Garmin Rino 110 GPS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncrichie

Reaction score
It may have been here but I'm not sure. There was a thread somewhere about using 2- Garmin Rino 110 units for locating a downed rocket. One in hand the other in the payload. I think there was a range limit of 2 miles? Anyone familiar with using these? If so, I'm trying to figure out why there is a range limit unless the signal is being transmited by the radio and not directly from a satellite? Anyone with in depth info? TIA Uncrichie.

Here are some of the threads that discussed this...

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=26048&highlight=garmin
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=12098&highlight=garmin

I am not sure but does the polling feature use radio instead of sat for transmission? In that case you might get poor distance because of it being on the ground and not in the air. I am sure you did this also, but when I searched for Garmin I got the two above threads and numerous others on GPS tracking. They made it sound like the unit sends the information directly to the other unit, not the satellite in between.

I am sure someone else here with real knowledge of the topic will chime in.

It may have been here but I'm not sure. There was a thread somewhere about using 2- Garmin Rino 110 units for locating a downed rocket. One in hand the other in the payload. I think there was a range limit of 2 miles? Anyone familiar with using these? If so, I'm trying to figure out why there is a range limit unless the signal is being transmitted by the radio and not directly from a satellite?

Radio #1 is inside the rocket - the GPS part of the radio #1 receives the GPS signal from the constellation of GPS satellites and computes the location of the radio (inside the rocket). The radio part of radio #1 sends that data to radio #2, which is in your hand on the ground.

The limitation is the ability of the signal from radio #1 to reach and be successfully decoded by radio #2. Basically, it's line-of-site plus just a little bit. If you can "see" the signal source (the radio inside the rocket) then you should be able to hear that signal and decode it successfully. But, when the rocket is not in sight (i.e. it lands in a gully behind the next hill), you might not be able to hear the signal.

On flat land with no obstructions and radio #1 lying on its side (i.e. the rocket is lying flat on the ground), I'd be very surprised if you (holding radio #2 up in the air so that it's about 6-7' off the ground) could receive the signal a mile away, and that's if the antenna of radio #1 was pointed in the right direction (it would need to be broadside to you instead of pointed towards you).

But, if someone can document better results, I'm prepared to change my mind.

That help you understand it any better?

I use Garmin Rinos. GMRS has something like a 5 mile range and FRS has a two mile range, 1 watt and .5 watt respectively. Keep in mind line of sight in the air is far greater than line of site on the ground. One Garmin can querry another Garmin every 15 seconds. If VOX is on, the buzzer from the altimeter will activate the transmitter, the update rate is more often then.

What is nice about using two Garmins is that the Garmin you use will plots out a path to the Garmin in the rocket. Each Garmin has an identification tag you can assign. A bonus is you can use the same unit to keep in contact with others. Even in the event that you lose contact with the unit when it touches down, drift will not be that far off from a fix at 500 feet.

I always use a very loud pulsing horn with a run time of 6 hours to make homing in easy - https://spacewarptechnology.com/SWT/Sonic Beacon/TABLE_CONTNETS.htm. I use smaller ones for small diameter flights, but they all are very loud.

Best about Rinos is that no ham license required, no computer is needed, no downloads required until you get home and dump the Garmin log down on your PC. After recovery, you have another radio to use which is a win, win situation.

Set up is easy, tie the unit to the shock line, wrap in plastic bag just in case of a water landing and turn on.

Thanks everyone for your input. Arnold if you don't mind I'll send you a PM, you seem to have a handle on this specific setup. Uncrichie.

For those interested, I was just at the Garmin website. It said that the FCC has granted Garmin a waiver to send position data (only) on the GMRS frequencies on the Rhino series units which means a higher wattage level allowing greater distance, 5mi optimal conditions. You do need to go to their site and download the newest software. Thats pretty neat information! Uncrichie.

Back