Estes Transwing Glider (2112) - Custom Reproduction

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hermanjc

Reaction score
I had this kit as a kid in the 90s and absolutely loved it. Now that it's not made/sold anymore (except for excessively high prices on eBay) I am reproducing it via the build instructions, pictures and some winging it (pun intended) with design and 3D printing. More to come.
PXL_20220602_042350488.MP.jpgPXL_20220602_042508281.MP.jpgPXL_20220602_042520656.jpg

Please keep us informed on this build. This is a nice glider. Interested in the 3D files, thanks.

Loved this glider in the 90's! It was a really good flier but eventually the fall away motor tube would get kinked and result in more horizontal launches. :oops:

Loved this glider in the 90's! It was a really good flier but eventually the fall away motor tube would get kinked and result in more horizontal launches. :oops:
I'm thinking of having the motor tube (which per the instructions were two 9" BT-50 tubes coupled together) actually separate in the middle and have the streamer or small parachute come out there vs the typical nose cone separation. Might help minimize damage on recovery.

I had this kit as a kid in the 90s and absolutely loved it. Now that it's not made/sold anymore (except for excessively high prices on eBay) I am reproducing it via the build instructions, pictures and some winging it (pun intended) with design and 3D printing. More to come.
View attachment 521350View attachment 521351View attachment 521352
Nicely done! I still have an unbuilt kit I scored years ago at a hobby store where a "retiree" from the sport donated all his stuff for anyone wanting to give it a good home.

One more tweak. I added a small pin (cutoff piece of paperclip) to the fuselage. This engages with the forward end of the glider pod slot to keep it in place during ascent. Initial outdoor glide tests are very encouraging. I'm overly excited for my first opportunity to launch and fly.
PXL_20220603_170343814.MP.jpgPXL_20220603_170350047.jpgPXL_20220603_170359867.jpgPXL_20220603_170410491.MP.jpg

Nice addition. Looks like you have this glider in hand.
Thanks.

The ejection charge was shot gun like and broke the short Kevlar nose cone line…I’ve never heard such an ejection charge…so I lost the nose cone. The glider deployed very far away and still would have been successful if not for one wing not swinging open due to the additional speed and a weak rubber band. It spiraled into ground but is still flyable! If I had not lost the nose cone I might have tried a D16-4! If you can overcome the rollovers with this model…👍

One more tweak. I added a small pin (cutoff piece of paperclip) to the fuselage. This engages with the forward end of the glider pod slot to keep it in place during ascent. Initial outdoor glide tests are very encouraging. I'm overly excited for my first opportunity to launch and fly.
View attachment 521707View attachment 521708View attachment 521709View attachment 521710
Beautifully and faithfully reproduced. Looking forward to your flight report (and hopefully some photos or video). :p

I would imagine you had a typical shack down the first flight like anyone would with a stock ESTES kit of this glider.
With a glider, I imagine it is trial and error for the first few flights. I'm sure you'll get the bugs out. Nice job.

Looking forward to the 3D files.

I would imagine you had a typical shack down the first flight like anyone would with a stock ESTES kit of this glider.
With a glider, I imagine it is trial and error for the first few flights. I'm sure you'll get the bugs out. Nice job.

Looking forward to the 3D files.
So when I was a kid I recall that after hand tossing the glider and trimming the pitch and roll with clay weights I certainly had a few good launches and glider return flights. The reason I don't have the rocket/glider anymore is because after its initial launches it lived under my parents stairs for 5+ years. Upon its re-emergence and attempted return to flight, all of the glue joints to the balsa failed, and basically disintegrated on liftoff.

Once I am done, I will load the files somewhere for others to re-live :)

Back