First DD

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikemech

Reaction score
I'm putting together my first dual deploy rocket, and eventual L1. Between the books and the forum I found everything I need, I think, except orientation of the altimiter. I bought a PerfectFlite StratoLogger SL100 and now I need to know if there is a top and bottom to the unit. There are no markings visible and the pictures I've found on the forum don't show which end of the av-bay is up. Does it matter?

I'm putting together my first dual deploy rocket, and eventual L1. Between the books and the forum I found everything I need, I think, except orientation of the altimiter. I bought a PerfectFlite StratoLogger SL100 and now I need to know if there is a top and bottom to the unit. There are no markings visible and the pictures I've found on the forum don't show which end of the av-bay is up. Does it matter?

either way does not matter. just make sure it is mounted down tight.

Just remember that: any event that fails = you fail your cert.
Only altimeters that incorporate an accelerometer are directional dependent.

JD

Something I would recommend, if you want to try DD, set up the rocket for DD, except for 2 things. Leave the charge in the motor, and put the main parachute in the fin can. That was my first "Dual Deploy" flight, but it allowed me to test if everything worked well, without risking a bunch. Thank god I did, because the altimeter never even fired the charge.

:)

Ground test, ground test, ground test!

Use a vacuum chamber (the av-bay will work if it's seal well enough) and verify your matches will fire from your altimeter. Use charges fired from a remote controller to test the charge sizes for drogue and main. Once you have that all together, you should be good to go.

If you do a lot of testing, you will be very familiar with the altimeter and the first flight will not be a stressful one. That's what I did for my L1 cert. I was much more nervous about assembling my first snap ring motor then the DD part of the flight. I used a Loki I110W moonburner with 4.2 sec burn time that got my rocket to 4,200 ft. The DD worked perfectly and I got the cert on the first try. I didn't use an ejection charge in the motor on that flight or any DD flight since.

Definitely ground test and become familiar with the beeps and their meanings on the altimeter. Also remember, it may be tougher to hear them on the flight line. I tend to orient any LEDs toward the static ports so I can see any indicator lights that may be on the altimeters I'm flying.

Good luck!

Later!

--Coop

Back