Flight Data Record Sheet?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacEsq

Reaction score
Been looking around here and have not found anything. Search has never been my friend ....

Wanting to keep a record for flights of our rockets for future reference. Mostly for motor/delay selection but also want to record speed and altitude etc as I will be getting an altimeter soon.

What do you all use?

Thanks

I just record DATE, TIME, TEMP, Aprox. WIND & DIRECTION, Aprox ALT (no altimeter YET!), Recovery Type.
Then I describe the boost (straight, cork screw, etc), Ejection (ascending, apogee, descending) & aprox bearing & dist. from pad (ie: NWN, 400 yds +/-). And for grins I record launch director (usually a friends child) tracking (wife & myself) & recovery (usually friends stationed around 100 yds downwind). I write it all down on paper (I get weather info (WX) from smart phone) & enter it into notes on my IPad.
However you can find data cards on Rocket Club Sites, or buy from vendors like APOGEE.

Flight Data records, like many other things in this hobby, are a matter of personal choice. Here is what works for me. I have a 9"x6" ring binder where I record my reference data. I created the initial chart template in Excel and photocopied it directly onto my loose leaf sheets. It is formatted with only the information that is important to me. I found that trying to use pre-published sheets meant a lot of superfluous blanks that were unimportant to me, as well as a larger size binder that didn't fit my range box.

At the launch site, I use the flight log binder as a read-only reference. I have found that trying to record entries into the binder during a launch is inconvenient. Therefore, I keep a small pad of paper in my range box where I can scrawl notes about the day's flights, and I transcribe them to my log book as part of the "clean out and organize" routine when I get home.

I know there are plenty of high tech solutions out there. But since I sit in front of a computer for 40 hours a week, I am happy to be away from the keyboard when I am out flying my rockets. Besides, many launch sites are not exactly wi-fi hotspots.

flight log.jpg

If you add your rocket to your "Rocketry Gallery" at RocketReviews.com, you can print a copy of your Flight Log with blank entries to record new flights. Even if you don't record your flights at RocketReviews.com, you cam print a blank Flight Log record form.

-- Roger

The flight log gives me an error.

Sorry ... it should be working now. I uploaded some changes to the site this morning and didn't realize that some of the updated files weren't transferred.

-- Roger

I do something similar to what LW has pictured in his post.

Just a simple steno/wire bound notepad on which I log the flights. It's very useful to know things like the all up weight (AUW), the chute used, how many quick links in the recovery train, etc. Of course, I include the motor/reload and the nominal delay. If something untoward happens during or afterward, I record that too.

A quick review of my log shows that a recent Snow Ranch launch I learned that my Madcow flies better than it swims.

Yep I just use a spiral and a pen, when I remember to record data at all. Though I do like the forms that Jolly Logic put out for use with the Altimeter Two.

Apogee has a log sheet that was developed as we were beta testing the AltimeterTwo, so it was developed to work well with the AltimeterTwo.
It may be overkill if you're not using an AltimeterTwo and capturing statistics like engine burn time, ejection delay, etc., but it's perfect if you are.
It's free and downloadable at https://www.apogeerockets.com/downloads/pdfs/Altimeter_Two_Data_Sheet.pdf
Here's an image:AltimeterTwo_Data_Sheet.png

Back