GUNS & ROCKETS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never seen an S&W that I would consider serviceable out of the box. Severe (spectacular) defects in several.

The only firearms that IME are ready to go without anything but a little lube, out of the box, are H&K, Tikka, and Beretta shotguns. Everything else gets detail stripped and unfrickerated before being fired, based on lengthy inspection checklists developed from past observation of defects requiring correction.
I think that's a very broad brush you are using. I have had two original model 19's. A four inch that shot and functioned beautifully. I traded it for a Colt .45. Wish I hadn't. The one I have now is a 2.5" one and it's great too. Last year I bought a new model 19. It came from the Performance Shop. I bought it as an investment and won't shoot it. It is beautiful to look at. The trigger like butter. But I don't know exactly your experience with them is.

When I read Chiappa Rhino, I said oh no you didn't. Everyone that had bought them wanted to get rid of them. The owner wouldn't even make them an offer. We only had one in the store to sell. I pity the guy that bought it. I can't believe it even made it to market.
OOC What is your opinion of why it was so bad? They were pretty costly despite coming from a low priced brand, so I was surprised at how bad it was.

Last edited:
OOC What is your opinion of why it was so bad? They were pretty costly despite coming from a low priced brand, so I was surprised at how bad it was.
They were unreliable. Parts broke. At the gun shop the topic of them would come up now and then. Nobody I talked to had anything good to say about them. When I was working there I read a lot of gun mags. I can't remember if anything good was printed though.

They were unreliable. Parts broke. At the gun shop the topic of them would come up now and then. Nobody I talked to had anything good to say about them. When I was working there I read a lot of gun mags. I can't remember if anything good was printed though.
I suspect that more than a few magazine or article reviewers were paid off or given free guns because most articles I read talked about how great it was lol

This could have gone in "What I Did Instead of Rocketry", but since it's about me throwing money at a beat-up, ~1899, .32 Rim Fire, #4 Remington Rolling Block... here it is.
As the previous owner broke a cleaning patch/jag off inside with the blackpowder fouling and left it, the bore was shot. Since Track of the Wolf sells liners, I decided to sleeve the octagonal barrel to .22 WMR (solid frame-not a take down).
The last couple of days let me work in the shop, I used an 18 inch 3/8" drill that Austin Tool and Grinding ground a .304" pilot on to drill out the barrel to 3/8" for the liner.
After studying the bore for straightness and my credit card balance for "headspace"... I dropped the hammer and ordered the liner an hour or so ago. I guess I'll figure out the next step in 8 weeks or so when the liner arrives.

1706914240944.jpeg
Not mine... this one looks much nicer. :cool:

Last edited:
Tuesday was a great day weather wise. So I gathered my targets and stands and some guns together. I went out to my shooting spot in the desert and set up. I put one target at 80 yards and another one at 30 yards. I took my 10.5" SBR that I recently put a suppressor on to see if the suppressor changed the point of impact. It didn't. Since my short range glasses vanished I couldn't see the front sight very well. I had a red dot on it but took it off. The SBR is my house gun in case the Zombies get in the house. The iron sights are night sights and I can pick them up fast. The longest shot in our house is about 40'. We have night lights every where so it's never completely dark. If the power went out we have emergency lights that come on when the power goes out. I brought a table with me and sand bags. I took some shots with it at 80 yards. I hit the silhouette every time but didn't make a group. I'm sure that red dot would have helped. I took my Mossberg 930 semi-auto 12 gauge with me. I hadn't shot it before. I shot some 00 buck shot at the 80 yard target. They all went below the target. To get a hit at that range I would have to shoot 4' over the target. Then I fired some slugs at it. They were 7/8 oz slugs. All the slugs hit the target. All center mass hits. With a high hold I think I could get hits at twice the distance. Then I shot my 14" Benelli M1 semi-auto 12 gauge that I hadn't shot before. I moved to the 30 yard target and shot some buck shot at the silhouette. All the pellets hit. Then I shot a few slugs at it. They hit where I aimed. When I was done I cleaned up my brass and hulls and headed home. The biggest take away was that the 14" Benelli has a softer recoil than the 20" Mossberg firing the the same loads. I don't need another shotgun but if I get another one it will be a Benelli. A couple of weeks ago I bought 500 rounds of .22lr subsonic ammo on Gun Broker. It was way less expensive than Midway. In fact all the ammo I looked at on Gun Broker was less than Midway. Midways inventory is sparse. The price of ammo has gone through the roof. That is if you can find what your looking for. If you need some ammo Gun Broker is the place to look. It's a good thing I stocked up for years.

