Looking for advice on sustainer ignition electronics

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Slick-Ice

Reaction score
I'm looking for a small timer with altimeter/accelerometer that can at motor burnout - 1) ejection charge for booster 2) airstart 38mm aerotech H123W or H130W
Is a 2S LiPo enough to light one of these motors? Does something like the Wildman LITTLE-UNS-SM light faster than the FirstFire?

Upper e-bay (probably another Eggfinder Quasar) tracking, primary drogue, main parachute
If the motor lights - motor ejection backup for drogue after apogee

featherweight Blue Raven - Looks like it will work?
Missileworks PET2+ V2.0 Release - Does this even exist?
Apogee SimpleTimer - Doesn't look like it can eject booster? Is only a timer after launch - no burnout detection?
Altus EasyTimer - says it will handle air starts and staging but I can only find in the release notes "fire the 'main' channel at first motor burnout" can it do both?
Anything else?

It is going to be a 2.2" LOC BBX 38mm with LOC e-bay and Apogee Sandhawk ebay-sled. The lower half of the sustainer is wrapped with carbon fiber sleeve so I can't use a GPS tracker inside of the Apogee sled.
Please let me know if I am missing something or should use a different design.

Eggtimer is another option. I am not familiar with all of them. Proton, maybe?

I don't think any avionics can reliably fire a motor igniter. You need to use e-matches and augment them (pyrodex pellet, Blue Thunder sliver) to light Aerotech motors.

Edit: Looks like you have a Quasar, so you know about Eggtimer stuff.

Eggtimer is another option. I am not familiar with all of them. Proton, maybe?

I don't think any avionics can reliably fire a motor igniter. You need to use e-matches and augment them (pyrodex pellet, Blue Thunder sliver) to light Aerotech motors.

Edit: Looks like you have a Quasar, so you know about Eggtimer stuff.
The proton is the only one with an accelerometer.
The Blue Raven does more than 2S for input so I am assuming it will do everything I need it to and start a motor off an igniter on 3S but can't say I have tried.

I have used an Eggtimer Quantum but since it does not have an Accel everything is timer based off Launch detect. And with only 2 channels is limited to what can be fired, I did motor ignition & Main deploy.

Then put an Eggtimer Proton into the sustainer. This has an Accel so can detect motor burn-out to start timers.
Also with 6 channels it does Seperation, Motor ignition, Drogue charge and Cable-cutter to release Main chute.

I use a 2S LiPo 40C battery. Tests show the Quantum or Proton can fire AeroTech igniters. However, I make my igniters and use 40ga nichrome (needs less current to fire) dipped in Quickburst ProCast or CTI motors with their ematches. Those have always fired but it still takes a second or more for the motor to come up to pressure.

Do Test the controller/battery you plan to use with the igniters you plan to use.

I'm building a two-stage with a Proton that will control air start events (separation charge and sustainer motor ignition) as well as primary recovery deployments. No tilt lockout, but the baro and accelerometer do an altitude / distance deviation lockout.

Back