Estes K-11 WAC Corporal clone finally finished...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mugs914

Beware of the leopard.
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The old Estes WAC was one of my absolute favorites back in the day. It was the second rocket I ever built (Got the WAC and an Alpha III at the same time) and I ALWAYS had one in the fleet. It flew every time I went to the field. If one was lost or wrecked (Often lost, rarely wrecked) it was replaced immediately.

A few years ago I decided that my BAR fleet was missing my old got-to and cloned one from plans downloaded from JimZ. It has been sitting in primer for over two years awaiting it's final paint. It was built as per the original except for a kevlar thread shock cord mounted through the tube and anchored along the launch lug/conduit. I wanted to do an accurate k-11 kit build as opposed to an accurate scale WAC Corporal, so the fins were sanded as per the plan, with beveled edges, and the paint is as described in the assembly drawing.

I never put this much effort into any of my earlier Estes WACs! I usually just slightly rounded the fin edges, later builds may have got a coat or two of sanding sealer, then were brush painted with whatever Testors enamel I had at hand. My previous incarnation as an impatient kid would never have allowed the time required to build one as Estes intended!

Now older (much), hopefully wiser (maybe a little), and marginally more patient than I was at ten years of age, there now is, at long last, a properly done Estes K-11 WAC Corporal in my fleet! There are a few touch-ups to do but for the most part it is good to go:

20200329_103311.jpg
20200329_103255.jpg
20200329_103455.jpg
20200329_103509.jpg

Joining a few of it's new brethren!
20200329_104406.jpg

Thanks for looking!

I think the WAC was my third rocket. Made mistake of launching it on a C on a windy day. That was over 40 years ago, but IIRC it weathercocked , ended up horizontal at about 100 feet, and probably ended up on somebody’s backyard next to the elementary school field I launched it from.

Thanks for the kind words guys!

The other rocket in the pic is a semi-scale Skybolt missile. It literally is the brother of the WAC in the sense that when I was primering the WAC nose cone I dropped it and the tip broke off. :mad: I ordered a new nose cone for the WAC (plus a couple of spares) and rounded off the broken tip of the old cone for use on something else. After seeing the result, I realized it was pretty much a dead ringer for the nose of a Skybolt (pic below), so I found a some pics and data and built the model to go with the nose cone! It has a 13mm motor mount, the fins are 1/32" ply (two layers of 1/64" laminated) and it recovers on a streamer. Really scoots on an A10!

Xagm-48a.jpg

The lifting body was built in 1996 or so and was designed to look like some sort of hypersonic recon/research vehicle. It is built up out of 1/8" balsa. Finish is a few light filler coats, gloss black, decals from an old SR-71 kit (plastic) and a nice dullcoat to finish it off. The panel lines are a combo of seams between balsa panels and some lightly scribed with a ball point pen. It has a dedicated booster that has an 18mm main and two fixed SRBs with 13mm mounts, though so far I have only flown it on the single main.

When trimmed properly the glide is fast and flat and surprisingly good for a lifting body. In fact it has a better glide than many conventional gliders that I have seen.:eek::cool:

Last weekend the sun was out so I took it out for a photo shoot since I didn't have any good pics of it. I was thinking I might give it it's own thread...

20200328_135951.jpg

Back