(FlisKits) L-13 Build Photos (Completion)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love a build thread like this! You have no idea how satisfying it is to see someone perform this level of craftsmanship on a kit we provide!

As for the missing details, that's one of the reasons it is called a "sport scale" rather than "scale". True scale takes a lot more work and adds a great deal of cost and may not be (most likely isn't) of interest to most builders. HOWEVER, the core vehicle is close enough to scale to provide a good base for someone (like you) who wants to put in the extra work to make it as close to scale as possible.

Well done!

Oh, and probable the BEST "first thread" in all of TRF! LOL

jim

It took forever for all of the pics to load but boy was it worth the wait. Amazing build, incredible attention to detail, really outstanding work.
Just beautiful!

The " Mask(ing) Marvel"
That sure looks nice.
I have maybe 3-6 rockets out of about 40 built that are COMLETELY BUILT.
I mean, most all have at least a decal or 2 not applied ,some have no decals applied, some still in primer, couple still naked,ect.
Good job!!!!

Very cool. An impressive build, and just as Jim is gratified with what you did with his kit, I'm gratified to see what you (and Jim) did with the reference drawings.

Peter Alway

Peter and Jim - maybe you can help me in the next rocket I want to build.

Peter - Your drawings were amazing and I couldn't have done it without them. They're on the wall behind my workbench and on my phone. I'd study them at down times in work for ideas on how to make the rocket more accurate.

I really like Goddard's work, but I haven't been able to find a whole lot online. The next rocket I'd like to build is another Goddard L-Series Rocket. My plan is to pick up another L-13 kit and modify it into a different Goddard L-series rocket. Jim's kit is really a great base to work from.

Trouble is, I haven't found any good detailed information on any other L-series rockets yet. I'm not sure where to head next to look. I believe he flew around 16 L-series rockets. I obviously don't want to build all of them (in retrospect, maybe...) but I need some detailed drawings of other ones he flew.

Do you guys have any suggestions of where to look or whom to inquire?

-Clif

I've seen people build all or most of the Saturn-based rockets in the same scale for a collection. I'd like to put together something similar with Goddard's work.

The " Mask(ing) Marvel"
I have maybe 3-6 rockets out of about 40 built that are COMLETELY BUILT.

Thanks! I have a bit of a nasty habit to feverishly work on a project until it's complete. My problem is staying in a single realm of work. Before the L-13, the last thing I built was a 16" canoe from scratch. :)

Rocketry is an old and early love of mine. I'm glad to have reunited.

-Clif

As for the missing details, that's one of the reasons it is called a "sport scale" rather than "scale". True scale takes a lot more work and adds a great deal of cost and may not be (most likely isn't) of interest to most builders. HOWEVER, the core vehicle is close enough to scale to provide a good base for someone (like you) who wants to put in the extra work to make it as close to scale as possible.
jim

Jim - that really means a lot to me coming from you. I have pdfs of all the retrofit plans if you're interested. Assuming I may need to add nose weight they may need a bit of amending after I CP/CG test it.

-Clif

I'd like to second what everybody else saying about the extraordinary quality of this build. I also agree with Jim Flis that you have set a new standard for first build threads (my own was a Fliskits Stingray, poorly done but my best effort up to that time). I think to top you, somebody would actually have to land on the moon and return safely to earth.

I would very much appreciate your permission to copy your original post to the gallery.

I'd like to second what everybody else saying about the extraordinary quality of this build. I also agree with Jim Flis that you have set a new standard for first build threads (my own was a Fliskits Stingray, poorly done but my best effort up to that time). I think to top you, somebody would actually have to land on the moon and return safely to earth.

I would very much appreciate your permission to copy your original post to the gallery.

You're welcome. :) By all means - you have my permission to post in the gallery.

-Clif

Peter and Jim - maybe you can help me in the next rocket I want to build.

Peter - Your drawings were amazing and I couldn't have done it without them. They're on the wall behind my workbench and on my phone. I'd study them at down times in work for ideas on how to make the rocket more accurate.

I really like Goddard's work, but I haven't been able to find a whole lot online. The next rocket I'd like to build is another Goddard L-Series Rocket. My plan is to pick up another L-13 kit and modify it into a different Goddard L-series rocket. Jim's kit is really a great base to work from.

Trouble is, I haven't found any good detailed information on any other L-series rockets yet. I'm not sure where to head next to look. I believe he flew around 16 L-series rockets. I obviously don't want to build all of them (in retrospect, maybe...) but I need some detailed drawings of other ones he flew.

Do you guys have any suggestions of where to look or whom to inquire?

-Clif

I've seen people build all or most of the Saturn-based rockets in the same scale for a collection. I'd like to put together something similar with Goddard's work.

Clif,

That's the rub.... You see, Goddard .designed rocket MOTORS.... The actual rocket was a necessary tool with which to test the motors (for the most part). I don't think he's ever put all that much thought into the rocket designs so long as they met the need of the test of the motor (or steering vanes, gyros, etc.). That is why you can't find much documentation on the rockets. It simply doesn't exist!

Most of what you CAN find are drawings made from old grainy photo's (another reason you'd be hard put to enter a Goddard rocket in any NAR scale contest (lack of a scale data packet...). :)

Jim

That is why you can't find much documentation on the rockets. It simply doesn't exist!

That's unfortunate. I was hoping there was another one or two of his designs in a rocketry book or something out there. I may reach out to Clark University at some point.

-Clif

That's unfortunate. I was hoping there was another one or two of his designs in a rocketry book or something out there. I may reach out to Clark University at some point.

-Clif

If you go to Clark, be sure to take a gander of the FlisKits Nell and L-13 that are part of the display there. These beauties were built by Tony Vincent of CMASS. The Nell there was actually launched in Auburn, MA at the same site that Goddard flew HIS! Way kewl :)

If you go to Clark, be sure to take a gander of the FlisKits Nell and L-13 that are part of the display there.

I admired both of those kits for a long time online. A couple detail shots of that L-13 was hung above my bench for reference - and bar to strive for. :)

Unfortunately, being in Texas, I'm planning on reaching out to Clark remotely.

-Clif

Back