Quantcast

Estes Nike Smoke

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Cl(VII)

Chris Bender, Lab Rat
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
Flown mine on a G80 and an H97. I put the fins together with epoxy and solvent welded the seams though.

ChicagoDave

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I flew mine on H128 and H135 quite successfully, if you want to try L1 motors in it. I used packing tape over the leading edge of the fins.

~Dave~

Cl(VII)

Chris Bender, Lab Rat
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
I flew mine on H128 and H135 quite successfully, if you want to try L1 motors in it. I used packing tape over the leading edge of the fins.

~Dave~
That is brilliant! The couple I have seen fail were always the leading edge of the fin opening up, at least that is how it looked in flight or post mortem. That is why I solvent welded mine with dichloromethane, but packing tape is a WAY easier way to go.

dhbarr

Amateur Professional
Reaction score
That is brilliant! The couple I have seen fail were always the leading edge of the fin opening up, at least that is how it looked in flight or post mortem. That is why I solvent welded mine with dichloromethane, but packing tape is a WAY easier way to go.
I did a solvent weld AND tape over the leading edge.

Charles_McG

Ciderwright
Reaction score
I did white gorilla glue in the core and tape over the edge.

I think the worst flight I've had with the stock nosecone was a G33. It weathercocked badly and crinkled the body at ejection.

But it's gotten a lot of flights since with modified nosecones.
Like this one:
IMG_0107.jpg

Or this one:
12C393BE-A5DB-4E44-9E1C-61C4C3728B9A.jpeg
This one was on a H237. The nosecone had a G88 in it.