Good ol' Estes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandman

Reaction score
I have to tell everyone about the great customer service I have received several times from Christine in the parts department at Estes.

I told her I needed to buy some parts for my Mean Machine that got stuck in a big old maple tree and came down in pieces.

She sent me 4 body tubes (BT-60) 3 tube couplers a new motor mount (all that was really saved was the nose cone and fins) and a new decal...practically the whole kit. When I asked her if she needed my credit card number she says "no thank you it's warranty".

WHAT!!

I have gotten numerous parts from her, individual parts like single nose cones, at wholesale prices, (when she does charge me) replacement decals,
I can go on and on.

There new line of rocket model is starting to look very nice like the old days...almost. They do have to acomadate the "instant gratification" generation.

Later this summer they are re-releasing the Orbital Transport.

The new line of engines can't be topped (AP motors cost too much). Especially the E9.

sandman

I like to hear stories like these. Customer Support seems to be the last thing on a companies mind these days. Customer Support in the rocketry world is mostly above and beyond.

You should send her a link to your generous words.

That's great to hear! Generally speaking, if the matter is something trivial, I don't bother calling customer service for anything these days. It almost seems like you get harrassed when you call customer service as opposed to the other way around. I have had some VERY terrible experiences in the past. (Once again, generally speaking...not so much rockets.)

A story such as this is awesome. The level of service you got was truly genuine and deserves some recognition. Thanks for sharing!

I forgot to add one thing that is very important when dealing with any customer service dept. Be courteous and friendly. Don't talk to customer service people as if you have a chip on your sholder...be nice.

Christine is very responsive to this and she regailed me with some lovely stories about Vern and Gleda Estes...Heck she even recognizes my voice now whenever I call.

Gotta remember to send her a Christmas card.

sandman

It's good to hear a positive experience with Estes. Through the years, I have heard more bad than good about them (customer service-wise).

Here are the companies whose customer service have done me right (in no particular order): Apogee, Pratt Hobbies, Aerotech, Performance Hobbies. I have had great experiences with many others in the areas of ordering, quick shipments, and technical assistance, these are just the ones who went above and beyond the call of duty in responding to problems/issues.

Like wise were all my experiences with Apogee. I had to personally email Tim and compliment him on my new Saturn 1b.

I talked to him a couple of months back and he sounded like he was haveing a particularly bad day. I think he was worried about haveing a warehouse full of tubes and the daunting job of making them into Saturn V's and 1b's.

It was worth the effort.

Now If I can talk him into making a Little Joe II kit...

sandman

I didn't deal with Tim directly when I had my problem, however he has responded to me personally regarding Rsim issues.

I had ordered a bunch of tubes and over half of them had some damage when I got them. Dinged ends, broken phenolic, etc. Instead of quibbling, they just said they were sorry, and replaced the majority of the order (even more than I had asked for). They also shipped the replacements the next day. Really a class act. :)

...and I agree that a Little Joe kit would be really cool :D

I too, have had very good experiences with the folks at Estes and Apogee.

One case in particular involved a software issue that Tim (at Apogee) couldn't figure out. So he contacted the designer of the software, who then contacted me, and everything was everything.

With Estes, I bought a Phoenix kit (at a reduced price becuase the bag had been opened). And sure enough, the motor hook was missing. I called their office, told them about the circumstances, and they sent a new one to me at no charge.

It's so true that being polite is much more conducive to the appropriation of cooperation than is irate confrontation.

The last time I got something from Christene at Estes I jokingly mentioned that I was upset that all my "E" engine hooks were now to short for the new "E" engine (90mm versus 85mm).

Without even asking, there in the bottom of the box, she included a plastic bag with 10 NEW "E" engine hooks.

She gives me free rocket stuff...I want her to have my babies!

sandman

I recently had a severe lawn dart with my friend's Hyper X -Cosmic Cobra-, and I called Estes to see if the apparent lack of an ejection charge was covered. While I didn't ask for a new kit, it was implied (although I tried not to) and surely enough, Christine took my address and phone number and a new kit is said to be on its way. I even got a chance to tell Christine about EMRR. She seemed quite interested and took down the URL.
It seems that what Estes lacks in their current product line, they make up for in customer service and potential. The 2002 line looks great, and we can only hope that the 2003 line will revive some old favorites.
Estes is currently my main manufacturer, and I intend to keep it that way for many years to come, Lord willing.

Great job Estes! (although I doubt any of their people are reading this...)

Originally posted by NiteWulf
I even got a chance to tell Christine about EMRR. She seemed quite interested and took down the URL.

Did you tell her about TRF too? Did ya? Did ya uh? ;) :D

Now, now Milo. I didn't tell her about TRF, but I did correct the URL. She said that the last time she visited EMRR they didn't have recommended motor postings. I believe there's a couple of links on there to here, so she may eventually find her way.

Did ya? Did ya uh?
Why so hyper, Milo? You want to ask her out, don't you? I guess it's hard to find a chick that will properly take care of your rocket(s)... :D

The new Cosmic Cobra came in the mail today, a full 5 days early. After a quick check I decided that all of the parts were there and I assembled the nosecone (sans gluing it). There is a slight problem though: what do I do with the old helicopter-nosecone? Anyone have any ideas? Well, I have one now, but I'm still open for suggestions.

LaneKG,

Estes customer service number is: 800-525-7561x216.

The customer service person is Christine...be nice to her...you only get ONE warning!

Remember this, she is there to help.
None of the things that Estes does are HER fault.
She's not the boss.
She just wants to help customers with a problem.
She didn't make the web site.
She's an employee...a very NICE employee.

sandman

I received a 1/12 dowel for the Space Shuttle from Christine at Estes. All my fault because I mismeasured a cut. But Christine came through. Thanks for the tip Sandman. Treat her nice!

In the future if ya need thinner dowel than what is available at the Hardware store (they only go down to 1/8")

Noerthwest Scale has 1/16 in a package for about 3 buck for 12 - 12" pieces.

It's in the model railroading "scale lumber" department of some hobby shops and at Joanne's

sandman

You can probably also get short lengths of much stronger stuff at your local 'dollar' store
I found a package of bamboo skewers for a buck
There must be at least a hundred of 'em in the bag, and they are about 8 inches long before they begin to taper down to a point
They are just about 1/16th inch in diam
Bamboo is much stronger than the stuff they make dowels out of, and a package of these things is dirt cheap (my kind of price!)

hi guys
does estes have a customer support Email? as my Mercury redstone capusal bits are warped and dont fit, if they dont have an email could someone call for me as calling the US cost a lot of money

thanx
matt

Back