Estes Saturn V cluster modification

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetra2

Reaction score
Hi all,

After reading the thread "Saturn a Good Kit??" thread lower down in this forum, I had an idea that I think has some merit for this model. The idea is to use a 3x24mm motor mount in in, for three D12's, three E9's (maybe), and other easy to light clusters. BUT, instead of having the tubes being directly mounted to the centering rings, which, by the way, would likely be 1/8th lite ply or basswood, they would be mounted in a BT-70 tube, utilizing a Fliskits Richter Recker-style motor mount. Then, with this modification, the BT-70 stuffer tube would run all the way up the main BT, and all of the chutes would be ejected out of the BT-70, so there wouldn't be many worries about not enough pressure or anything like that.

Thoughts?

Jason

Lets see... the Saturn V is 4" diameter? M1939 is 4" diameter.... hmmm ...... :D

I would go with a 5 motor cluster :). Make it look like the real thing :).

That was my idea in the first place! :D :D

DO YOU SEE WHAT YOU'VE DONE TO ME?!?!! ;) :D :p

Jason

Jetra2 - I just read your post from Jan so this might be too late, but here's a copy of what I just posted on another Sat V thread about an ejection charge tube inside the main BT...

"For recovery I'm using one large 28" chute, with the top section attached in the same bridle config as the stock model. But I enlarged the chute bay to accommodate the larger chute and shock cords. To pop the chute, I put a tube (lined with aluminum foil) from the top of the MM to the bottom of the parachute bay which is used to collect the ejection charge in a smaller area than the main BT. At the top of the tube is a balsa funnel into which goes a plug that has a 1/8" bulkplate on top. When the ejection charge goes off, the gas expands, pushes the plug and bulkplate up and pops the nose section and chute. No need for wadding - nothing gets burned or melted."

Just another way to adress what you're thinking about...
Leland

Back