Fliskits L-13 paint guide correction

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antares JS

Professional Amateur
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I thought I should share this with everyone. I was working on painting my L-13 and found an error in the paint guide - 12.29" was written twice. I sent an email to Fliskits and they got back to me with the correction I have made in the attached picture.

If you have an L-13 in your build pile, you might want to take note of this correction.

20210408_175249.jpg

This was one of the more challenging paint schemes I've attempted. It does look really cool when its done. I noticed the measurement issue when I built mine and asked Jim Flis about it he gave me the correct size, I did the best I could.

Attachments

• 511.JPG
    511.JPG
    217.3 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Digital calipers are one of my favorite tools!

This was one of the more challenging paint schemes I've attempted. It does look really cool when its done. I noticed the measurement issue when I built mine and asked Jim Flis about it he gave me the correct size, I did the best I could.
Hey Mike,
Did you launch it yet? I'm wondering how it flies with those small fins.

Yes, I've flown it a few times on a C6-5. Even with the small fins, she flies great.
Interesting because on a C6-3 it sims to be both marginal speed off the rod and weathercocks because the it is 7x dia. over-stable and nose heavy. On my build, I drilled out the nose cone to loose 6g of weight and it balances much better. This incrementally increases the speed and altitude.

An alternative would be to have the 18" BT on top and the 8.65" BT on the aft end. This moves the coupler down and changes the balance properly without changing any weight.

BTW, FlisKits should change to a 3/16" launch lug for this size rocket. Using a stiffer 4' x 3/16" rod improves performance over a 3' x 1/8" rod. I normally up-size my launch lugs on rockets (going to 3/16" from 1/8" and going to 1/4" from 3/16" on light mid-power rockets and having dual 1/4" and launch buttons on heavy mid-power rockets). I only use 1/8" on the very small and lightest weight rockets.

Interesting because on a C6-3 it sims to be both marginal speed off the rod and weathercocks because the it is 7x dia. over-stable and nose heavy. On my build, I drilled out the nose cone to loose 6g of weight and it balances much better. This incrementally increases the speed and altitude.

An alternative would be to have the 18" BT on top and the 8.65" BT on the aft end. This moves the coupler down and changes the balance properly without changing any weight.

BTW, FlisKits should change to a 3/16" launch lug for this size rocket. Using a stiffer 4' x 3/16" rod improves performance over a 3' x 1/8" rod. I normally up-size my launch lugs on rockets (going to 3/16" from 1/8" and going to 1/4" from 3/16" on light mid-power rockets and having dual 1/4" and launch buttons on heavy mid-power rockets). I only use 1/8" on the very small and lightest weight rockets.
*shrug* It flies fine on the C6-3 and C5-3 with a 1/8" lug.

On mine, the nose cone did not have the groove already cut in it. I guessed as best I could and cut the groove myself, I may have cut away enough material address the perceived stability and weight issue.

Back