Estes NASA SLS coming soon

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some masking and paint will spiffy it up

Attachments

• 20201110_152043.jpg
    20201110_152043.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 58
I think it will be a fine addition to the fleet, right next to the Saturn V RTF model. I was really hoping Estes would release an SLS kit, glad to see it coming soon.

Maybe eRockets will bring back the Dr. Zooch SLS someday for those who want a fun build ...

here is mine, totally un-retouched photo. Well, I might have GIMP-ed it a little.

SLS_ZOOCH_LAUNCH copy.jpg

I agree with you I would like to see eRockets reintroduce Dr. Zooch SLS. I never got a chance to get one.

I am really glad Estes is coming out with stuff like this....truly. But I really wish it would have been a builder kit. This is sad that this is not a kit.

Andrew

Yea.....speaking of the SLS...is NASA going to land and reuse It? Or dump millions of dollars of hardware into the ocean? Thats one expensive single use rocket....our tax dollars.

I presume this means that the Saturn V RTF sold well.

It is nice that they offer stuff like this, although I too would like to see an SLS builder's kit.

Along with the 1:200 SV, I think it's great to have some RTF scale to entice folks into the hobby. We have plenty of builders kits, nice to see the occasional scale RTF. Besides, I have so many builders kits, it's nice to occasionally pick up something like this that I can fly right away. Should be fun on D16 & D20 Q-Jets.

Along with the 1:200 SV, I think it's great to have some RTF scale to entice folks into the hobby. We have plenty of builders kits, nice to see the occasional scale RTF. Besides, I have so many builders kits, it's nice to occasionally pick up something like this that I can fly right away. Should be fun on D16 & D20 Q-Jets.
I note that it is listed at .7 oz less than the SatV (4.3 oz vs. 5 oz), so it should do a little better than the SatV on BP motors. But the D16 and D20 Q-jets should be ideal.

The SLS would not make a good mass-market KIT.

Making it a RTF was probably the only way to make it a profitable item.

I'll buy to display next to my unlaunched 1:200 Saturn V if those launch fins are removable.

It would seem to me, with all the able souls on this board, that a model could be devised in the manner that some have done for the SpaceX Falcon Heavy, bringing the boosters back on their own chutes & such. Isn't the Falcon Heavy the subject of the one fellow's attempt at active engine gimbaling, even trying to land the boosters? I forget his name but there are so many neat challenges out there (and I have to work...).

Am I the only one that has less than 0 interest in this thing. I want to like it but it has two major issues. The first is that it's prebuilt but I could live with that of it were not for this second issue. It's tiny... From what I've been told it's 19" tall with the plastic fins attached which means the rocket is probably less than 15"

I really like some of Estes newer designs but they need to upscale pretty much everything. I really wanted the Orange Bullet until I found out it's 5.9" long. Tell me why this isn't BT60 sized..

Ok. Sorry for the rant. :)

Am I the only one that has less than 0 interest in this thing. I want to like it but it has two major issues. The first is that it's prebuilt but I could live with that of it were not for this second issue. It's tiny... From what I've been told it's 19" tall with the plastic fins attached which means the rocket is probably less than 15"

I really like some of Estes newer designs but they need to upscale pretty much everything. I really wanted the Orange Bullet until I found out it's 5.9" long. Tell me why this isn't BT60 sized..

I'm passing on this as well, but not because of the size or because it's RTF.
I just cannot justify the price.
I think the price point may have something to do with licensing fees.
Hopefully Estes can get some money out of this once the SLS actually flies.
As far as the Orange Bullet, it's a repro of an early Estes design in their design book.
Engines were less powerful, rockets were smaller generally.

Yea.....speaking of the SLS...is NASA going to land and reuse It? Or dump millions of dollars of hardware into the ocean? That's one expensive single use rocket....our tax dollars.
Single use. $1 billion per launch. That's an illion with a B.

I also prefer builders kits, but an RTF scale model has a place for those who host launches for various kids groups like scouts, etc, in showing them what real current rockets look like. In the absence of a builders kit, it will serve as a reasonable stand-in to help inspire and get kids excited about rocketry and space exploration, hopefully. Or maybe learn some lessons about fiscal responsibility in one way or another.

I mean, sure, the kids are happy to launch their Alphas, but showing them the Dr Zooch Shuttle launch was the highlight of our Cub Scout launch, back in the day when I had a kid in scouts, and the actual Shuttle was still flying. They did not care if it was a builders kit or not.

Hmm, 1/200 scale ... that would go with the AMT "Man in Space" model kit.
Cool.
But I can't commit to the price right now.

<snip>
Because it is a replica of the original Vern Estes design.

At the risk of drifting off topic a bit.....the Orange Bullet kit builds a model which looks like the Orange Bullet designed by Vern but doesn't work like it. the original was tumble recovery, the kit dispenses with the weights on the TE of the fins that made it unstable without a motor installed and just relies on "featherweight" recovery - spit the motor and let it come in ballistically. At least it's not a pointy plastic nose cone like on a Swift 220 or Quark coming in that way....

AC Supply will have the RTF SLS at $42 when the get them in. If it's comparable to the 1/200 RTF Saturn V (which is the same price) when it comes out, it will be OK. But unlike the Saturn V, I'm in no hurry to get the model. I'd much rather see a SpaceX Super Heavy/Starship :D.

Added: just got an email from Estes inviting me to pre-order for shipment on 1/6/2021. I think I'll pass.

Last edited:
Back