Featherweight Sparrow Altimeter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Sparrow version interests you most?

• I don't like either option

• The Sparrow XS

• The Sparrow EZ

• Both!

Results are only viewable after voting.
I have re-read this thread a few times, while i'm not new to DD I have only used a few of the altimeters out there. And one of my biggest pet peeves of DD is that it is more complex than it needs to be. I personally would think the Sparrow EZ would be the bees knees. The less you have to set up and mess with the less that can go wrong, less work more time flyin. I don't build rockets without DD anymore and working AV bays is my least favorite task, so a one all included altimeter would really hit the spot.

With the size of the Sparrow XS you could hide one behind your ear and no one would know, just shy of 2 inches long and barley 5/8 of an inch wide! An excellent choice for a back up in a existing AV bay, or just plain retrofitting a rocket without.

I wish I could remember what I voted for when this thread started, because my vote now is both.

Thanks. You hit the nails on the head for the design motivation behind these 2 units.

Adrian,

We discussed using LED's as continuity and status indication of the unit.

You mention that a green blink indicates continuity on the channel. What about multiple channels? And overall status of the unit?

I would really like to get one or two of these to accompany some of my other altimeters but want to be sure that they feature 100% user interaction for those who are hard of hearing/deaf (like myself). I realize I'm mentioning this a little too late since you have already produced the prototype and are probably about to enter the beta phase, but wanted to ask anyway.

Thanks.
Mike

Every beep is accompanied by an LED flash. There are 2 tones in use. Whenever the high tone is used, the green LED is lit up, and whenever the low tone is used, the red LED is lit. For example, during prelaunch, the Sparrow beeps twice every few seconds in order to communicate the continuity status of the 2 channels (Apogee and then main). If the apogee channel is connected but not the main, you would see/hear a green, high beep and then a red, low beep.

Bringing this back to the top.
I am patiently waiting for the production units to be released.
I made the statement "I am not buying any more altimeters, until the Sparrows"
Well I have purchased two more...but the Featherweight faithful will be glad to hear
one is a Raven1 and the other is a Parrot2.
Kinda becoming brand loyal due to the exceptional performance of my Ravens.

Bringing this back to the top.
I am patiently waiting for the production units to be released.
I made the statement "I am not buying any more altimeters, until the Sparrows"
Well I have purchased two more...but the Featherweight faithful will be glad to hear
one is a Raven1 and the other is a Parrot2.
Kinda becoming brand loyal due to the exceptional performance of my Ravens.

If you want low-cost and small get the Missileworks RRC2+.

Yep. Prompt order fulfillment and customer support are still top priorities for me, but new product development has been on the back burner since I have been so busy with my regular job. On the plus side, if you'd like to send a payload to the moon, I'm making a lot of progress on that at my regular job: www.moonexpress.com

I haven't given up on the Sparrow, especially since it's so close to production, but I can't promise when it will be available.

Yep. Prompt order fulfillment and customer support are still top priorities for me, but new product development has been on the back burner since I have been so busy with my regular job. On the plus side, if you'd like to send a payload to the moon, I'm making a lot of progress on that at my regular job: www.moonexpress.com

I haven't given up on the Sparrow, especially since it's so close to production, but I can't promise when it will be available.

Now that is a very cool day job!

Thanks for your hard work. We can wait.

You your company luck. Hopefully you beat the Chinese.

Last edited:
I don't want to be a pain Adrian, so I'll be brief.

I would like to use a Sparrow for the altimeter competition events at NARAM next year. The events are such where an apogee deployment with electronics seems as though it would be advantageous. (I want to fly a plugged reload in E-ELA and a DD altimeter may be advantageous in B-ALT. Yeah, we're nuts.) Do you think the Sparrow will be ready in enough time that we can get it tested for NAR Contest Board approval?

I don't want to be a pain Adrian, so I'll be brief.

I would like to use a Sparrow for the altimeter competition events at NARAM next year. The events are such where an apogee deployment with electronics seems as though it would be advantageous. (I want to fly a plugged reload in E-ELA and a DD altimeter may be advantageous in B-ALT. Yeah, we're nuts.) Do you think the Sparrow will be ready in enough time that we can get it tested for NAR Contest Board approval?

