Fliskits FarScape Construction

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometime next year we are going to re-evaluate our skill level identification and probably change some kits, but the FarScape will stay 3 ... :)

It would be nice if you could separate technical builds from scale detail and tricky flight, with respect to difficulty levels. Different people like different kinds of challenges.

Maybe just a note in the catalog would be enough though ;-)

In the next catalog and on the web I am hoping to put a hints-n-tips sheet for each kit (obviously more involved on the web), giving some of the great ideas we've received about different kits.

Originally posted by brianc
I know you're out there! How's everyone doing on their builds?

Well I just got mine the other day (Number 12 beleive it or not!), however I'm not sure I want to open it...I am sure I don't want to work on it just yet...got too many others on the table (Duece, Super Bertha, Little Joe II)

Well, it had to happen sooner or later. While sanding the fins, I snapped not
one but both of the Hyper-TAC antenna's (the ones on the body tubes)...

Luckily, they didn't break off completely. Rather than replace the wood with
another piece of the same size or go the monofilament route, I thought 'why not
add a second sliver of wood and paper wrap'?

This doubled up the thickness on the part most likely to be damaged, while still
matching the thin support fin. The extra glue and wrap make this a much stronger
structure. I had a closeup picture detailing the new antenna's, but the flash
washed it out too much. :(

Instead, here's a picture of a bulkhead detail I added. I used Elmers wood filler to build
out the fillets between the body tubes. Then I 'pulled' the fillets aerodynamically
to the centerline behind the bulkhead. This doesn't stick up too much from BT and you
almost can't see it after the black paint, but it's still a cool little feature.

Got my kits today. Very Nice. Simple components (Ever notice how just a bag full of ordinary parts can be turned into a very neat looking rocket?). I got kit number 5 and 19. Number 19 I plan to build, kit number 5 is going to hang on the wall for a while :). I like these low numbered kits. I wonder if my future wife (whomever she would be) would understand... :D

Anyway, one question: Where can I find 150 pound mono-filament fishing line to use for the antennas? I defiently want the flexable antennas, because I know I am going to break them.

Here is a sugesstion for Jim. When packing the kits in the bag, I noticed that the dowel rod collection was taped to the instructions... I suggest that they be taped on the back of the pattern sheet. Because the first thing I did when I got the kit (ok, it was the second, looking at the decals came first) was to take out the instructions and head to the reading room... (long drive from the launch). If I did not notice that right away... they could of been lost or damaged in transit ;).

Originally posted by n3tjm
Where can I find 150 pound mono-filament fishing line to use for the antennas?

For my additional details, I'm planning on using some clippings from my Weed-eater
spool...

I had a closeup picture detailing the new antenna's, but the flash
washed it out too much.

Well lookie what I found.... I thought I had taken more than one shot!

This is before I did some finish sanding, so no rivet counting from the peanut gallery. :)

Looking good, and some great mods :) I have *got* to get a hint's and tips section up for each kit!

jim

Wow! there sure are a lot of nooks and crannies on this bird!

I first did a light sanding with 150 grit, followed by grey primer. Then sanded
with 220 and hit it with a quick coat of black just so I could show it off at the HERC
launch. Jason's first words when he saw the FarScape- "That Jim sure is a
genius, isn't he?" :)

Today, I sanded the black with 320 wet/dry in preparation for another coat of grey primer.

That coat will probably get P800 wet sanded and then I'll move on to the black finish coats.

The double curve of the nosecose exposes a tremendous amount of wood grain.

I think I applied Minwax sanding sealer for almost an hour! The balsa just kept
drinking it up...

Even after the first round of primer, there were a couple of spots where it
could have used more.

Oh, i agree about the grain on those nose cones. I have had very good luck with fill-n-finish with that beast.

Looking great too! :)

Anybody notice that the Tulanko tail made it in this kit too? :D

Oh... can't wait to start building :)... I am so psyched. Already know how I am going to paint it :). Black of corse, but the details... Oh the DETAILS!!!! :D. I will need to get some Yellow and White Testors paints (I already have Red)... I know what I am going to do :D...

