am not much of a reader. I read maybe a book a year. This book was so good, I really found it fascinating. The book does an amazing job of explaining the origins of high power rocketry. I have a newfound appreciation for some of the original ground breakers (rule breakers!) and the fight that had to be fought to establish our hobby.

Early on, I found myself viewing the NAR as the "bad guy" which is absolutely not the case, and the book does a great job of showing how the initial resistance of the NAR and seeming opposition to the high power guys was really just careful calculation about moving too quickly and wanting to make sure the work to establish the public and government perception of model rocketry as the safe hobby it is was not compromised. My respect for both organizations was cemented reading through the BATF legal battle and how both the NAR and Tripoli came together for the common cause. I knew what the eventual outcome was but reading through the sequence of events and rulings actually got me worked up. I'm thinking "How in the world are they gonna come out on top?". It was really interesting.

Finally, I loved seeing so many names mentioned that I recognized mostly from this forum, but also from my local club. Again, it really gives me a much stronger sense of where this hobby came from, how it was established, and gave me a newfound respect for why we have the rules we do and how fragile our situation could be if we abuse the privilege the hobby's forerunners fought so hard to establish.

I HIGHLY recommend this book. Anybody who reads this will come away with a much deeper respect for our hobby and the people who made it all possible.

I read that this last year. Awesome book! All the big names, history of some of the companies. Wow, is all I can say. Actually, as a a result of the book I joined NAR even though I'v been in with Tripoli for like 14 years... Just as another support to the hobby. We're all in it together regardless of what your angle is.
Ken

Got the County library to buy a copy for my 1st free read. I was so impressed that I got off my wallet and bought a copy. Trip Barber signed it at the last NSL. I hope to get some more "celeb" signatures.

I read it and was highly turned off to joining the NAR after reading how scared they were and reluctant to have anything to do with HPR.
That was my initial reaction to the stories at the beginning of the book. But I thought Mark did a pretty good job of explaining their thinking. What I took away from the read was that since NAR had fought so hard to carve out the rules, regulations, and permissions within the various organizations they were very afraid of changing anything initially. I can appreciate the feeling of working so hard for years to do something that you love, and then somebody comes along and says "Hey, that looks like fun but I'm gonna do it my way"... I can get why there was the initial protective instinct kicking in. I thought that he really illustrated the many occasions where the NAR went to bat for the Tripoli like inviting a member to the NFPA meetings, and then eventually securing Tripoli a seat on the board at NFPA. The situation that won me over though was the legal battle with the BATF. They bore an equal financial responsibility for the fight which wasn't cheap. This had to have put a huge strain on the finances of both organizations and had a huge risk of being spent for nothing (if they lost the lawsuit).

The way I read the book, it seemed as if Mark played up the "us" versus "them" relationship between NAR and early Tripoli, but then showed them gradually coming together and becoming supportive of each other.

But then again, I'm a sucker for happy endings... :)

After these glowing reviews I’ve added a copy to my Amazon cart. Can’t wait to read.

I think it should be mandatory reading for new Tripoli members... :)

A word of caution: Its an amazingly thick book! I was shocked when I got it. But it is really a quick read. For me, I had a hard time putting it down. I got through it in about a week, reading mostly in the evenings but also during lunch breaks and sometimes between work meetings (when I had a spare 15 minutes).

One thing I thought about doing is searching and making a link to all the youtube videos out there of so many of the rocket flights detailed in the book. Mark's strategy for this book is to describe the state of the hobby and the recent developments around the time of each of the LDRS events since the very first one in Ohio. I don't think there are too many videos from way back then, but many of the flights described at later LDRS events have youtube videos posted, some incredibly well produced. I found myself pausing my read and searching on youtube any time Mark described a really interesting launch to see if there was a video of it (yes, I have a youtube problem... there, I admitted it).

Let us all know what you think once you get it and have some time into it. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Back