Helicat Motor Retainer FOUND

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vixenrider

I'm an Airplane guy, why am I here??
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm hunting for an Estes Helicat 18mm motor retainer. It appears to be a two-tab locking cap not a screw on. I'm not sure where the original is. I built the kit many moons ago and several moves ago. I've looked at quite a few of the vendor sites with no luck. It doesn't matter to me if it is 3D printed or an original from an unused or broken rocket. My only other option is to modify the existing motor retention fin can or get a NIB kit from somewhere. Thanks in advance!

I could be wrong, but isn't this the same retainer than some other Estes rockets use, such as the Riptide? If so, I have one laying around I could send your way at no cost to you.

I could be wrong, but isn't this the same retainer than some other Estes rockets use, such as the Riptide? If so, I have one laying around I could send your way at no cost to you.
It may be, here's a pic of where it attaches...

Attachments

• Helicat missing motor retainer.jpg
    Helicat missing motor retainer.jpg
    708.3 KB · Views: 0
It may be, here's a pic of where it attaches...
That looks like the bottom end of a Riptide (which I have and have only flown once or twice). If someone can confirm they use the same retainer, PM me your address and I'll send you my Riptide's retainer (please note that it has a metallic light blue color, so it won't match your rocket).

Thanks very much! I'm not worried about the color, the grands will love it:) I'll send a PM and thanks again for your help!

I made a 3D model of the one from the Skywinder, which is probably identical, if anyone else needs one and has a 3D printer.

Attachments

• Plastic Engine Retainer.stl
    232.7 KB · Views: 0
Two retro/vintage rockets in that pic. Nice!
We also flew an old repaired and/or finished Twister, Corkscrew, Big Rage, Quasar, and some newer stuff, Blue Origin, Majestic, Showstopper, Cheetah and Big Daddy this past Saturday. All 11 launches and recoveries went off perfectly (except one bad ignitor). The grandkids loved it. I'm hoping they stay interested :)

Attachments

• Launch crew.jpg
    Launch crew.jpg
    486.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Launch prep.jpg
    Launch prep.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 0
I have another one for you, from an original helicat. The fins have broken off the model but otherwise I have all of the parts if you want.
I would be interested Steve, except for the body tubes. I have those. What would you ask for the parts? It would give the boy something to work on to gain experience.

I would be interested Steve, except for the body tubes. I have those. What would you ask for the parts? It would give the boy something to work on to gain experience.
They’re free if you pay for postage. My wife and I are away from home right now but we’ll be back home next week. Send me a pm with your postal address. When you get them and they’re okay just send me whatever the postage was. It’ll be great to have your boy learn from them and enjoy them.

Back