Estes Nike Smoke

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flown mine on a G80 and an H97. I put the fins together with epoxy and solvent welded the seams though.

I flew mine on H128 and H135 quite successfully, if you want to try L1 motors in it. I used packing tape over the leading edge of the fins.

~Dave~

That is brilliant! The couple I have seen fail were always the leading edge of the fin opening up, at least that is how it looked in flight or post mortem. That is why I solvent welded mine with dichloromethane, but packing tape is a WAY easier way to go.

That is brilliant! The couple I have seen fail were always the leading edge of the fin opening up, at least that is how it looked in flight or post mortem. That is why I solvent welded mine with dichloromethane, but packing tape is a WAY easier way to go.
I did a solvent weld AND tape over the leading edge.

I did white gorilla glue in the core and tape over the edge.

I think the worst flight I've had with the stock nosecone was a G33. It weathercocked badly and crinkled the body at ejection.

But it's gotten a lot of flights since with modified nosecones.
Like this one:
IMG_0107.jpg

Or this one:
12C393BE-A5DB-4E44-9E1C-61C4C3728B9A.jpeg
This one was on a H237. The nosecone had a G88 in it.

Launched yesterday on an F26-6! Very high straight flight! I used a Public Missiles 30" chute with a spill hole....still was a long drift recovery. Good motor for this, but not crazy about the smoky black exhaust!IMG_0160.jpg

Well I launched again this weekend on my new field with another F26-6 Smokey motor. It just went too high and drifted over into the tree line!214D0945-FAA4-481A-9721-B29FB0F669D6.jpeg

I searched for 2 hours in the direction that I thought it drifted into…thought it just went into trees no more than 20’ back. Just could not find it and was about to give up. One last look into another opening further down.

I built mine stock. It flies beautiful on the G64, H128, and H180. The white lightning motors are just so perfect for that kit.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211011-090250_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211011-090250_Gallery.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 26
Question for you guys running the F26 motors. What does your rocket weigh empty? Mine is 26oz ready to go without motor. I've looked at the F26 a couple of times but never tried it as my SIM's show 26mph off a 6' rod. I'm surprised you had enough speed off the rod to be stable. There is to possibility that the specs for the F26 are wrong in OR. It's wouldn't be the first one I've found.

I've fed mine a nice diet of F67-6's and a a few F44-4's for small field flights. The F44 makes nice pop off the pad but only flies around 400ft. Great way to make a lot of noise :)

Last edited:
Back