Estes hydrogen powered rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer
Reaction score
What have you all heard? What do you think? I think I want one :)

I found this on hobbylinc:

est1876 HYDROGEN PRJCT-X250 ROCKT
Not in Stock, due date unknown $49.99 $37.99

...and this was circulated on my club's email list...

PENROSE, CO - The Model Rocket Capital of the World. Estes Industries has taken one giant step into the future by introducing a revolutionary technology that generates clean-burning, energy efficient hydrogen fuel.

Now you can generate the fuel of the future and launch a rocket into orbit using the revolutionary hydrogen fuel technology created by the scientists at Estes®. This innovative alternative energy system uses water and electricity to generate the hydrogen fuel needed to thrust a sleek rocket 200 feet into the sky! The Hydrogen Fuel Rocket* Set is a wonderful mixture of science and entertainment and will have you outside launching rockets in minutes.

The Hydrogen Fuel Rocket Set comes complete with a hydrogen fuel generator, launch platform, a helicopter-style rocket that spins back to earth and a foam-tipped rocket that bounces when it hits the ground, a four-point system check, and a remote push-button ignition.

While the Hydrogen Fuel Rocket Set is fun for the whole family, it is recommended for ages 10 and up with adult supervision for those under 12.

Minor assembly required. Requires 6 D-size alkaline batteries - not included.

How it works.
By passing an electric current (using six D-size alkaline batteries) through a liquid solution composed of tap water and citric acid crystals (similar to lemon juice), the water molecule bonds are broken down into the primary elements of hydrogen and oxygen (this process is called electrolysis and takes place in the Fuel Generator). These separated hydrogen and oxygen molecules then bubble upward into a plastic ball (the Reaction Chamber) where an igniter is used to produce the heat necessary to combust the hydrogen fuel. The resulting expanding gases thrust the rocket high into the air. After the hydrogen ignites, it combines with oxygen to form the by-product, water!

For more information about this process, search for topics related to electrolysis, thermochemistry, chemical reactions, or the hydrogen economy. Remember, all living things use chemical energy in some way, it's an important part of all life processes. Explore science, ignite your imagination and have a blast!

Specifications:
EST 1876 Hydrogen Fuel Rocket*
Skill Level: Ready-To-Fly
Height: Fuel Generation & Launch System 20.5 in. (52 cm)
Length: Helicopter Rocket 11 in. (28 cm)
Bounce Rocket 11 in. (28 cm)
Recovery System: Helicopter
Max Altitude: 200 ft. (61 m)
Propellant: Hydrogen fuel mixture - Tap water & citric acid crystals
Power Supply: Requires 6 D-size alkaline batteries (not included)

ESTES INDUSTRIES HYDROGEN FUEL ROCKET SET
Hydrogen Power from Tap Water!

Revolutionary Hydrogen Fuel Technology!

· Generates Hydrogen Fuel from Water!
· Uses Ordinary Tap Water!
· Unlimited Rocket Launches to 200 Feet High!

I'm thinking upscale and 1000'. ;)
Obviously, no ejection principles with the helicopter and bounce recoveries. Still, I'll be futtzin with the package if it hits the market.

In principle this should work nicely! I wonder what the size of the reaction chamber is, and how long it takes to fill it will "fuel"? From several electrolysis of water experiments I did way back in high school, it may take a good 15 to 20 minutes to get at least 20 cc of "fuel" using 9 volts of power from the 6 D cells. The concept should be able to be scaled up as long as the combustion/reaction chamber walls are strong enough to direct and contain the reaction.

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

If you search on hobbylinc, you can fins a small thumbnail of the kit to get an idea of the chamber size. I was hoping someone here had seen a larger view.

Sounds too cool to pass up. Some of the TRF chemists might be able to improve the generation rate for us :) Maybe using more current or a different chemical to extact the hydrogen from?

"Not in Stock, due date unknown " There is a (poor) pic, so their vendors must have received some sort of notification. It will probably be a while. Maybe the TRF chemists will take the ball and run and beat Estes to the punch :)

You don't want to make too much LOL
hydrogen and air(not oxygen) if even slightly compressed, is extreemly explosive!

