Estes Corsair and other "legacy" kits.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephen Henderson

Reaction score
Did a search of the threads, and didn't find what I was looking for (nor was google overly helpful).

First, thanks to everyone who contributed to my first post regarding getting back into the hobby. I've been exploring the forum and getting LOTS of information here about everything. Great group of people! Surprising, in this day in age, to find a forum without trolls, noise, and other nonsense. Great going guys and gals!

It took most of my neurons to remember my favorite rocket as a kid - the Estes Corsair (turns up my suspicion that the Mac game "Escape Velocity" did, indeed, take some designs from Estes - The Kestral, in particular).

I managed to find a pdf of the instructions via google (I guess I lied about google being a dead end, above), but without more information, I don't think I could reproduce the nosecone. I have a 3D printer (well, technically, my housemate does and I've never used it) so I could likely print something that would work, but I'm thinking of attempting to reproduce it...

UNLESS there is a way to get an original kit somewhere. I had my Corsair, back in the 80s, suspended from my bedroom ceiling. I've NO idea what happened to the rocket and, if I did pack it in one of the numerous boxes of crap in storage, I'm assuming it has not survived.

Besides the Corsair, what luck have folks here had with recreating their childhood favorites?

I did find, through google, some links claiming to connect with old Estes catalogs, but when redirected to the Estes site, one gets a 404 (more eloquently worded, of course). Are the old catalogs on the net somewhere that I'm not finding?

Thanks everyone! Back to building my Supernova (don't think I ever did a two-stage "back in the day"...)!

Cheers,
stevehelium

Thank you! Talk about a walk down memory lane! The 1988 catalog instigated quite the nostalgia flash!

And Astro Cam 110 gave me some new ideas about mounting my USB camera unit in the future - I've been thinking about 3D printing some sort of encasement for it. With the correct weights, the nose code idea seems like an idea to explore!

Is that the same canopy/nose cone as on the Lynx, Scorpion, and Puma? Looks similar, not sure of the exact size.

Thank you! Talk about a walk down memory lane! The 1988 catalog instigated quite the nostalgia flash!

And Astro Cam 110 gave me some new ideas about mounting my USB camera unit in the future - I've been thinking about 3D printing some sort of encasement for it. With the correct weights, the nose code idea seems like an idea to explore!
I'm working with Doug Bertelsen to create a CinerocDV (look at my avatar), an AstroCam 110DV, and the CamrocDV. I've also worked with Boyce Aerospace Hobbies on these projects. We're close, but not there yet (life keeps getting in the way). These files would allow you to print your own clone of the cameras, but modified to accommodate an 808 #16 camera, and be visually indistinguishable (or nearly) from the originals, until you look at the guts.

Last edited:
Is that the same canopy/nose cone as on the Lynx, Scorpion, and Puma? Looks similar, not sure of the exact size.
They all are BT20, so I'd say yeah, that's the exact cone. One of those kits would be $9 at AC Supply, so that's probably the easiest way to acquire the cone, and you'd body tube and motor mount parts as well in the bargain.

The nose cone P/N 071095 fits the 1999 Corsair, 1941 Foxfire, and 2039 Space Racer.
Nose cone P/N 073035 fits the 7256 Puma, 7233 Lynx, and 7232 Scorpion, and probably others.
They are both bt-20 tube size and look very similar. If you are not picky you could sub one for the other.
But even harder to replicate would be the Corsair's plastic tail cone. As far as I know that is unique to that kit.
Looks like drawing up a 3D file and printing it would be the way to go.
BTW the plans on JimZ's site includes a scan of the nose cone and tail cone with a ruler. Might be helpful if drawing up a CAD or 3D file.

Boy those noses are amazingly similar to be different. I wonder why JB made a new nose for the Lynx/Puma/Scorpion, unless the old molds were no good.

I can't tell what's going on with that tail cone piece. The picture in the instructions shows big slots in it, but in the finished model pictures it looks smooth. Any insight?

Steve could probably give a better insight, but looks like the slots are for two "wings" and a TTW slot is for a stab. Hard to see from the picture. Never seen that in any kit before or after. Makes me want to clone one.:D
Pip pip.

I'm working with Doug Bertelsen to create a CinerocDV (look at my avatar), an AstroCam 110DV, and the CamrocDV. I've also worked with Boyce Aerospace Hobbies on these projects. We're close, but not there yet (life keeps getting in the way). These files would allow you to print your own clone of the cameras, but modified to accommodate an 808 #16 camera, and be visually indistinguishable (or nearly) from the originals, until you look at the guts.
Is this what you are referring to?
https://boyceaerospacehobbies.com/?page_id=265
Purchased this a few months ago with parts from erockets to build an Omega clone. Hope to send this up with an 808 camera. But it's a ways down in my build queue.
Steve, you are lucky to become a BAR in the age of 3D printing. There is virtually nothing that cannot be replicated. Cheers.

Is this what you are referring to?
https://boyceaerospacehobbies.com/?page_id=265
Purchased this a few months ago with parts from erockets to build an Omega clone. Hope to send this up with an 808 camera. But it's a ways down in my build queue.
Steve, you are lucky to become a BAR in the age of 3D printing. There is virtually nothing that cannot be replicated. Cheers.
No... that is completely 3D printed... The mutual project creates parts that can be used to replace damaged, or lost parts, as drop in replacements for the original. The camera body (the cylindrical section with the camera fairing) could be an original, or use an Estes D-Region Tomahawk's body tubes to replace it. It's considerably lighter than the one you linked to.

Read more about it here: https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/the-creation-of-the-cinerocdv-camera.122324/

Last edited:
I’ve launched 808 keychain cameras simply taped onto the outside of BT-50 body tube rockets just aft of the nose cone without any problems.

I haven't spent a lot of time thinking about the camera yet. I got mine through an online shop and it was shipped from China. Model U-838. Camera is on the end of the USB stick and takes an SD card. Was planning to just secure it to the side of a rocket with tape of some sort to try it out (really haven't done my research at all), but then saw the old Astro Cam. I'll be digging about in the future figuring out how to achieve the video I'd like.

For now, I have to re-evaluate my launch area. Lost two rockets today (High Flyer II with a C engine, and my Supernova (B and A engines) ended up in a tree, not retrievable).

Back in the 80s, I launched quite a few, but have lost my "rocket sense" for where things are going to land.

Did NOT launch by Star Orbiter, thank goodness - I'm pretty sure we would have totally lost it. ;-)

The one thing I did kinda decide is to save finishing (painting, etc) for LATER until I get a little more used to this again - a lot of effort was expended for nothing in the past couple of weeks!

I’ve launched 808 keychain cameras simply taped onto the outside of BT-50 body tube rockets just aft of the nose cone without any problems.
Lots of people have... But for others there's a nostalgia factor, or a personal aesthetic, that draws them to Estes' classic camera rockets. I forgot to mention that the AstroVison and Oracle are in the works to be converted to accept an 808 camera.

DSC_6689.jpg
I made a shroud from cardstock to fit an Amazon. I agree that the classic camera rockets were really nice, and would be cool to reproduce them with the modern cameras. I was thinking of trying to figure out how to mount one in place of the cockpit canopy or nose cone on an X-24 bug to capture the pilot's point of view during the boost and glide, if you could manage to trim it to glide with the camera up there.

model rocketeer selfie:
Screen Shot 2019-06-19 at 11.10.17 PM.png

The Starfighter combo of Torellian Raider and Orion starfighter were two of my favorites.
easily cloned Erockets has the fin sets and the nose ones and Tango Papa has the decals

Back