Fancy Rockets @ NYPOWER 2023

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjkopena

Rocketship Games
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
This past weekend my daughter Alice and I went to the NYPOWER launch hosted by MARS and SRC in Geneseo, NY.

First of all, that's an amazing launch site and a nice group of people.

Second, just wanted to share a couple photos. In an effort to keep Alice---just short of 8 years old---engaged with rocketry, I planted the idea of hosting an activity table for kids. She immediately latched onto this and began making lists & plans of what we could do and what we'd need. In the end we brought some kits for kids to assemble, complementing the fly-it/take-it tent run by SRC, and a lot of stuff with which to decorate rockets: Stickers, markers, and lots of tapes---color masking tape, washi tape, and variously colored flagging tape for streamers. Also on hand were space and rocket themed coloring books, reading books, and a couple games.

PXL_20230528_152508762.jpg
PXL_20230527_212016331~2.jpg
PXL_20230528_191821575.jpg
PXL_20230528_191848356~2.jpg
PXL_20230528_191920201~2.jpg
PXL_20230528_191927701~2.jpg
PXL_20230528_204304468~2.jpg

There weren't that many kids around for the launch, and it can be hard to get little kids to socialize outside of well understood scenarios like playgrounds. But we had a lot of fun, built a handful of rockets, and decorated a bunch more with a small but steady succession of new friends. Notably, Alice enjoys being at launches, but she's usually pretty blasé about actually launching rockets herself. She likes running around outside, being goofy with the people we know, going on expeditions to recover wayward rockets, etc.. But here she was motivated and eager to launch a bunch, especially late one day as the pads emptied out to do a 3-way launch of her rockets... and then spend a long time walking patterns looking for the third one (somebody else eventually found it nestled in the grass right next to a mid power pad). It's been said on these forums often, but moral of the story is once again that the best way to engage kids is to engage multiple kids.

Although facilitating easy on-site construction has been a big focus of mine, increasingly I wouldn't worry about kids building their own rockets. I believe the Syracuse club also hold to that philosophy in their frequent kids events---they're quite specifically fly-it/take-its, not make-it/take-its. If the kids are into building that's great, but otherwise they'll come to it if you get them hooked. Put a rocket in their hands, let 'em fly it, and they'll adopt it and love it just as much as if they built it. Enable them to decorate it and they're making their own thing and being creative and you've got an easy stepping stone toward building. Again, not a new insight. Lots of clubs have "rocket buckets" and so on for kids, and the hobby thrives on devotees giving rockets to newcomers to go launch. But for me personally it's somewhat of a shift I'm making.

Lastly, get a cheap pair of walkie-talkies. Those are always fun no matter what, but also give cautious kids a way to wander a bit on their own without getting too nervous about being away from you.

In any event, this was a great weekend for us, and Alice has been talking about rockets unprompted all week since. Pretty good return for a small investment in a box of stickers, tape, and markers.

original_0b4f661e-2195-4db2-98a6-d8d8aa3f4564_PXL_20230528_215730472.jpg

What a great story! You rock, Sir! I’ve done a range of make-it/fly-it workshops and it’s definitely more successful the more the makers can have control of building and decorating their rocket.

Now that you’re rejuvenated maybe we’ll see another batch of MMX Hawkeye kits? 😆😆

Thanks for sharing!

Question: what kind of rocket is this (that's circled in red)? Is it a BT-5 based rocket?

500735-c7bb7d6ed38b8259b684847457015f12.jpg

Now that you’re rejuvenated maybe we’ll see another batch of MMX Hawkeye kits? 😆😆

Just cut the tubesets for another two dozen of them, and have all the other kit elements ready, so they'll be available again by Monday. Only reason I'm not updating the webstore yet is I also just cut tubesets and now have all the components for a couple dozen MX Solar Warriors! So I'm hoping that will also finally see the light of day by the end of the weekend.

Question: what kind of rocket is this (that's circled in red)? Is it a BT-5 based rocket?

View attachment 584002
We got an eagle eye here! Good catch. That is a prototype LR1 Trailblazer, slated to be our first non-micro kit. It's a BT20 tube and designed for 1/2A3-4s, though it would be an interesting low flyer on MMX and works well on 1/4A and mini As.

PXL_20230514_171059262.jpg
PXL_20230514_181140268.jpg
I think the final version will have balsa fins rather than cardstock, mostly because balsa is easier to laser cut, and a very slightly different fin shape, mostly because somebody called the prototype an Alpha this weekend. It's of similar low-complexity construction as our R3 and is just meant to be a low-cost (probably $6), well flying, simple rocket using the more common 13mm motors and 1/8in rods. Production of the nosecones & centering rings is already done, so hopefully that'll be out soon as well.

PXL_20230523_221941086~2.jpg

I think the final version will have balsa fins rather than cardstock, mostly because balsa is easier to laser cut, and a very slightly different fin shape, mostly because somebody called the prototype an Alpha this weekend. It's of similar low-complexity construction as our R3 and is just meant to be a low-cost (probably $6), well flying, simple rocket using the more common 13mm motors and 1/8in rods.

Nice to see another 13 mm kit out there. Very underrated motors.

Just cut the tubesets for another two dozen of them, and have all the other kit elements ready, so they'll be available again by Monday. Only reason I'm not updating the webstore yet is I also just cut tubesets and now have all the components for a couple dozen MX Solar Warriors! So I'm hoping that will also finally see the light of day by the end of the weekend.

We got an eagle eye here! Good catch. That is a prototype LR1 Trailblazer, slated to be our first non-micro kit. It's a BT20 tube and designed for 1/2A3-4s, though it would be an interesting low flyer on MMX and works well on 1/4A and mini As.

View attachment 584015
View attachment 584017
I think the final version will have balsa fins rather than cardstock, mostly because balsa is easier to laser cut, and a very slightly different fin shape, mostly because somebody called the prototype an Alpha this weekend. It's of similar low-complexity construction as our R3 and is just meant to be a low-cost (probably $6), well flying, simple rocket using the more common 13mm motors and 1/8in rods. Production of the nosecones & centering rings is already done, so hopefully that'll be out soon as well.

View attachment 584018
BT-20? Even better, as that's probably my favorite type of body tube size to work with.

And those nose cones...they look great!

Back