Foot activated launch controller

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t remember where I saw it but years ago someone did this. The foot switch was just two boards connected by a hinge, and a momentary SPST switch.
It was just wired in parallel to the existing launch switch. There’s no need to extend the Arm switch.

You probably want a pretty rugged switch though - something suited to outside field use ie. something to cope with wind, dust, knocks and occasional dampness etc.
Retiring on a farm and launching rockets everyday is my idea of complete & utter utopia... living that dream. Half ya luck ;)

TP

I don’t remember where I saw it but years ago someone did this. The foot switch was just two boards connected by a hinge, and a momentary SPST switch.
It was just wired in parallel to the existing launch switch. There’s no need to extend the Arm switch.

Excellent. I'll think I'll be modding my Go-Box.

You probably want a pretty rugged switch though - something suited to outside field use ie. something to cope with wind, dust, knocks and occasional dampness etc.
Retiring on a farm and launching rockets everyday is my idea of complete & utter utopia... living that dream. Half ya luck ;)

As long as you remember that 'retirement' means working a farm and 'launching rockets everyday' is a far cry from 'every few months', but I get your drift! 🤠 🚀

Just noodling some ideas...

I do a lot of solo prototype flying which makes it hard to launch and observe and get pictures. I figure if I had a foot operated controller I could have both hands free for the cameras. Something like a guitar effects pedal you wouldn't stomp on by accident.

Anyone in TRF land ever built anything like this? I have a Pratt Go-Box which could be easily modded.

I have a Pratt SureFire II box and after just over twenty years, the battery(s) are still going strong and hold a charge an amazingly long time.

A bag of the centrifuge tubes on amazon is cheap as heck; I run a igniter thru the tip, and rtv it in place, sealing the hole the lead goes thru. Add seasoning to taste, lol. I bought two sizes; doubt I'll ever need the big ones, but I have them if I need them. :)
I have a 1/4" jack wired in parallel with the fire button; I use a button on a cord, like a camera release, to launch with sometimes.The plug makes it easily removable.

A bag of the centrifuge tubes on amazon is cheap as heck; I run a igniter thru the tip, and rtv it in place, sealing the hole the lead goes thru. Add seasoning to taste, lol. I bought two sizes; doubt I'll ever need the big ones, but I have them if I need them. :)
I have a 1/4" jack wired in parallel with the fire button; I use a button on a cord, like a camera release, to launch with sometimes.The plug makes it easily removable.

Yeah, I will eventually need to make my own, but I still have a pretty good stock of both small and large ones.

I think it has been mentioned already, but you could have two foot switches of the variety used in guitar pedals, one push on/push off to arm and disarm, and one momentary to launch. You could even put a LED light to turn on when armed on the foot pedal box. They have several different sized metal boxes used for guitar foot pedals that can accommodate two switches and a light, could use an internal 9V battery to power the light.

Back