Explain your avatar

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After looking it up, I’m confused about how this was entertaining enough to go to a movie theater!!!
These were movie serials. The movie theater managers would show these serials before or after the main feature(s). The would also show "news reels" summaries of notable current events around the world they thought people should know about. Not everyone in the late 1940s or early 1950s had TVs. I think the serials were intended to draw or capture and maintain a weekly or monthly audience that - if the main feature was a flop, at least the serial might entertain them more.

I'm Papa Elf. I work for Santa. You all better be good boys and girls this year (and sigh up for Christmas In July!)

But seriously, Mine is form one of our Christmas Musicals, I was manning the Choir Room where parents of students in the musical can go and sit and watch the musical which was projected on a screen if they didnt have tickets to see the musical that night.

Mine is my 3" diameter Big Red Max launching from my radio controlled launch barge on a lake in Florida. The barge is patterned after the drone ship SpaceX uses to recover Falcon 9 rockets. In a mashup of names of the SpaceX drone ships, I named it "Of Course I Still Read The Instructions."

Attachments

• IMG_0746.jpeg
    IMG_0746.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Mine is my 3" diameter Big Red Max launching from my radio controlled launch barge on a lake in Florida. The barge is patterned after the drone ship SpaceX uses to recover Falcon 9 rockets. In a mashup of names of the SpaceX drone ships, I named it "Of Course I Still Read The Instructions."
Was this launch a one and done? Or do you launch from the ship often. Waterproof rockets?

Was this launch a one and done? Or do you launch from the ship often. Waterproof rockets?
I launch from the ship about once a month. The rockets are just regular cardboard construction and not waterproof. I sometimes add a bit of thin CA glue inside the front of the body tube to stop it from getting too soggy in that spot, and use laminating epoxy to seal the fins. I use a boat to recover the rockets and usually pull them from the water within one minute of them splashing down, so they do not have a lot of time to get waterlogged. Although a black powder motor was used on the launch depicted in my avatar, I have since mostly switched to using composite motors for lake flights because the black powder motors swell up in the water and become difficult to remove. After recovery, I hang the rockets in my workshop to dry for about a week, and they are good as new. That picture was taken in 2021 and I still fly that 3" Red Max regularly.

I launch from the ship about once a month. The rockets are just regular cardboard construction and not waterproof. I sometimes add a bit of thin CA glue inside the front of the body tube to stop it from getting too soggy in that spot, and use laminating epoxy to seal the fins. I use a boat to recover the rockets and usually pull them from the water within one minute of them splashing down, so they do not have a lot of time to get waterlogged. Although a black powder motor was used on the launch depicted in my avatar, I have since mostly switched to using composite motors for lake flights because the black powder motors swell up in the water and become difficult to remove. After recovery, I hang the rockets in my workshop to dry for about a week, and they are good as new. That picture was taken in 2021 and I still fly that 3" Red Max regularly.
How do ignite them?

Mine was from 2015 when I tried pipe cleaner art for the first time to create a Wile E Coyote for a Fliskits Acme Spitfire (that I customized as a break-apart recovery version). I really liked his expression! 😆

WEC8.jpg

BreakawayACMESpitfire4a.jpg

BreakawayACMESpitfire4f.jpg

BreakawayACMESpitfire4k.jpg
I think your pipe cleaner coyote is superlative if I never said so before. Carry on! Straight smoke and good chutes.

Back