Tuesday was a great day weather wise. So I gathered my targets and stands and some guns together. I went out to my shooting spot in the desert and set up. I put one target at 80 yards and another one at 30 yards. I took my 10.5" SBR that I recently put a suppressor on to see if the suppressor changed the point of impact. It didn't. Since my short range glasses vanished I couldn't see the front sight very well. I had a red dot on it but took it off. The SBR is my house gun in case the Zombies get in the house. The iron sights are night sights and I can pick them up fast. The longest shot in our house is about 40'. We have night lights every where so it's never completely dark. If the power went out we have emergency lights that come on when the power goes out. I brought a table with me and sand bags. I took some shots with it at 80 yards. I hit the silhouette every time but didn't make a group. I'm sure that red dot would have helped. I took my Mossberg 930 semi-auto 12 gauge with me. I hadn't shot it before. I shot some 00 buck shot at the 80 yard target. They all went below the target. To get a hit at that range I would have to shoot 4' over the target. Then I fired some slugs at it. They were 7/8 oz slugs. All the slugs hit the target. All center mass hits. With a high hold I think I could get hits at twice the distance. Then I shot my 14" Benelli M1 semi-auto 12 gauge that I hadn't shot before. I moved to the 30 yard target and shot some buck shot at the silhouette. All the pellets hit. Then I shot a few slugs at it. They hit where I aimed. When I was done I cleaned up my brass and hulls and headed home. The biggest take away was that the 14" Benelli has a softer recoil than the 20" Mossberg firing the the same loads. I don't need another shotgun but if I get another one it will be a Benelli. A couple of weeks ago I bought 500 rounds of .22lr subsonic ammo on Gun Broker. It was way less expensive than Midway. In fact all the ammo I looked at on Gun Broker was less than Midway. Midways inventory is sparse. The price of ammo has gone through the roof. That is if you can find what your looking for. If you need some ammo Gun Broker is the place to look. It's a good thing I stocked up for years.
Reading about some of the 930 problems, I'm strongly considering buying one of these aftermarket spacer tubes.
http://www.or3gun.com/OR3GUN/about_or3gun_marine.htm

That's very interesting. I'm not worried about condensation here in the desert. But smoother cycling would be nice. Thanks for the heads up.
I just ordered the grey, OEM weight spacer tube. At first I thought I'd just drill the hole pattern in the existing one, until I read a little deeper.

This could have gone in "What I Did Instead of Rocketry", but since it's about me throwing money at a beat-up, ~1899, .32 Rim Fire, #4 Remington Rolling Block... here it is.
As the previous owner broke a cleaning patch/jag off inside with the blackpowder fouling and left it, the bore was shot. Since Track of the Wolf sells liners, I decided to sleeve the octagonal barrel to .22 WMR (solid frame-not a take down).
The last couple of days let me work in the shop, I used an 18 inch 3/8" drill that Austin Tool and Grinding ground a .304" pilot on to drill out the barrel to 3/8" for the liner.
After studying the bore for straightness and my credit card balance for "headspace"... I dropped the hammer and ordered the liner an hour or so ago. I guess I'll figure out the next step in 8 weeks or so when the liner arrives.

