• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Estes Optima #2035/Estes Shadow #2094

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pheenomx

Reaction score
Anybody have a preferably opened Estes Optima and Estes Shadow? I will take sealed but would rather have opened since i am building and flying these. Looking to build these two rockets because of their size and power. I will pay fair market value for these and will pay immediately. I got sniped on the Shadow recently sold on eBay. Let me know, thank you.

eBay has been nuts for these kits. Last one I got took $105. It's to the point I'm just starting to clone them. Semroc makes a perfect fin set, NC can be stolen off an executioner, and the rest is easy.

I had stickershock cut the text logo, and I have a giant stash of metal flake Vinyl and silver metallic vinyl I've been using. Not 100% match, but I'd call it 95% on the metal flake I found.

Original Optima and Shadow, and a Clone in the middle built out of BlueTube and a LOC nosecone (and the above mentioned unbuilt kit.) The LOC cone is pretty close but not perfect. Bluetube is nearly indestructible compared to the estes tubing/balsa versions. LOC tubing would do well for a 29mm mount.
6176388266_1e12ee840c.jpg

Two downscales I built using Sticker Shock "optima" and hand-cut stripes.
7253489402_176ac08a8a.jpg

The finished Bluetube Optima with stickershock Optima logo. I was going to stripe it, but when I got it painted this far, decided to stop.
6513926979_304fda444f.jpg

I've got one or two more builds planned in this style. Thinking a quick 4 x 24 build next maybe.

Last edited:
Definitely better off making a clone. I managed to get one off ebay for $40 or $50 and built it stock, and it was totally underwhelming. I figured such a cool design really deserved better, so to build another one, I got all the parts from Semroc and went with a 29MM motor mount. That is what the optima really needs. If you go the semroc route, they also have the nose cone in balsa but it is a little pricey. You can also use only two tubes instead of 3 like the estes kit. I build mine so It breaks in the middle. I decided the optima deserves even more, so I am building a 38MM version with TTW fins and heavy duty semroc tubing that is Dual Deploy. StickerShock can make the decals for you. If you are in the D.C. area we can make a deal for my built stock one if you really want. (it would be too much to ship it)

Here is the Optima 29. I did not make the Black portion long enough, so it looks a little funny, but it is very light. I flew it on a G 64 once and on a clear day it was so high up there it was just a dot. I did not have an altimeter but it was waaaay up there. good luck.

optima29crop-vi.jpg

Yea, the stock kit doesn't get much height off a D12. E9 would be scary. Hoping the E12's will lift it.
I do enjoy the low flights though. One of the reasons I love this kit

29mm really shines. Mine is 44oz and flies on F50's through G78's so far. One day I'll do a 38mm DD.

I got a core sample from 100 feet on a D12-5 that acted like a D12-7 even though half of the charge didn't fire.

Thank you for the info. I will look into cloning. I live in Florida.

Back