Estes Sonic igniters on AT 29mm motors?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emckee

Reaction score
Has anyone had experience using the Estes Sonic igniters to light an AT 29mm motor?

In particular, I'm thinking of those times where my copperhead (that came with the motor) doesn't work, and I need a backup. Normally I've gone with a first-fire Jr igniter for something like a G64, and they work well. The Sonic's are significantly less expensive, but also appear to have significantly less pyrogen on them.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
-e

The Estes SU motors that use Sonic igniters are just repackaged AT motors. So for SU AT motors, they pretty much have to work. Not sure about RMS.

For all ignition purposes, RMS are the same too... they will work in them fine. They will work in virtually any MPR motor they fit in.

You hit the nail on the head with the pyrogen though (no pun intended). I've had one fail to light a blue thunder motor. Tiny pyrogen head! Just make sure you have good propellant contact. I always bend the head about an inch down to aid this. Despite my spotty performance, I've seen and heard of many others use these with success.

Was wondering about this myself a while back. Thanks for posting and the responses.

Thanks for the responses!

Based on this, I'll give them a shot.

-e

A given batch of Estes Sonics have less pyrogen at the tip than either Aerotech First-Fires or Copperheads (at least to my eyes). Getting that tip in contact with the propellant (with a 30 degree or so bend below the tip before inserting) is the key to consistent success with them.

View attachment 272592aerotech first fire.jpg aerotech copperhead.jpg

Looking through the "Similar Threads" section at the bottom of this post will give you some other perspectives.

Last edited:
They suck to put it bluntly I am 80% fail rate with them, if you re-dip them they do ok. But I will never buy them again. Half hour or more between a closed range and 3 miss fires can eat up your day.

TA

I dip my own now and I have yet to make the walk of shame to the pad.

TA

You could always snake two of them together. Twice the ignition area.

True but that's twice the thickness going into the nozzle so they may not fit and if they did it would up your "nozzle clogging CATO" chances (albeit rare IMO) and it also doubles the cost.

They suck to put it bluntly I am 80% fail rate with them, if you re-dip them they do ok. But I will never buy them again. Half hour or more between a closed range and 3 miss fires can eat up your day.

TA

Agreed on all points!

I'd say use em if you have em and go for a different option if given the choice. I've had way more success with crapperheads than these.

Last edited:
These seem to be a very inconsistant experience. To date, I've had only one misfire with the Sonics. Only one misfire with First Fire Jr. And no misfires with Copperhead. But, obviously, I seem to have hsd better luck than most.

I've used Estes Sonic igniters maybe 2 times on 29/40-120 AT reloads (since that was what I had on me and I forgot the original FFJ igniter) and have had success both times. To be honest, I felt the igniter was kinda of wimpy for the task; however it was easier to insert and I just made sure that it was all the way up as far as it can go to where it should be and have had success.

Would I do it if I had a different igniter at hand? Probably not since it's not worth the buck or so in savings to have to have a failed launch, return to pad, reprep, wait again, etc.

Of the times I've used AT & Estes igniters for F+ AP launches this year, the only time I had an issue was with a Sonic one and that one had the tip slightly toasted and that was it...my one and only failed AP launch (was a SU too).

I tried one in an AT 29 mm motor because I was really tired of spending $3-4 bucks on a FF Jr. and essentially adding 25% to the cost of the motor. The range officer counted down to 1 and nothing happened for about 3-4 seconds. Then the motor ignited and the rocket took off. The range officer said, "I didn't know the igniter had a delay." I don't really know what happened, but I agree with the previous poster that the igniter seemed kind of wimpy. I'm not sure if I want to try another one or not. I'm like many of the previous posters, I hate a failed launch.

Today I was using an Aerotech SU motor in my Estes Leviathan. Using my Pro Series II controller, the igniter fizzled, and there was a flash, but that was it. Returned to my range box, grabbed an Estes Sonic and after waiting about three minutes, inserted that. Worked like a charm. I've had nothing but good launches using the Sonic igniters, so I guess user mileage may vary.

Latest posts

Back