View attachment 627938
Not mine... this one looks much nicer. :cool:
I have done a couple of barrel liners. We made our own barrel blanks so they were turned down from 1.25”. A real pain when it gets small.
One was a 2R Lovell on a highwall. I know I will burn for that. Coolest cartridge ever. It’s made from 25-20 single shot brass, not Winchester, that pretty much is extinct.

I have done a couple of barrel liners. We made our own barrel blanks so they were turned down from 1.25”. A real pain when it gets small.
One was a 2R Lovell on a highwall. I know I will burn for that. Coolest cartridge ever. It’s made from 25-20 single shot brass, not Winchester, that pretty much is extinct.
Don't have a lot of options with the #4s... got another one, also .32 RF, that after fiddling around and spending way too much money on the "wannabe" rimfire cases, went centerfire with .32 Short Colt. Lee Shaver converted the breech block for me... he's a master.

Continued with the #4 today...
UPS delivered the liner yesterday evening, so today I took a deep breath and crossed my fingers and checked the fit.
Snug fitting slide to about the halfway point in the barrel, then stopped. There was a very slight ring at the point where drilling from the breech and then the muzzle met. Careful hand sanding using a dowel and 400 grit paper rigged for honing cleared the obstruction... time for a cervaza :cool: .

1710030994197.jpeg

Here's something I don't think I have posted before. It's a Hi Standard D-100 in .22 LR. The first time I saw one was when my oldest cousins first husband pulled it out of his pocket. He was a Michigan State Police officer that did undercover narcotics work. His was in .22 WMR. I was about 14 or 15 and was enamored with it.. I saw this for auction and bought it. I have it loaded with .22LR Quick Shock fragmenting ammo, 1650fps. It's accurate too.20240310_012248[4319].jpg

Definitely an oddball that's for sure, did you have a custom cylinder made for it? I remember when the round came out then shortly there after became unobtanium due to the lawsuit.
Rich: Yes, I did have a cylinder made for it. First, I purchased a complete GP-100 cylinder on eBay. Then i got range rods from Brownells, 38/357 service rod and 38/357 match rod. I checked each cylinder to make sure the timing was correct. Both cylinders are spot on.
Then I sent the new cylinder to Mark Hartshorne at Pinnacle High Performance. Mark has made his own chamber reamers for 9 x 23 Winchester. He also modifies the rear of the cylinder to accept full moon clips.
Using the new cylinder I have fired 9 x 19, 9 x 21 IMI, 9 x 23 Winchester (of course), and some nasty old Spanish corrosive 9 mm Largo. The Largo rounds dance around in the full moon clips, but they're fine once in the cylinder. And yes, I cleaned the gun with hot soapy water when i got it home.
The new cylinder should also accept 9 mm Browning long, 9mm Steyr, 356 TSW, and 38 Super. Mark says in a pinch you can sill fire 38 Special and 357 Magnums, but the cases will probably stick..
Now the bad news. Mark Hartshorne does not appear to be accepting any new work at this time. Please see his letter at forums.brianenos.com for a more detailed explanation.

Bob in Phoenix

I bought my first gun (Mossberg 500) in 2020 during the pandemic when it looked like the wheels might come off our society. I didn’t get to shoot it for nearly a year because local ranges were closed or needed some kind of safety certificate before allowing new shooters. So when I completed my NRA shotgun safety class in 2021 or 2022, I could finally shoot it. Since then I’ve bought 2 rifles, which I’ve enjoyed. But other than the safety course, I have never had any training at all, and that was only for safety, not shooting fundamentals or technique. Every time I’ve looked into getting some training, it’s been very expensive.

So I was excited when a semi-local range added an Appleseed 25m rimfire event to their calendar. I’m signed up and going this weekend for both days. If you are not familiar, they apparently focus on marksmanship fundamentals and techniques that used to be part of Army and Marine training, including the use of a USGI shooting sling and the standing, kneeling, seated, and prone shooting positions. It sounds pretty comprehensive and is very affordable. I’m really looking forward to it!

