First Nations Launch Competition 2018

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Furtman

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I work at a Tribal College in NW Wisconsin as an IT guy. I've also been a low power Rocket Boy since junior high. (I'm 67). So when our college was invited to particpate in the 2018 First Nations Launch competition and held by the Wisconsin Space Grant Consortium I was asked to be an advisor/mentor to the team.

Since we were a first time participant the WSGC came to the college and held a 3 day high power rocket building workshop. Every team member, including myself built a LOC Caliber. And luckily there is a rocketry club in our area, the Western Wisconsin Association of Rocketry, WWAR, and the WSGC contacted them to see if we could fly at their launch site, the Grantsburg WI airport. So we had a chance to launch the rockets we built on that Sunday. Each one of us received our TRIPOLI level 1 certification.

As a team we had to build a scale model of a real rocket that had dual deployment and that needed to fly to at least 3000' but not more than 3500'. We chose a Public Missils AIM 120 AMRAAM. Public Missiles was a great company to work with. The weekend of the launch which was in late April, 2018. But I didn't make it as I had just had back surgery. Our rocket hit 3246' and landed maybe 100-150' from the launch rod. We took 3rd place out of 20+ teams.

Here is a WSGC video of my team. This introduced them to a whole new world & I am grateful that I was there to help them. Oh, we have been invited for the 2019 Competition. :)

Nice recovery!

The WI Space Grant Consortium does some great work. Both undergrad and high school. They have supported Westosha Central HS’s aviation club, too. (Hi, Ms. Bolz)

I didn’t attend that launch - but I -did- hear a number of the flights. I own a little hard cider company 1 mile straight north of the Bong launch area. We can hear bigger motors clearly.

I missed this launch, but have supported as a technical whatever at the last one. Hope to make it out to the 2019 launch, as it's cool to see all the teams from all over.

Nice recovery!

The WI Space Grant Consortium does some great work. Both undergrad and high school. They have supported Westosha Central HS’s aviation club, too. (Hi, Ms. Bolz)

I didn’t attend that launch - but I -did- hear a number of the flights. I own a little hard cider company 1 mile straight north of the Bong launch area. We can hear bigger motors clearly.

Charles, I'll have to check out your establishment when I'm down there for the next competion in April 2019. :)

Greg - looks like everyone had a great time - very nice video, thanks for sharing!

Back