Greetings from England

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebus

Reaction score
hi all,
complete n00b to the hobby along with my 2 young boys.
After a successful launch of our first water rocket were hooked and looking for bigger and better things.
particularly a way to get it to land safely!

hopefully this is the place to answer all our questions!

see you around

hi all,
After a successful launch of our first water rocket were hooked and looking for bigger and better things.

see you around
Welcome!

Regarding water rockets, there’s not much to be done. Soft materials and little streamlining make for relatively slow descent rates already. Breakable fins also improve safety, as the energy is transferred to breaking the rocket instead of the impacted object (somebody’s head, for instance).

For model rockets and high-power rockets propelled by black powder or ammonium perchlorate composite propellant, those motors are designed to eject a recovery device. That’s usually a parachute, drag streamer, or set of helicopter blades for autorotation. Others tumble, some glide, some eject the motor casing and are light enough to fall like a feather, some just pop the nose for the fastest descent rate that is safe.

There is a whole bunch of stuff to try for recovery, and many kits available to support different things. Give them a go and test your skills!

hi all,

see you around
Welcome from the Welsh/English border! Where are you in England? There are currently 4 rocketry clubs in the UK, and they'd be a good place to start to develop your interest in rocketry.

Back