Estes - Scorpion (#1333) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jazzviper1

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This is one of my many upscales.
It has yet to fly, It will be D to D.

Many Thanks to Semroc and TangoPapa for this one.

Copied to gallery with permission

Attachments

• PA270042.jpg
    PA270042.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 94
  • PA270043.jpg
    PA270043.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 107
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mike: Great job! Really beautiful work. Would you happen to have the Estes part list for the scorpion? I understand that the mongoose fin cans are the same or at least similar to the original but not sure as to which semroc BT and NC are needed. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. Take care, Jeff

Hi Mike: Great job! Really beautiful work. Would you happen to have the Estes part list for the scorpion? I understand that the mongoose fin cans are the same or at least similar to the original but not sure as to which semroc BT and NC are needed. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. Take care, Jeff

Here is a link to the instructions which have the tube lengths appended at the end. Unfortunately it is not the old style list with each part spelled out but maybe it will help

https://plans.rocketshoppe.com/estes/est1333/est1333.htm

Here is a link to the instructions which have the tube lengths appended at the end. Unfortunately it is not the old style list with each part spelled out but maybe it will help

https://plans.rocketshoppe.com/estes/est1333/est1333.htm

THANK YOU JAL3!!! This helps out tremendously. I think I can get one now:) The mongoose kit looks like the same kit although the parts index is also missing from the instruction sheet. Go figure......
Take care, Jeff

Last edited:
Here's my 1980s vintage Estes Scorpion (#1333) that I found in a box of my old rockets.

I prefer this finishing scheme over that of the Mongoose.

Estes Scorpion.jpg

Hi Bob:
Awesome looking Scorpion! May need to investigate the mongoose\Tangopapa decal option! Have a great Thanksgiving! Jeff

I've never seen a Scorpion or a Mongoose up close. Can anybody tell me the relationship between them, if any? Is one a variant of the other?

Welcome to the Estes Scorpion (#1333) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Estes Scorpion (#1333) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Estes: Scorpion: #1333

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Estes Scorpion (#1333) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Scorpion Also known as:

NUMBER: #1333

Introduced: 1979
Final Year: 1988
Designer:

Type: 2 Stage
Motor Mount: 1x18mm/1x18mm
Recovery: Tumble/Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 28.5"
Diameter: 0.976"
Span:
Weight: 1.8 oz

Mfg. Description: High flying two-stage sport model with research vehicle styling. Easy-to-build and exciting to fly with all plastic fin units, plastic cone, realistic two-color decals and 12" recovery parachute. Booster employs tumble recovery while upper stage streaks skyward to altitudes over 1,000 feet. (Estes 1980 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

estes-scorpion%201333-1980%20cat.jpg
1980 Catalog

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

estes-scorpion%201333-instr%201.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
I recall the "Scorpion" had symmetrical tapered fin cans just like the old "Challenger 1" rockets. The "Mongoose" might have the newer version with the flat-bottom-edge fin cans. The fin cans were also the same as the old "Star Wars Proton Torpedo" and "Star Trek" rockets.

These were great rockets and easily modified for a payload sections too!

rocket pictures 2 2015 015.jpgrocket pictures 2 2015 014.jpgI recently cloned a Mongoose into a Scorpion. Thanks to Excelsior for the decals.

Thanks. Search "Excelsior Rocketry" for the website. I don't know how to post links.

Back