There has been substantial progress, but also some setbacks. I haven't been keeping this updated with news because I think I've advertised too many false starts already. Do you know when the NAR contest testing would take place?

Yes this is of interest, when I check the approved altimeters Appendix G - the Raven 2 is listed but not the Raven 3.

Was curious if this was going to be added soon, would like to utilize in November for some events , and maybe a record

Kenny

Yes this is of interest, when I check the approved altimeters Appendix G - the Raven 2 is listed but not the Raven 3.

Was curious if this was going to be added soon, would like to utilize in November for some events , and maybe a record

Kenny

This is interesting. I never actually did anything with NAR to get the Raven2 approved. Tripoli bought several Raven2s to use to loan out to fliers for altitude records below 30,000 feet, so maybe that was why NAR approved them? I should look into the approval process.

I would recommend designing around altimeters other than the Sparrow for a November attempt, though.

This is interesting. I never actually did anything with NAR to get the Raven2 approved. Tripoli bought several Raven2s to use to loan out to fliers for altitude records below 30,000 feet, so maybe that was why NAR approved them? I should look into the approval process.

I would recommend designing around altimeters other than the Sparrow for a November attempt, though.

At first, contest approval was ad hoc, as far as I know. I haven't really been involved with it, so I can't tell you the details. We're supposed to be migrating altimeter testing to S&T soon, but I don't know when that will happen. If I hear anything, I'll let you know, Adrian. I think future testing will take place on a per altimeter basis, so as soon as the altimeter is ready and generally available.

Last edited:
I believe Adrian's too busy with his real job, figuring out how to mine the moon.
-Ken

I believe Adrian's too busy with his real job, figuring out how to mine the moon.
-Ken

You are probably right. I do miss his products. The raven 3 was spectacular when it was first released. Many of the other products have caught up feature wise. It still has most on size. N

You are probably right. I do miss his products. The raven 3 was spectacular when it was first released. Many of the other products have caught up feature wise. It still has most on size. N

Only issues with the Raven 3 is with very high altitude flights. Since I don't do that, not a problem for me. There is a bug in the Raven 2 if anyone is going to be flying above 60k they should be aware of. Not going to 60k? Don't worry.

Kurt

I've been very happy with the Raven 3. It's been in no fewer than 4 of my own projects, and is slotted for another. If Adrian gets to return to R&D for Featherweight and releases new products --Sparrow, for example, or the long-ago mused about GPS-- I'll get it.

Later!

--Coop

I've been very happy with the Raven 3. It's been in no fewer than 4 of my own projects, and is slotted for another. If Adrian gets to return to R&D for Featherweight and releases new products --Sparrow, for example, or the long-ago mused about GPS-- I'll get it.

Later!

--Coop

If you need a GPS tracker Coop, there are a lot of choices out there now and very close to being released. Missileworks and MARSA are right on the edge of "coming out".

There are issues with going "real high" with the Ravens that may or may not be mitigated by creative programming. Since I'm never going to go there, I'm happy with my R2 and R3 and not concerned about it.

There are some pretty small deployment units out there already. I still have an old Peanut and that thing is pretty small. That's the unit Adrian put out before the Raven came along. There are Adepts and Qwarks that are small and
Boris makes some small ones too. The Pico AD4 is about the tiniest but not the easiest to use.

Adrian might not be that interested in pushing development of anything else especially if he is occupied with making a living with his usual job. I wouldn't be surprised if his sabbatical lasts a long time.
Kurt Savegnago

I'm not concerned with going uber high. I've never flown for altitude records and am always well within the waiver here on the east coast. I'll be getting the Missile Works system, I'm sure. I've got at least 3 RRC3's, and one of the 2+'s, and all have served me well. I'd get it because I like the Featherweight brand and would want to support the line, aside from the practical purposes of telemetry/tracking which might not be feasible with the Telemetrum 2.0 --which is not a small unit, by any stretch. I'd like to see what he does with it.

Later!

--Coop

Latest posts

Back