One issue has been that my 22 is a Ruger 10/22 Backpacker model, so it’s a takedown rifle, and the Backpacker stock has a very short forend. It’s not a good setup for using a USGI sling. I had to buy a longer forend to mount the sling properly. Even with the longer forend, Takedowns are not generally recommended for Appleseed because with the loop sling under tension, it may flex the rifle at the takedown mechanism. But this is the gun I own, so hopefully it will work out.

I also got a scope. I know for most people 25m is not far, but to simulate 400m targets, they use a target scaled down to just a couple inches. It’s too small for my crappy eyesight. It’s been a learning experience already.

Here’s the evolution from the Backpacker to Appleseed configuration:

View attachment IMG_6304.jpeg

That’s the Backpacker taken down. The forend is really short so that it can be secured in the buttstock for storage and transport.

IMG_6305.jpeg

That’s the Backpacker when it’s assembled.

IMG_6306.jpeg

That’s some of the stuff I had to buy to get the gun ready for Appleseed.

IMG_6311.jpeg

And there's the rifle after being set up with the forend, sling, and scope for the event. Most likely I will put the gun back into its original configuration after this event, but it’s been interesting setting it up this way.

I bought my first gun (Mossberg 500) in 2020 during the pandemic when it looked like the wheels might come off our society. I didn’t get to shoot it for nearly a year because local ranges were closed or needed some kind of safety certificate before allowing new shooters. So when I completed my NRA shotgun safety class in 2021 or 2022, I could finally shoot it. Since then I’ve bought 2 rifles, which I’ve enjoyed. But other than the safety course, I have never had any training at all, and that was only for safety, not shooting fundamentals or technique. Every time I’ve looked into getting some training, it’s been very expensive.

So I was excited when a semi-local range added an Appleseed 25m rimfire event to their calendar. I’m signed up and going this weekend for both days. If you are not familiar, they apparently focus on marksmanship fundamentals and techniques that used to be part of Army and Marine training, including the use of a USGI shooting sling and the standing, kneeling, seated, and prone shooting positions. It sounds pretty comprehensive and is very affordable. I’m really looking forward to it!

One issue has been that my 22 is a Ruger 10/22 Backpacker model, so it’s a takedown rifle, and the Backpacker stock has a very short forend. It’s not a good setup for using a USGI sling. I had to buy a longer forend to mount the sling properly. Even with the longer forend, Takedowns are not generally recommended for Appleseed because with the loop sling under tension, it may flex the rifle at the takedown mechanism. But this is the gun I own, so hopefully it will work out.

I also got a scope. I know for most people 25m is not far, but to simulate 400m targets, they use a target scaled down to just a couple inches. It’s too small for my crappy eyesight. It’s been a learning experience already.

Here’s the evolution from the Backpacker to Appleseed configuration:

View attachment 638721

That’s the Backpacker taken down. The forend is really short so that it can be secured in the buttstock for storage and transport.

View attachment 638722

That’s the Backpacker when it’s assembled.

View attachment 638723

That’s some of the stuff I had to buy to get the gun ready for Appleseed.

View attachment 638725

And there's the rifle after being set up with the forend, sling, and scope for the event. Most likely I will put the gun back into its original configuration after this event, but it’s been interesting setting it up this way.

Nice that your going to do that. It will be fun. I did the "service match" at our local club and learned a lot, and yes how to use a "sling" and "Lock up" my body into a vice in standing, sitting, and prone.

You will have fun.

So, $36/lb.
Unless you have other people wanting in on the purchase.
Didn't say it was cheap... said it was available.
I have enough Goex on hand I don't have to worry about me... I just occasionally see folks posting that they're looking for it.
I don't eat ribeye anymore... I'm retired, and wish the economy was other than it is.

Back