Estes Odyssey Build -- Part 9

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Use Wadding? Why? I’m Baffled!
With a 1.3 inch airframe, this kit is just large enough for a baffle. So I decided to make one and insert it before adding the shock cord in the airframe. Let’s get to it:
Now, I don’t have a manufactured baffle—no, that would be too easy. Let’s be adventurous and make a baffle from something common. Toilet paper/paper towel tubes are easy sources, but I don’t have one at the moment so let’s use a Coke carton! This should be fun—and cheap.
I started by cutting a strip of carton paper 2 inches wide and the length of the carton
IMG_0641.JPGIMG_0642.JPG
Next, roll it around a dowel to give it a curl.
IMG_0644.JPG
Insert the roll in the airframe tube, and cut off the excess paper with scissors. We need enough paper for 1.5 trips around the inside of the airframe. Then, trim it down so there is about 1/4 inch overlap
IMG_0645.JPGIMG_0646.JPG
Now we need to remove the excess piece of paper, so the tube fits in the airframe tube with no overlap. Put a piece of tape down the paper, to hold it as we remove the paper. Use a pen/pencil to mark the place where the tube overlap ends
IMG_0647.JPGIMG_0648.JPG
Cut off the excess with scissors—save it. We’ll use it in a moment. Put a piece of tape on the outside to hold the homemade tube together
IMG_0649.JPG
Now, sand the glossy printed surface of the narrow tab we cut out, and glue it inside the tube right on top of the joint, to strengthen the joint. You can cut another piece to reinforce the joint, but you want a narrow piece of paper to strengthen the tube. Re-insert the new coupler tube into the airframe while the reinforcing strip hardens. I frequently push on the reinforcing strip to make sure it bonds well as it hardens. After the strip sets, the tape can be removed from the outside of the new coupler.
Time to make bottom and top of the baffle. This baffle will have gas openings on the outside facing the motor, and near the center on the side facing the parachute. Start by tracing the airframe tube on a piece of Coke carton
IMG_0653.JPG
Cut out the pieces. They will be slightly too large. We will trim them after they are glued on the coupler.

...ran out of picture space......finish the baffle in Part 10

Back