In fact, some airbag canisters are now made from compressed hydrogen and air
something unique about the mixture is it can ignite simply by compressing it too quickly .It doesn't require a spark or flame

I witnessed such an explosion at a TRW airbag assembly plant in england ..someone had installed the wrong type of valve in the wrong place so when the valve was shut off ,the mixture in the line compressed too quickly and exploded...violently !

I also learned that you cannot see hydrogen burning ..it's invisable, but it makes a sound like a train whistle as it burns

there are some other chemicals that will produce far more powerfull results with the electralisis experiment,hydrogen peroxide+( household item ) is one of them.

This reminds me of Mr. Wizard ..remember him?

he would build all these explosive experements yet he would always
name all of the ingredients but one...

"and now we mix in the.... white powder" LOL

that is awsome! I have been thinking about doing something like this with rocket made out of bottles. I had seen it done on a website and though it was cool. The guy simply filled the bottle with water, put it over the electric stem and pushed the button. The reaction happened and once there was enough pressure the hydrogen/oxygen ignited and the bottle took off.

This will be very interesting when it comes out

Cool! I will most likely use my 12vt battery instead of the 6 D batteries... faster electrolysis of water, and D batteries can become expensive....

Now when are they going to release a Nuclear Ion rocket? :D

Why not construct a similar setup in say, H impulse, with a altimeter for deployment?

Next thing you know the good 'ol BATF will require us to have a LEUP to purchase or posess more than a gallon of water. God help you if you drink too much coffee and try to drive across state lines without stopping at the border to pee :)

Best use an awaycell with that much H & O mixed together :) I would like to adapt this to a hydrogen-pressurized water rocket though.

Next thing you know the good 'ol BATF will require us to have a LEUP to purchase or posess more than a gallon of water. God help you if you drink too much coffee and try to drive across state lines without stopping at the border to pee :)

you can't save yer pee, you might extract the saltpeter from it.

Dick and Folks

This is really more of a projectile than a rocket.

What's hapening is that water electrolyzes into hydrogen and oxygen gas. The gas mixture is ignited in the upper sphere. The extremely rapid combustion creates hot, high pressure gas (steam) which pushes the rocket off the pad. Since the combustion is over in a few milleseconds, it's more like a CO2 pellet gun than a rocket.

The process is not very scalable. If you were to upscale the system and increase the volume substantially, you would risk blowing everything apart since a stochometric hydrogen-oxygen mixture can readily transition into a detonation with substantially higher pressure generation.

I'm sure that Estes has engineered in some safey features such as a pressure relief hole in the upper sphere to limit peak pressure, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it pulled off the market after some kids get hurt trying to get "more" performance out it.

Bob

Hi Bobkrech...welcome to the forum.
That sounds ligit. To bad though..would liked to have seen a bigger version of this.

bob, I generally agree with your comment of the unit and the fuel. I wouldn't want to over pressurize the stock unit. You are probably right about it being short lived on the market, but then the people who will get in trouble with this are probably be the same ones who abuse the estes rocket motors.

Originally posted by bobkrech
Dick and Folks

This is really more of a projectile than a rocket.

What's hapening is that water electrolyzes into hydrogen and oxygen gas. The gas mixture is ignited in the upper sphere. The extremely rapid combustion creates hot, high pressure gas (steam) which pushes the rocket off the pad. Since the combustion is over in a few milleseconds, it's more like a CO2 pellet gun than a rocket.

HEY!!! IT'S BOB KRECH!!!

Welcome to the forum buddy :). Rocketeer's, let me introduce you to my friend :). Like me, he is a member of CMASS and NAR S&T. He works for a company called PSI, where they do experiments on missiles and projectiles. He tried hooking me up with a job a year or so ago, but that did not fan out. Not his fault though... This guy knows his stuff, and is very helpful with those technical questions.

cool stuff maybe he could help me get on S&T I have been sending emails for a long time and no one has replied. I really want to get on that comitte

That hydrogen powered rocket(or projectile)looks very cool..Is it available now or does anybody know when they will become available??

