Flashpan Ignition of clusters

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elapid

Reaction score
first i'd like to invite any additions of successes and failures when using flashpan ignition for clusters.

I love clusters.
it is awesome when all the motors are spewing hot flaming fire and choking clouds of smoke!

after my return to rocketry, advanced topics became quite interesting to me; clusters, staged flights, odd designs, and scale models became a big focus. I built my TriAgain as a sub-minimum diameter, 3-E motor clustered rocket. Even with only 3 motors, it wasn't uncommon for one to fail to ignite.

I did a little research and came across a technique called flashpan ignition. I went to the local gun shop and picked up a small can of 4F gunpowder and decided on a slightly different version of the method for several reasons.

My method is quite simple and almost foolproof.
almost.

I load the rocket with motors normally, then i take the lid off the 4F and pour some into the cap, then i pour it from the cap into the motor nozzles, filling them and mounding it above the edge of the motor casing. once each of the nozzles is full, i take a piece of 2" wide masking tape and tape it across the bp/motors and fold it around the bottom of the airframe to secure it. another layer of 4F may be added after the motors are taped, and another layer of masking tape over that. now make a small slit in the tape, or poke a hole with the launch rod if you forgot to bring something with you and insert an estes igniter, or igniter of your choice. load the rocket normally, and you're set!

i love the way it goes *poof* pause *whoosh*!

I've had 3 failures using flashpan.

1. MMT was constructed in a shoddy manner, with gaps at the forward end of the MMT tubes and the aft end left unsealed (the gaps between the MMT tubes). the force of the flash ejected one or two of the motors, which were also ignited from the proper end. this could have been dangerous with larger (than C6) motors.

2. similar to the first failure, a 3-motor cluster was launched with flash ignition, it had flown many times before, but i think i used standard electrical means. there was a gap in the center of the 3-motor cluster which was not plugged. on ignition, the force of the blast blew the nosecone and recovery system out the front, all 3 motors ignited and the rocket did cartwheels just above the launch rod due to lack of nose(weight).

3. one cluster (4 x A3PT & 3 x A3-4T) failed to ignite even though all the 4F burned. i used *extra* and it went fine the next time around.

My biggest cluster? i did a 14-motor cluster of A3-4T motors in a Mosquito upscale with a 2.6" airframe. it was an awesome boost, all the motors lit, but the chute got wedged on deployment and the rocket came down hard (but flat) on the range.

so... it seems most of the failure modes involve not properly sealing the MMT area and making certain that the force of the flash is not transmitted into the airframe.

i like my method because when using an aluminum pan the wind could move it around maybe even spilling the powder...the tape also protects the rocket from getting scorched so badly.

i did just think of another protective measure make a ring of aluminum foil that slides over the aft end of the rocket, like a pie plate with a hole in the center... it would sit up against the fins to protect them from the blast and just fall away on launch.

flashpan ignition is hard on rockets.

While not personally familiar with Flashpan Ignition, I am aware of the concept.

I would like to point out one thing that I am aware of that you need to be aware of. I saw a failure of a flashpan ignition attempt that could have been easily avoided.

A large cluster was mounted on the pad and the flashpan set up. A gust of wind tlited the model on the pad and the crew straightened it up again. Unknown to them, all of the powder in the flashpan had slide to one side when the rocket tilted. When ignited, only 1/2 of the motors lit as the other half didn;'t have any powder under them.

Just keep this in mind :)

jim

At LDRS 22 Bruce Lee (not the actor) and this one other guy built a rocket and used flash pans to light 316 Estes D11 motors. I have lit 4 Quest micro maxx motors using a flash pan. But you should try using a clip whip. Flash pans can be just as unreliable.

Originally posted by Elapid

i like my method because when using an aluminum pan the wind could move it around maybe even spilling the powder...the tape also protects the rocket from getting scorched so badly.

I have used a tape method for micromaxx. I filled the nozzles and then covered a small area of tape with powder, basically whatever stuck to the adhesive. Only tried it a few times and it did result in a blown nozzle in one case.

Why not try something much simpler? Use the new Hot Shots. It's simple, Insert a Hot Shot into each nozzle, secure with a standard Estes igniter plug.

Pick out the red marked leads, twist them together. Now twist the other leads together. Attach clips and let her rip!

I lit 6 out of 7 motors on my clustered rocket the other day. Six C's and 1 D. One of the C's did not light. Post flight inspection revealed that the problem was user error. The igniter fired but was not able to light the propellant due to slippage. The igniter had slipped out of the nozzle just enough to cause a misfire.

I suppose FAT FINGERS played a role in this.

I have a chance to launch it again this weekend, I'm sure it will work out OK this time.

Flash Pan Ignition is cool, I have only seen it used once. It did not light all of the motors, and the bottom of the rocket was charred.

See:
https://www.quickburst.net/hotshot.htm

I've never used flashpan...does it scorch the bottum of the rocket?

It seems to me like it would.

Originally posted by Elapid
I did a little research and came across a technique called flashpan ignition. I went to the local gun shop and picked up a small can of 4F gunpowder and decided on a slightly different version of the method for several reasons.

One word of warning... Be careful what you buy -- you want 4F black powder, not 4F black powder substitute such as Clear Shot.

Black powder substitutes have a totally different burn rate when unconfined; you want the burn rate of true black powder for this method to be effective.

-Kevin

Originally posted by Rocket Guy 1317
At LDRS 22 Bruce Lee (not the actor) and this one other guy built a rocket and used flash pans to light 316 Estes D11 motors. I have lit 4 Quest micro maxx motors using a flash pan. But you should try using a clip whip. Flash pans can be just as unreliable.

