Farside-X Reborn

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdjsky01

Kim's Rocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This weekend was final flight of my 10+ year old Farside-X. It was built from BMS parts and Jim-Z plans. As a three stager it's had some rough flights. Mostly the amount of burning and soot in the motor mounts of the booster. Then there is the occasional "a stage will not separate" and the motor above would burn through the stage below. Most of the time I could rip pieces out of it and get motors to still fit through the MMTs. However it was a PITA to prep. There was very little room in the sustainer for a chute, enough wadding, and the shock cord. Especially since that huge payload bay deserved a decent shock cord. Getting the motors properly fiction fitted was also a pain and became more so as time when on and pieces got more and more charred.

So last Sunday was it's last flight.

9885406735_f85f80bba0_z.jpg

The entire payload section was preserved. Everything else got Taps played and into the dust bin of rocketry history. I play around with ROCKSIM and so, Farside-X Reborn was born. It ticks a few check boxes. It'll use passport type staging. No cellophane tape. And have hooks for all the 18mm motors. And it'll have plenty of space for the recovery system.

It's still going to be 18/18/18mm (I have a TON of them) as I can use 3/16" rods that let it get up to speed for a safe boost on B6s and C6s... and I have a few B14-0's to try.

Thought not in this exported photo I did tweak the fins sizes to mix them up a bit more than the original. It's not a clone anymore with the longer sustainer. But it is quite stable even with the somewhat smaller fins as that big honkin payload section moves the CG well forward. And I think I'll still cant the fins.
ROCKSIM file to follow as I get it finalized.

farside_X_reborn.jpg

Last edited:
Seeing its not a true clone,go a step futher , name change,apply dark met blue(s) and black(s) pigments and call it "Darkside-X".

This weekend was final flight of my 10+ year old Farside-X. It was built from BMS parts and Jim-Z plans. As a three stager it's had some rough flights. Mostly the amount of burning and soot in the motor mounts of the booster. Then there is the occasional "a stage will not separate" and the motor above would burn through the stage below. Most of the time I could rip pieces out of it and get motors to still fit through the MMTs. However it was a PITA to prep. There was very little room in the sustainer for a chute, enough wadding, and the shock cord. Especially since that huge payload bay deserved a decent shock cord. Getting the motors properly fiction fitted was also a pain and became more so as time when on and pieces got more and more charred.

If you're not using the B14-0,... what engines did you launch it with? And what engine combination have you had success in the past with? Thanks!

Bob: B6-0 and C6-0's will lift it. B6-0 stages pretty low. I used a 48 inch 3/16ths rod. But if you are nervous you could even go to a 60inch 1/4 rod.

Scotty: Good idea! Let me give that some thought!

The kit... I generally make up and/or gather up things ahead of time on the scratchers if I can.

2013-09-27-DarkSide-X-0003.jpg

The motor mounts

2013-10-01-DarkSide-X-0001.jpg

Coming along... fins are one... fillets are drying... here's a quick "Wonder what it'll look like". Well, it looks like a stretched Farside-X. :wink: Fins are not as big as it's not needed with the extra length and those big honking basla bits.

2013-10-12-DarkSide-X-0002.jpg

2013-10-12-DarkSide-X-0003.jpg

Really nice looking rework! Have you decided on the colors? Is passport staging the same as gap staging?

Once all the pigment is on, I'll use a hole punch to create two neat holes on opposite sides of the gap between each stage. The boosters are 'slightly' longer than the stock Farside-X so that I could use motor mounts and clips rather than the problematic (for me) friction fit of three stages while they are all taped together.

IIRC "Passport" staging used an oversized coupler with two holes punched in it. But I gather the principle is the same. Relieve a little pressure so as to not quickly blow apart the stages giving the flame front/wave time to ignite the next stage.

So this sat as is, primered, for over a month. Why? I just could not figure out what I wanted to do with it paint wise. So it sat until a week ago or so when I bought a can of Rustoleum Black Night Metallic...
2013-11-23-DarkSide-X-0015.jpg 2013-11-23-DarkSide-X-0016.jpg

All I can say is wow. I am very happy with this paint. It's just what I wanted to see for the Darkside-X.
It is a bit hard to photograph and still get the metallic look. But you'll get the idea.

2013-11-16-DarkSide-X-0001.jpg 2013-11-16-DarkSide-X-0004.jpg 2013-11-17-DarkSide-X-0004.jpg 2013-11-17-DarkSide-X-0005.jpg 2013-11-17-DarkSide-X-0010.jpg

So then it came to what to do to add some interest to the rocket? The paint was fine... but leaving it black, even a nice one like that, was not in the cards... so I fired up Cut Studio and came up with this...

2013-11-19-DarkSide-X-0012.jpg

It was a bit of a pain to weed the vinyl and even a bigger pain to get on without wrinkles, but its okay. So that is the sensor array bling.

I am now working on the bling for the fins. But to give you an idea...
2013-11-19-DarkSide-X-0013.jpg 2013-11-23-DarkSide-X-0022.jpg

There are 18 sides to do... so it takes a little time. :wink:

Looks really cool! You should be proud! I'm thinking about trying paper on the fins soon, anything has got to be easier than trying to fill balsa grain..

Nice! Like the metallic look.
What's the maiden flight engine load and estimated altitude for this puppy?

So that is that. The Farside-X payload section reborn as the Darkside-X. Different fins for the bottom two stages and a somewhat longer upper stage to allow for easier recovery packing. Also uses gap staging and motor hooks for retention so I hope prep is easier than the original Farside-X.

All that is left to do is punch the vent holes in the stages and glue on the 3/16ths launch lugs. Maybe add a stripe or two.

First flight? Probably something like a C6-0 to a B6-0 to an A6-4 or A8-5. That's why I use 3/16th lugs. To use a 48in rod.
Then I may give one of my B14-0s a shot in the bottom stage.

FarSide X C6-C6-B4-6 2003-06-15 02.jpg 2013-11-24-DarkSide-X-0002.jpg 2013-11-24-DarkSide-X-0005.jpg

Back