"Faith" L1 HPR Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tg08

Reaction score
To keep this thread clean and open for comments, I put my build thread here, and here is the shortened version with just the media. This is an ongoing project that will most likely take a while due to the fact I return to school on Monday. Feel free to comment or ask questions in this thread.

I couldn't really tell from the pics if you were building a 29mm MMT in a 3" rocket or a 38mm in a 4" rocket. In either case, it should be a fun L1 project.

Good Luck!

I see you are in California. What kind of field will you be flying it on? What size rockets are usually flown there?

What altitude can you get and still recover with an apogee ejection? Will you need a tracker?

I've found that if you fly apogee deployment and stay about 25% below where most people fly dual deploy, that usually works well. You still have to fly the field because even a L1 cert will probably be higher than most other flights you've done.

Where we fly in Virginia, most people fly DD over about 3,000 ft. Apogee eject is usually fine below 2,400 ft., but on a breezy days, even that can cause a lost rocket.

Just fly the field. If you don't know what's OK, then ask, and ask again. Some will push limits, some won't. It's always good to get opinions from both sides. Just don't totally disregard the opinions you don't agree with.

Good Luck!

Where we fly in Virginia, most people fly DD over about 3,000 ft. Apogee eject is usually fine below 2,400 ft., but on a breezy days, even that can cause a lost rocket.
@tg08 Handeman is spot on. You might also think about using a Jolly Logic Chute Release...it can get you "dual deployment" performance and allow you to fly within the field, without the complexity and cost of traditional DD.

What kind of field will you be flying it on? What size rockets are usually flown there?
Tripoli San Diego, which is an airport surrounded by desert. There are all kinds of rockets from low to high power. I'm aiming for a slow descent rate to maximize chances of successful certification.
Will you need a tracker?
I'm using a tracker just as a precaution and a test (first time soldering an eggfinder together)
I'm thinking of a JLCR if it goes above 1,500 feet or so.

Sorry for the long delay, I couldn't decide what to paint the rocket. I've settled on my high school's color, green and blue, with a little beige and maybe some white. I hope to paint this weekend, but I am busy Saturday and Sunday, so maybe it will have to wait. All that's left is to paint, install rail buttons, and install the camera.

What is the weight on that thing? I would use something with some zest like the H242.

I don't think it's too heavy.

Here on the east coast with smaller fields, that's a good size for a L1. You can fly small H to large I motors and easily stay on the field. I flew a 4" 5lbs. rocket on a J350W today, which is only a 80Ns into the J range. It got 4137 ft. Not overly high for a L1 rocket, but was about right for our field conditions today.

I don't think it's too heavy.
I agree. As I’ve stated in other threads, I’m not trying to go super high. In fact, I’d rather have it somewhat low where everything is in sight, and I can just pop the chute out without any electronics. Just another flight in the books, nothing special.

I agree. As I’ve stated in other threads, I’m not trying to go super high. In fact, I’d rather have it somewhat low where everything is in sight, and I can just pop the chute out without any electronics. Just another flight in the books, nothing special.
As long as you use an appropriate motor. :)

I’ll be sure to keep that in mind for later. Right now, I’ll cert on a small motor, and then gradually push the envelope. My goal is to fly this on a J motor eventually, with electronics incorporated.

Decided my motor. An Aerotech H250G, borrowing casing from someone I know at the launch. Now the fun part begins; the process of getting the e-vendors to let my mom order an HPR motor for me. I have my NAR card and my passed written test, so hopefully that should be enough.

Back