Not available and no release date that I've seen. Anyone know how long it was between when the new military kits were announced and when they appeared on the shelves?

If I recall, they were announced in the spring for a late summer release.

I as looking in a Catalog and I saw the hydrogen powered rocket for $39. looked cool, I wonder how long the batteries last, I'm thinking this will go through the batteries.but maybe not

Does anybody know what happened to this rocket?

How did it perform?

Is it still on the market, what is its status?

thanks

I just saw it in the latest issue of "Popular Science" magazine in the "new" section so it should be released soon.

Looks kinda toy like though...all plastic.

sandman

I saw a prototype at the HobbyVisions show in Las Vegas last October. (People REALLY need to go to these shows! They are great.)

It was delayed because they were tweaking some componenets to get more altitude. It sounded like they were working on the fit of the rocket to the tube. Either too tight or too loose.

They alos demo'd that Kick Dis puck. It is seriously cool. If you play street hockey you should get one. It would also be cool on ice or on a nice big flat floor (gym?).

Originally posted by rstaff3
What have you all heard? What do you think? I think I want one :)

I found this on hobbylinc:

est1876 HYDROGEN PRJCT-X250 ROCKT
Not in Stock, due date unknown $49.99 $37.99

...and this was circulated on my club's email list...

PENROSE, CO - The Model Rocket Capital of the World. Estes Industries has taken one giant step into the future by introducing a revolutionary technology that generates clean-burning, energy efficient hydrogen fuel.

Now you can generate the fuel of the future and launch a rocket into orbit using the revolutionary hydrogen fuel technology created by the scientists at Estes®. This innovative alternative energy system uses water and electricity to generate the hydrogen fuel needed to thrust a sleek rocket 200 feet into the sky! The Hydrogen Fuel Rocket* Set is a wonderful mixture of science and entertainment and will have you outside launching rockets in minutes.

The Hydrogen Fuel Rocket Set comes complete with a hydrogen fuel generator, launch platform, a helicopter-style rocket that spins back to earth and a foam-tipped rocket that bounces when it hits the ground, a four-point system check, and a remote push-button ignition.

While the Hydrogen Fuel Rocket Set is fun for the whole family, it is recommended for ages 10 and up with adult supervision for those under 12.

Minor assembly required. Requires 6 D-size alkaline batteries - not included.

How it works.
By passing an electric current (using six D-size alkaline batteries) through a liquid solution composed of tap water and citric acid crystals (similar to lemon juice), the water molecule bonds are broken down into the primary elements of hydrogen and oxygen (this process is called electrolysis and takes place in the Fuel Generator). These separated hydrogen and oxygen molecules then bubble upward into a plastic ball (the Reaction Chamber) where an igniter is used to produce the heat necessary to combust the hydrogen fuel. The resulting expanding gases thrust the rocket high into the air. After the hydrogen ignites, it combines with oxygen to form the by-product, water!

For more information about this process, search for topics related to electrolysis, thermochemistry, chemical reactions, or the hydrogen economy. Remember, all living things use chemical energy in some way, it's an important part of all life processes. Explore science, ignite your imagination and have a blast!

Specifications:
EST 1876 Hydrogen Fuel Rocket*
Skill Level: Ready-To-Fly
Height: Fuel Generation & Launch System 20.5 in. (52 cm)
Length: Helicopter Rocket 11 in. (28 cm)
Bounce Rocket 11 in. (28 cm)
Recovery System: Helicopter
Max Altitude: 200 ft. (61 m)
Propellant: Hydrogen fuel mixture - Tap water & citric acid crystals
Power Supply: Requires 6 D-size alkaline batteries (not included)

ESTES INDUSTRIES HYDROGEN FUEL ROCKET SET
Hydrogen Power from Tap Water!

Revolutionary Hydrogen Fuel Technology!

· Generates Hydrogen Fuel from Water!
· Uses Ordinary Tap Water!
· Unlimited Rocket Launches to 200 Feet High!

I'm glad to hear it is progressing. True 'rocket' or not, I want one :)

Back