The other Guy was Larry Drake, not the actor either. The project was almost all Larry's as Bruce was mostly money man it costs alot to purchase 316 D11 motors.

Larry has done other large clusters in 1997 Larry flew the world record for a successful cluster consisting of 269 A-10 motors.
I cannot find a picture of his rocket it but it was very impressive.

Larry's Maxi-D also suffered from the flash pans shifting. The rocket tilted and only half of the motors started.

Scott

No, i'm pretty sure almost all of them lit (IIRC).

Originally posted by cjl
No, i'm pretty sure almost all of them lit (IIRC).

If you are talking about the flight at LDRS 22, only 137 or 138 of 316 lit, not even half

Originally posted by rstaff3
Flashpans certainly are hard on the rockets. I personally am loving quickmatch for the ignition of BP clusters.

Wahey! :D

I've seen one in the flesh and it works great. Too much work for my feeble fab skills...well now that I have a drill press maybe not. I'm not saying it is the best solution to clustering, but it is unique :)

A drill press would be handy during fabrication. It is intriguing that the author list 100-percent reliability (note few tests). The downside of the melting and deforming tubes could be a problem. I like the idea of the removable (sacrificial) tubes. The other downside is the unique fabrication per cluster configuration. Still it looks reliable. The author notes a concern for NAR compliance, but I do not see a problem as the initial ignition is electrical using an Estes ignitor.

me and josh are both part of sevra and i have seen him use this a few time and as far as i know he has never had a failure with it, i was really quite impressed with it. if you like doing cluster you might really think about making one.

I have only heared of them being used with BP motors, I do remember a large rocket with many c or d motors and some catoed, some didnt light. Remember the saucer at LDRS? I think the FP would get them all to light but with more then 3 or 4 motors, one is going to cato, also how do you know how much BP to use?

Also that seems a lot more dangerous, if I was loading a rocket up I would rather have the rocket ignite and lift off then have a pan of BP blow up in my face, atleast the motor may not light right away and I could run, last may there was a mechanical failure and just as someone was walking away from their rocket it went, they were 20' away, it was a rocket on a MPR motor so he would be fine if he was next to it but with BP, it would have hurt. :(

Originally posted by rstaff3
Flashpans certainly are hard on the rockets. I personally am loving quickmatch for the ignition of BP clusters. Very reliable.

Want to use pyrodex? Try one of these https://www.meatballrocketry.com/spider.htm
Quickmatch is certainly the way to go for BP and mixed clusters, a little practice and it is as near to 100% reliable as you can get. It is all I use for clusters and I haven't had a failure in ages. Even better, there is no question of 'Is my controller up to firing n igniters?', no current calculations, just prep and launch.

The only problem with quickmatch is that it is VERY expensive. The match is cheap, but the cost of BP motors, ten at a time, adds up:cool: (wishing I had bought out the entire stock of D12-0s at $3/pack!)

The author notes a concern for NAR compliance, but I do not see a problem as the initial ignition is electrical using an Estes ignitor.

true but whats stopping someone from making a long trail of black powder to the pan and sticking an igniter in it over by the launch controller ...it's still "electrical" or is it? so containment seems to be more important. atleast thats my thinking.

Anyway, I have a large cluster underway and want to try flashpan. I bought some 4f from a local gunshop.

Originally posted by Rocket Guy 1317
What is quickmatch and where can I buy it?

It is a fast burning protechnic fuse. I got mine from Skylighter, but others places like Firefox may have it. The big issue is Skylighter will not ship it. It has to be picked up at their facility or delivered at a show.

https://www.skylighter.com/

Originally posted by jraice
[B last may there was a mechanical failure and just as someone was walking away from their rocket it went, they were 20' away, it was a rocket on a MPR motor so he would be fine if he was next to it but with BP, it would have hurt. :( [/B]

that was ME
and it was a High Power rocket on an I motor, not a midpower.
pretty scary.

the quantity of powder used is determined empirically.
too much and it will blow up the rocket. too little and incomplete ignition may occur.

flashpan is only used to ignite black powder motors.

EEK! That would have been scary :eek: .

Too much and it blows up the rocket you say? How come, it's not even under containment..? - Or does the instant atmosphere overpressure around the motors overpressurise the BP motors instead ... :confused: ?

Just a note to those who wish to try Quickmatch, a functional equivalent of it can be made safely and easily with 4Fg BP and thin stickytape.

Run a powder train down the required length of fuse in tape (Down a strip, as long as you like).
Fold over, as tight as you can / to fit the nozzle it'll need to fit.
On ignition, the flamefront will almost instantly reach the other end, because the tape acts as a flame tunnel. A decent volume of fire will fly out of the other end.
Use on what you like... only BP motors though, like with Quickmatch.

This is called stickymatch, and is sold commercially for pyrotechnics. The only difference with the commercial version is that one side is left sticky, so you can tape it to mortar racks etc. 'cause it's used in the pyrotechncis industry.

i mean the hot burning flames of fire tend to consume balsa fins to a small extent...

:)

Oh, good-o then :) .
I can imagine it doing that ;) . But hey, Balsa charcoal is pretty good for making BP anyway if you're into doing that whole recycling thing :p .

This R&D project will be presented next Wednesday evening at NARAM-47, with a demo launch planned for the following day.

Check this out:

9 flights, total of 74 motors (the last two flights had 13-motor clusters). 100 percent ignition in all tests!

- No damage to any of the models aft ends.
- Replaceable tubes work great!
- This is designed for use with Pyrodex--I have not tested with any BP

Josh Tschirhart

Back