Getting back into it after 40 years

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viggen

Reaction score
I built a lot of rockets (Estes and Centuri) back in the late 70s and 80s as a kid. Now getting back into it. the Hobby shops of old are very few and far between, but nice to know there are resources out on the web.

I still have an unbuilt maxi-brute Pershing-1A I have been storing since then. Working on some simpler rockets until I go for that one.

First rocket I ever built was the mini-brute Screamer, so I am piecing together one from scratch now. question on that one is it shows having a Nose Cone Weight part (NCW-4) which my searches have found to weight like .35oz/10grams. That seems awfully heavy and a lot of lead to me. Anyone know if that’s right?

Thanks for everyone sharing and having this forum.

cheers to all

First rocket I ever built was the mini-brute Screamer, so I am piecing together one from scratch now. question on that one is it shows having a Nose Cone Weight part (NCW-4) which my searches have found to weight like .35oz/10grams. That seems awfully heavy and a lot of lead to me. Anyone know if that’s right?

Wow, I built one of those waaay back when. I painted it blue, because it's the only paint can I could find that worked. Black decals didn't show up well.

We're talking childhood memories under gray hair, but IIRC, it was a pretty standard washer of the right diameter that went under the screw eye. It stands out as strange, because I'd never built a kit that used one.

Thanks for the trip back in time! That would be an interesting upscale with those big fins.

And welcome to the forum! Post pics of anything you can, especially that Pershing. I remember when it came out, that was a favorite to wish for "one day".

Launched the screamer with 2 Home Depot washers in place. 1/2A3 engine and it was outta site in a second. Recovery was flawless, but I have to think a full A3 engine and it may not come out of orbit. The A10 and it may make it to Mars.

Back