Estes Odyssey Build -- Part 11

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Final Steps to Paint

Time to insert the baffle in the airframe. I inserted mine 6 inches from the forward end of the rocket. I marked the depth on a wooden stick, so I would know when to stop pushing it.
IMG_0666.JPG
I used a straw (also marked with tape) to deliver a nice big bead of glue around the inside of the airframe, where the top of the baffle will rest. I then push the baffle (correct side up!) into the glue using the dowel rod. Turn the rocket over, and put a bead of glue around the top of the baffle. Let this dry.
IMG_0668.JPG
Once the baffle is glued in the airframe, we can install the shock cord. I threw away the rubber cord that came with the kit—too short. I want 4-5X the rocket length for my cord. I cut a 7ft piece of 1/4 inch elastic for this kit. I used the standard Estes paper anchor. I know some people reject it, but I’ve not had problems with it. There are two keys to success: (1) be liberal with the glue; (2) continuously push the pieces of paper together during assembly, and push it into the airframe several minutes after inserting it in the airframe.
IMG_0670.JPG IMG_0671.JPG IMG_0673.JPG
Notice that once I folded section 1 over section 2, I added glue to that folded surface (it had no glue). All surfaces must be glued for this anchor to function.
Here is the shock cord anchor in place. I has to be at least 2 inches inside the airframe to clear the nosecone shoulder. Mine is almost 3 inches inside.
IMG_0675.JPG
Finally, to prep for primer, we need to protect some surfaces. I put paper inside the ray gun pods—so gun assemblies can be later glued after final paint. Also put paper inside the motor tube, and the launch lug. I cut a 2.5 inch wide piece of paper to protect the interior of the jet engine tube—I will need to glue the jet engine in there later. I want the ends painted—they are visible, but the interior must be unpainted so the glue will adhere.
IMG_0679.JPG IMG_0683.JPG IMG_0684.JPG
Whew! I think we are now ready for primer.

Back