I think I crossed that line.... :D

Sorry no pic- imagine a baby's bottom. This is smoother. :)

Hopefully Friday night, I'll get the first finish coat on & I'll post a pic then.

Jim-- What's the predicted altitude on a B6-4? I might try and sneak in
a launch at the corner park. For comparison, what does your finished
display model weigh? Do you know what the Cd would be? How about the CP?

I have a first finish coat of gloss black on.

Here's a few shots-

...especially without other colors to add detail or contrast!

Here's a shot of the tail up close.

it IS tough trying to figure out what the darned fins are *doing* when you take pix of this thing, isn't it??? LOL

Lookin' good though!

OK, at least I have an excuse for not getting to paint/decals...
Two hurricanes in four weeks- who'da thunk? Kinda brings
a whole new meaning to wet sanding! :)

So where is everyone else? I can't be the only TRFer that cracked
the package...

Yea, i was kinda wondering the same thing... we've sold a *lot* of these kits... ...where are they?? :)

jim

OK, at least I have an excuse for not getting to paint/decals...
Two hurricanes in four weeks- who'da thunk? Kinda brings
a whole new meaning to wet sanding! :)

So where is everyone else? I can't be the only TRFer that cracked
the package...

Hey man, I lost power this weekend! :) Can't build in the dark! (It's on my build table next to my upscale Maxi-Icarus build. You'll get pics soon!)

Originally posted by jflis
Yea, i was kinda wondering the same thing... we've sold a *lot* of these kits... ...where are they?? :)

jim

Well I've opened mine, but just to look through it. I haven't started building yet. I want to finish my Stingray first.
And I need to paint my Praetor, Rhino, and Overdrive. Still haven't built my ACME Spitfire, oh and there's the Corona still in it's package, and the Tres in his. :rolleyes:
Maybe if Jim would take a break from releasing kits, I could get caught up. :D

Tim

Originally posted by slim_t
Well I've opened mine, but just to look through it. I haven't started building yet. I want to finish my Stingray first.
And I need to paint my Praetor, Rhino, and Overdrive. Still haven't built my ACME Spitfire, oh and there's the Corona still in it's package, and the Tres in his. :rolleyes:

Well now, *this* is a good sign :)

Maybe if Jim would take a break from releasing kits, I could get caught up. :D

Tim

ain't gonna happen :D

okay not only did I get mine opened but it is finished and with the first coat of primer on it the weather is not cooperating (as I have to be outside to paint). It is a very intimidating looking kit but a very fun build and not as tough as I first thought, the directions were very clear (minus a few typos) and broken into easy steps that as I went along it came together with only one gun/antenna breaking off twice (grrrr) easily repaired. I did photo copy the fin guide just incase I goofed cutting something out but didn't need it. now to fly it in the same field that I witnessed its test flights. see you on the 18th Jim:D

Please do me a favor and send me an email list of the typo's and I will correct them on the next pass. thanx! :)

jim

Originally posted by jflis
ain't gonna happen :D

I didn't think so. We wouldn't have it any other way. :)
I know I saw at least 3 possibilities in the photo album. :cool:

Typos? Jim, make typos? What? No way. :eek: :D
Don't worry about typos with me Jim, I'm an expert at Wheel of Fortune. ;) :D

Tim

Well, eugenefl was making <a href="https://rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11208">some serious progress</a> on his FarScape, so I felt I needed to get moving again...

Here's some close-ups of the decals-

First up: The tail

Here's the center tube coupling.

If you look closely, you'll see I ripped the decal on the forward sensor grid... <grrr>
My fingers are too big to fit in between the tubes. I had an unfortunate
twist of the tweezers while attempting to reposition the decal. Oh, well...

And the other side of the NC

I really like how the NC turned out. I was initially concerned because of
all the exposed grain. Nothing a bunch of Minwax sealer couldn't take care of.

Back